Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

What happen if i put a lot of texture and i no use it?

By on May 20, 2013 4:33:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Vash_AMR

Join Date 03/2011
+1

Hi all!

What happen if i put a lot of texture and i no use it?.

Example:

My mod folder called "Mixed Effects", i "mod" te effects of many mods, i put what effects i most like. So to do that, the simple way is putting all texture in the "texture folder".

i have:

Weapon_KODIAK_Travel

Weapon_KODIAK_Muzzle

Weapon_KODIAK_Hit

So every mod have their own texture name, and it use:

Bullet.dds
explosionsK.dds

But i have:

Bullet.dds
explosionsK.dds
xxx.dds
xxx.dds
xxx.dds
xxx.dds
xxx.dds
xxx.dds
xxx.dds
xxx.dds
xxx.dds

(xxx= another name texture)

These xxx texture, will load be the game??, consuming a portion of RAM?, or if the file no call the texture it no will be leaded???

I ask because recently i read this

Yarlen
Yeah, the game loads up all of the textures (which includes skyboxes) at run time, so even if a particular skybox isn't being seen, it's still in memory. As you can imagine, they're rather big, so adding more tends to result in out of memory crashes 

I can see which texture use every particle, but is annoying. If really consume memory, i will to do that

Sorry for my english.
Locked Post 23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 20, 2013 4:42:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The game will load everything in the Textures folder, period. If you have a texture file that is unused, it is needlessly consuming RAM.

May 20, 2013 4:49:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Perfect! really thx, i have work to be done. 

May 20, 2013 5:09:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
The game will load everything in the Textures folder, period. If you have a texture file that is unused, it is needlessly consuming RAM.

not quite, the entities are all loaded, which in turn calls the meshes and brushes, which in turn call the textures.

Go ahead and try to make a huge texture file that is not linked to a loaded mesh or a brush, see if it is in the 'worst textures' list in the dev.

so even if a particular skybox isn't being seen, it's still in memory

this is because the skybox mesh is loaded calling the texture

May 20, 2013 8:06:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
Go ahead and try to make a huge texture file that is not linked to a loaded mesh or a brush, see if it is in the 'worst textures' list in the dev.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the tip!

May 20, 2013 8:47:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
this is because the skybox mesh is loaded calling the texture

Don't all the skyboxes have different mesh files though?

May 21, 2013 4:30:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think we could simplify this by saying that the manifests are what matter most since those determine which files (and consequently what meshes and textures) are loaded....so, make sure you don't have unnecessary files in your manifests...

I would imagine that if you had large textures with lots of "waste" (ie you have a texture with 50 icons but your brushes file only references one of them) you might have a longer startup load time, but I don't think it would affect the memory of the game...

Getting rid of unused brushes references would help as well....

May 21, 2013 4:49:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
Don't all the skyboxes have different mesh files though?

Surely do, but they are all called at once by SkyBoxProperties.skyboxbackdropdata

May 21, 2013 4:56:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Correction, not just entities that call files as I just shown. And some textures are called by the engine like the debugs I replaced. Size in KB.

DebugOverlay.tga 4097   reneamed copy of NoTexture.tga 1
Debug-cl.dds 5462   reneamed copy of NoTexture.dds 1

May 21, 2013 9:57:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This Game is amazing, and mod is pretty funny and, is "easy", but take some time. 

I am Mod the TEC effects, i put a nice cannon effects on ankylon (for me), when i finish i will post images and videos, if any like or want the mod, i can uploaded it.  

I will try to eliminate unused textures, and change Shield protection of ankylon, is visually annoying

May 21, 2013 6:06:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Original Sins loaded "everything" in all of its folders because there were no "Manifests" From Entrenchment on that changed somewhat to "only what was on the manifests" though i still saw files loaded that were not on the manifests.

Rebellion should not have that problem, because it "should" load only what is on the manifests. When i redo TSOP for 1.5 ill double check to see if any unused textures load. They "shouldn't", but you never know.

May 21, 2013 6:44:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To be certain I keep unused stuff out of the mod directories and delete all sins content I am not using.

May 21, 2013 6:56:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
Original Sins loaded "everything" in all of its folders because there were no "Manifests" From Entrenchment on that changed somewhat to "only what was on the manifests" though i still saw files loaded that were not on the manifests.

The manifest makes modding a lot easier but original Sins works the same way as I described above. Original Sins did not use manifests so everything that was in the manifests now needed to be in an original mod, for folders anyway, if you modded 1 brush you needed the entire Window folder, dont mod a brush, no folder needed. All the brush files need to be in because of no brush manifest but the meshes were linked from the entities. If you removed a ship from the player entity, and removed the ship entity, there was nothing to call the mesh or the texture.

Quoting IskatuMesk,
To be certain I keep unused stuff out of the mod directories and delete all sins content I am not using.

Always a good habit.

May 21, 2013 7:15:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I made a copy of RaceLogos and connected it to one race in the Window\playerthemes to show that my texture folder is connected.

Hopefully we can put this to bed now 

May 22, 2013 11:01:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lulz, original Sins, why bother?

Quoting Vash_AMR,

This Game is amazing, and mod is pretty funny and, is "easy", but take some time. 

I am Mod the TEC effects, i put a nice cannon effects on ankylon (for me), when i finish i will post images and videos, if any like or want the mod, i can uploaded it.  

I will try to eliminate unused textures, and change Shield protection of ankylon, is visually annoying

You going to use any proper English while you're at it?

May 22, 2013 11:52:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

troll  alert 

May 22, 2013 11:56:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting XATHOS,
You going to use any proper English while you're at it?

Will you be using proper grammar in future posts?

May 22, 2013 3:45:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes yes i know, my english is shit and sorry.

May 22, 2013 6:54:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,

Quoting XATHOS, reply 14You going to use any proper English while you're at it?

Will you be using proper grammar in future posts?

I type 'MERICAN, thank you.

Quoting myfist0,

troll  alert 

When people make large posts that end up being nonsensical due to what they attempted to type, whatever is needed.

May 22, 2013 7:50:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

'MERICAN is a way of life, not just a language. This man knows his dream.

May 22, 2013 11:18:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting IskatuMesk,

'MERICAN is a way of life, not just a language. This man knows his dream.

Says the Canadian that claims to know something that he isn't.

May 22, 2013 11:42:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Canada is just America's hat. We are all taught at a young age to revere and worship our southern overlords.

May 23, 2013 11:33:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting IskatuMesk,
Canada is just America's hat. We are all taught at a young age to revere and worship our southern overlords.

May 24, 2013 12:58:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting IskatuMesk,

Good to see you know your place, Northman.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time: