Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Galaxy Forge map issue

By on May 1, 2013 1:20:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Iashar

Join Date 01/2010

Hello, I've been having an issue with the phase lanes in a map I made in Galaxy Forge.

They seem to completely disappear, even though they are set to ALWAYS spawn.

It is getting frustrating, as I've tried to find a solution and not seen anything on it.

(sorry about not using spoiler tags, don't know how yet)

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/1732/phaselanefailure.png

^This is how the section of the map shown in the next link looks when I try to explore it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img153/5059/howitshouldlook.png

I am using the distant stars alpha release for Rebellion, if it makes a difference,

but I made the map using the normal planet sets, in an unmodified Galaxy Forge.

Locked Post 8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 1, 2013 1:57:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What's a Galaxy Forged?

Also, isn't there extra content you need to use for DS related maps in the Forge?

May 1, 2013 2:25:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fixed post name, and unknown, I was making the map so that it could be used with or without DS, as I thought it only added things into the categories to be placed in on generation.

As for testing the map without DS, I can't even log into steam to test, because there seems to be some form of disconnect between the server and I.

May 1, 2013 3:12:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Iashar,
as I thought it only added things into the categories to be placed in on generation.

You'd have to ask the DS guys, but it is certainly possible that they deleted or renamed certain planet types that resulted in the game being unable to generate the planets. You could test this by running the game in the developer.exe and see if it throws any error messages when starting the map.

May 1, 2013 3:41:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Am I able to do that offline? For some reason I'm unable to log into the steam app on my computer, but the website seems fine. I really wish I could play without needing steam, also, I have to restart steam anytime I want to start up a different game, or I get errors. For example, say SoaSE:R minidumps, or crashes out for some reason, as it does for me sometimes. I then have to restart steam in order to restart the game. That goes for any of my other "on steam" games. I should not have to restart the entire program to get one game to work more than once. 

Edit:I borked my own login-that's fixed now. Will commence testing asap.

Re-Edit:Testing confirms that DS mod additions are most likely the source of the problem, with the mod disabled, all phase lanes are ingame. Thank you for helping me determine that, but how would I make it work with the mod, considering my friend and I enjoy playing on it? Are there things I can add to GalaxyForge from the alpha version of DS it to make the DS version of the map? (I don't mind having to rebuild it from scratch.)

May 1, 2013 4:37:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Creating Forged maps for a mod usually needs a file from the mods GameInfo folder called

GalaxyScenarioDef.galaxyScenarioDef or GSD

if the mod included GF, it should have their GSD included with a folder that has their custom icons for planets. If not, you need to at least backup the GF GSD and place the mods GSD in GF. Making mod specific maps should include the mod name in the map name (DS-Overthrow) as they most likely will bork with other mods or the regular game.

May 1, 2013 5:15:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So then there would be 2 maps, and 2 versions of GF, right? One set modded, the other original flavor. I think the DS mod came with an "extras" folder, I'll look in there for the GSD first, logically. Then I'll try to figure out how to get it to work in GF. Thank you.

May 1, 2013 7:35:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the GSD is also in the mod's gameinfo folder, and if a mod does NOT work with maps from vanilla, then the mod still NEEDS a lot of work, and you will have to make versions of the map for the mod and vanilla and CLEARLY label the maps as to which mod and version of the mod.

harpo

May 1, 2013 3:33:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There was a folder in the extras that contained the GF items (icons and GSD) so now I can get it to work properly. Also, wow, I got 3 names I recognized from reading and trying to learn things about sins on the forums. Thank you all for helping me!

I've started the new reconfiguration of the map using the edited GF, and it automatically asked if I'd like to change some planets it said would be "incompatible ingame." So I accepted the change and am now altering them accordingly, hopefully once I've got that finished I can play the map without losing my precious phase lanes to a glitch.

Edit: Map works now that I recreated it with the modded GF. You guys rock.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time: