Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Recruiting New Dev Team Members!

By on May 21, 2013 9:26:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

AgentDark905

Join Date 07/2008
+2

Hello, I am the founder of a brand new SINS developing team and we are open to recruiting!

---The Team---

Name: Sinful Studios

Project Title: Protocol 117

Project Description: In the events between Halo 3 and Halo 4, obviously much has changed. There is greater division in the Covenant and the Spartan IV program has revolutionized the UNSC. In Protocol 117, the story of everything that happened in the absence of the Master Chief is revealed.

Some Intended Features:

• Addition of a Campaign
  • Replacement/Addition of playable factions including: UNSC, Insurrectionists, Covenant, Heretics, Forerunners, and Promethians
  • Flood in place of Pirates

We currently consist of 3 members (including myself) and are in need of anyone who can do the following:

• 3D Modeling
  • Texturing
  • 2D Animation and/or Video Editing (for custom introduction movie and credits)
  • Particle Effects Creation/Editing
  • Sound Effects Creation/Editing

If you are interested in any of these, send me a private message with the application form below filled out and I will get back to you ASAP.

---A Little About Me---

I am an avid Halo Fan and thought this could be a great mod for SINS. Yes, I know of the existence of Sins of the Prophets, but since we have the same inspiration, there will be many similarities between the mods, but none of our concepts have been derived from their mod.

I am 18 years old. (I just figured I'd get that out there since I'm requesting your age in the application.)

I am more than capable of changing the entities, manifests, etc. and making sure everything functions internally. I have 2 years of personal programming experience and 1 year of professional programming experience and am finishing my studies for my A+ Certification (if that counts for anything here). I can also create installers so that adding the mod is easier (mainly for people who aren't adept at adding mods for their games), though I know making an installer isn't exactly hard.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

---The Application---

-COPY AND PASTE-

Desired Department:

Years/Months of experience: (rough estimate; ie: 4 years /or/ 10 months)

Are you currently or have you previously been part of any other modding teams?: (yes/no)

If so, who?: (list all; ie: "My Mod Team" - Current, "My Previous Mod Team" - 2 years ago)

Which mods did they develop?: (Must have been publicly released as at least a BETA, otherwise do not list it)

Which part(s) of those mods did you work on?:

Email: (Optional; preferably gmail, but not required)

-END-

---Other Stuff---

To be officially part of the team, we need to be able to keep in regular contact which is why I ask for your email and/or Skype. However, if you still want to help but cannot promise regular contact (for whatever reason), message me anyway. We won't turn you away just because you can't offer as much as someone else can. Don't think that not being officially part of the team will not earn recognition. Any and all contributions to our project will be recognized.

The reason I'd prefer you to have Gmail is so it's easier to share larger files by using Google Drive.

NOTE: Your computer MUST meet the RECOMMENDED Requirements to play Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion to effectively debug issues with the project. It is assumed that you have the latest version of the game.

If you have any questions/comments, please post respectfully or send me a private message (preferably a PM if it is a comment and a post if it is a question). I don't appreciate it when people make harsh comments concerning my posts. I do my best to show everyone here respect so please show that respect in return.

Locked Post 43 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 21, 2013 11:25:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You aren't going to get much interest without telling people what you're working on, nor by enforcing asinine time requirements.

May 21, 2013 2:35:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yep.  Demanding 7-10 hours a week from a modder (who is doing all this for free, by the way) isn't going to induce many people to join.  You also seem to be requiring several high-experience skills and expecting people with these to just jump at the chance to join your mod team and work on an unknown mod when if they've got those skills they stand a good chance of being able to make their own mod.

May 21, 2013 3:53:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I said Recommended. I'm not DEMANDING it (maybe I should change the wording). You guys need to chill. I don't know why everyone here is so edgy. I know I can't enforce that to a certain extent, but at the same time I don't want a slacker. I don't want this to be a freaking multi year project (I don't even want it to be a ONE year project). Plus, there's a reason why I'm not telling you straight up what we are doing.

I'm asking for people who know how to do some of these things because I CAN'T do those things to save my life and I can't spend 10 years trying to figure it all out. Plus, if you spend just an hour a day working on this, you meet the "requirement" easy.

EDIT: There, will you get off my back now?

May 21, 2013 4:41:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I hate to burst your bubble, but no way in hell will you be building a major mod up from scratch in less than a year without completely burning out afterwards or even while in the process of still making the mod.  You need a highly motivated and determined team to pull that off (like you and your two friends), and you won't get that from the people willing to apply to work on a mod sight-unseen.  If you want motivated and determined people willing to drop 7-10 hours a week on this mod, it better be a damn good mod with attainable goals and lots of vision, and you have zero evidence to show that it is.

TL;DR: People won't sign up to drop a lot of effort on a mod they know nothing about.

May 21, 2013 4:50:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sorry AgentDark905, I'm going to have to agree with what everyone else is saying.

Working on a mod is hard enough when it's your own project! That's when you know what your goal is and you're motivated to try and complete it. I've spent the last year and a half dipping in and out of my project, and I never intended it to be one of those mods that goes on for years. I guarantee that once you start work you'll want to get it perfect before releasing it, and unfortunately that will more than likely take more than a year.

I am interested to know why you can't us about what your mod is about? I can't think of a reason for not sharing an idea with the rest of us? No one will steal your idea.

Plus, saying you "can't do those things to save your life" and implying your modding ability is limited won't help attract people. I was in exactly the same situation before I started modding. Just start small and keep working at it. There are plenty of people willing to help if you get stuck and some really helpful tutorials on this site. Good luck with it.

May 21, 2013 5:04:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Modding is a learning process. I see nothing in that list that wouldn't be easy for you to pick up given time. The only "hard" things as far as sins are concerned is 3d models and textures. You can't animate anything in sins. Textures can be worked around. So it's just modeling. This is something you will inevitably need to learn, else all modding ventures involving graphics you attempt will be folly.

The less people in a team the better. The less you need to rely on people the better. I have been working on total conversions for close to 15 years now. That is the kind of devotion you will need if you want to make your dreams come to life. If you don't have that devotion then stop now before you waste a lot of time and end up regretting it.

May 21, 2013 5:51:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I do not mean to sound harsh. However. Unless you show the modding community a "proof of concept". You won't get any volunteers. Most wont volunteer even if you do have a concept. Especially if it is uninteresting to them. Expecting "quota's", and setting time limits to finish modding projects is a very bad idea. Modding is a Hobby for us. Not a full time Job!! Most if not all of us have Real Life Jobs, and Family's to take care of that come first. We do not have 24 hours a day. 7 days a week to dedicate to a project. Nor does anyone have that kind of motivation to put in that many hours of work for free. In our projects it gets done when it is done. No matter if it takes 1 year, or 5 years. In some cases it may "never" get done. There are no time limits. Such is the nature of modding.

I agree with Iskatumesk. From my experience with SoA 2, it is better to have a small, but dedicated team. By dedicated i mean they are willing to put at least "some" effort, and interest in the project. Plus they must be willing to learn new skills to do required task's. For example Scripting, 3d modeling, and 2d art for texturing.

I had somewhat of a head start, because i had modeling, and texturing experience from my old Homeworld modding days. However i did have to learn some things on my own. Learning XSI was a challenge. I worked alone on SoA 2 until others finally became interested in it, and joined the project. In other words i had to release a version i made SOLO as a "proof of concept" before anyone else took an interest in it. Right now the SoA 2 team consists of only THREE people. We have no set goals. No time limits. We work on it when we can. We had members come, and go, but all of their contributions are very valuable. Five years later SoA 2 is one of the best mods made for Sins. Patience, and the willingness to learn how to do things by yourself is the key. Otherwise any project you start will fail.

Your project will not come quick, or easy for you. There is no "Build this mod for me" button in Sins. If you cant find the talent you are looking for, but are dedicated to your vision. Then you must take it upon yourself to learn how to mod yourself. Help will come to you if the community likes what they see.

May 21, 2013 5:52:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

At least giving some of your credentials TC would help us know to take your seriously. We see all sorts of people recruiting for mods with basically no skills, only ideas. Why would we leave our projects to work on yours if we can not be certain you are not a "half hearted" modder yourself?

May 21, 2013 9:33:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Following

May 21, 2013 10:13:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok, I see everyone's point. I will update the main post. Hopefully that will clear some issues up.

May 21, 2013 10:43:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So. Out of curiosity. What is this project you are working on?

May 21, 2013 11:00:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Read my update bud. Your curiosity should be well satisfied

May 21, 2013 11:04:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I hope this issue of credibility (or whatever people are trying to tell me) has been cleared up. I just don't want my idea to end up stolen all because I couldn't get a team together. But I guess that's the nature of the beast.

May 21, 2013 11:14:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AgentDark905,

I hope this issue of credibility (or whatever people are trying to tell me) has been cleared up. I just don't want my idea to end up stolen all because I couldn't get a team together. But I guess that's the nature of the beast.

Well, as you say there is already a Halo mod, and adding a campaign to Sins is something that has been talked about a lot but gotten no where. It has obvious appeal but I'm not entirely sure why you're so concerned about someone taking your general idea.

I also started modding in high school, so don't let that intimidate you (and it doesn't seem like you are). I've only played Halo multiplayer with friends so directly working on this project would be of no interest to me, but we have a pretty supportive mod community here on technical issues, so do make use of it.

May 21, 2013 11:20:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, when I mean stealing my idea, I mean, like, ALL of my idea. Details and all (though I only revealed 10% of my concepts here, if even that much). If someone added a campaign to the game (regardless of what game it imitated) it wouldn't concern me much. Heck, I'd probably use their files as reference for this mod.

And, no, I'm not intimidated. Not at all. I'm really excited to get this started. I've already finished a small part on my own and I was overjoyed at my accomplishment. A small part of my vision has come to life and I am more determined than ever to see it to the end.

May 21, 2013 11:55:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A custom faction from scratch runs around 1800+ hours to fully complete by my estimates. You might be able to complete one of those factions in a years time or partially complete 2 or 3 with 3 people on the team. 

May 22, 2013 1:36:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can predict that the sins portion of Retribution will take me about a 3/4 a year to fully finish if I can work fairly regularly. That's around 5-6 full factions, including all sfx and models. By fairly regularly, I mean getting at least one thing finished a day. The average ship takes me about 2-3 days to create start to finished inside sins minus sfx and particles. The polish of particles has taken me many months to reach what I'd call privately demonstrable, however. I have a pursuit of perfection that eats a lot of time.

What causes the time to fluctuate is mood. My depression and anxiety completely screw with me. Salvation was supposed to be 2 months of work start to finish and it very well could have been, but I burned out hard and it took almost a year to end up with a vomity mess.

The lesson learned is, take your time and be patient with yourself.

May 22, 2013 8:34:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We are not making factions from scratch. To speed up the process, we will be using the entity files as a spring board and only change what is needed. The majority of the project that starts from scratch will be the models and textures. Other than that, everything else is more of an edit rather than something entirely brand new. But it won't feel that way. Haha

May 22, 2013 8:37:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting IskatuMesk,

I have a pursuit of perfection that eats a lot of time.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm the same way.

May 22, 2013 8:58:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AgentDark905,

We are not making factions from scratch. To speed up the process, we will be using the entity files as a spring board and only change what is needed. The majority of the project that starts from scratch will be the models and textures. Other than that, everything else is more of an edit rather than something entirely brand new. But it won't feel that way. Haha

Unless you are doing a simple model swap out this is a gross understatement to the amount of work you have before you.  This is ok though, many a modder has started this way only to learn they are in a five year project. 

May 22, 2013 11:24:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's better to start small, as unless you're inheriting/taking over an existing project, that adds on another 2-3 years in order to create basic art assets and sounds.

May 22, 2013 12:14:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sins of the Prophets started several years ago and the most they've released is a UNSC beta for Entrenchment.  This will take you many years to successfully finish.

May 22, 2013 12:31:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hahahaha

May 22, 2013 12:34:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am an avid Halo Fan and came up with the concept of this mod all on my own.

This line made me giggle a little.

May 22, 2013 5:39:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is another mod that is in direct competition with SoA 2. ST: Armada 3. I am not bothered by it. Nor am i losing any sleep over it. In fact i am encouraging these guys to finish their project. I always said if you didn't like what was in (or was not in) SoA 2. Then make your own damn Star Trek mod!

There are several Star Wars mods here as well. Along with BSG, and Stargate mods.

A little competition never hurts, and i doubt anyone here will be accusing you of stealing anything. Unless you usurp another mods models, and textures, and claim them as your own. If you do use 3rd party work. Always get permission from the original authors, and credit them where it is due. That will save you a whole lot of headache (and cease, and desist letters).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: