Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Want to create starbase only mod (no ships). One issue I can't get past.

By on June 24, 2013 6:33:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

silkshadow

Join Date 08/2006

Hello! I bought Sins since it first came out. I am familiar with basic modding. Had an idea a couple weeks ago to build a game where we would all play Vasari Rebels and could not build attack ships only starbases. Started working on it this weekend.

Got the basics in place. Just put fleet size to 0, increased planets/suns/asteroids, etc sbase limit to 100, unlocked the leveling so its now at 60, etc. It doesn't crash, but I still have a lot more work to do.

Probably have to make colony, scout, diplomacy, mine, etc ships 0 fleet reqs so the game still flows. I have to consider the logic for cap ships and Titan, but I changed the modifier in the recent version back to "StarBasesCanHyperspace" so should remove the need to have a Titan to move around the galaxy. Going to have to figure out how to enable sbases to jump galaxies so I can use occupied planet as a victory condition, but that is not important.

The thing that is hanging me up is the inability to fly more than 1 starbase to a planet. This breaks the mod. It clearly doesn't do a check against the allowed sbases per planet (as I have this set to 100). I can't seem to find where this is. Does anyone know if this is hard coded or if it is modable?

Thanks!

Locked Post 11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 24, 2013 12:22:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hardcoded.

June 24, 2013 12:27:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,

Hardcoded.

What about TEC Loyalist Twin Fortress?

June 24, 2013 12:29:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hardcoded. There is no workaround.

June 24, 2013 2:10:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh crud, we got all excited thinking about fleets of starbases fighting it out.

Thanks for the replies!

June 25, 2013 12:01:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am not a modder. But I remember playing a mod called  "crazy" and for the tec loyalist every gravity well could have at lease 4 starbases. If you could find what he changed to add more you could prehaps make that your research to make only SB

Hope it helps.

June 25, 2013 1:08:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting lordlubu21,

I am not a modder. But I remember playing a mod called  "crazy" and for the tec loyalist every gravity well could have at lease 4 starbases. If you could find what he changed to add more you could prehaps make that your research to make only SB

Hope it helps.

That's not the problem the OP is having though. It is a separate "issue" related to jumping starbases.

June 25, 2013 4:14:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks lordlubu21, but GoaFan77 is right. I have already modded the starbase limit for every planet to 100. That worked fine, fired up dev mode and produced 40 starbases and it was no problem.

What we envisioned is having a scenario of having fleets of starbases instead of ships. I did the mods for making starbases fly without phase gates, maxing their level cap, increasing planet starbase limit and so forth. Even started making a Galaxy Forge map (I was rusty so it was nice to get back into it).

Then I tried to run the scenario in dev mod and the error you already have a starbase in that galaxy well popped up. I was surprised, I just assumed it would do a check against planet limit. This hardcoded limit breaks our vision completely, sadly.

I told one of the people I play with and he said he will look at it. He thinks he might be able to patch it out. I am not hopefull, as we play on Steam, and that platform can react badly to patched binaries.

June 25, 2013 4:19:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting silkshadow,
I told one of the people I play with and he said he will look at it. He thinks he might be able to patch it out. I am not hopefull, as we play on Steam, and that platform can react badly to patched binaries.

Everyone has steam for Rebellion, so there isn't any getting around that.

I can't say hacking the binary is a good idea, not least because I can't imagine they'd make it easy to do stuff with it, intentionally or not.   You might be better off lobbying the devs to change it, since it does affect legitimately affect one area of the unmodded game (jumping the starbase into stars, which can have 4 starbases each). If you can convince them its a bug they might change it in a future patch.

June 25, 2013 5:57:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Why cant you just replace normal ships with starbases models and accompanied stats descriptions etc and set their fleet supply to ..... And make everything else not available to build.....

June 25, 2013 6:52:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Greg30007,

Why cant you just replace normal ships with starbases models and accompanied stats descriptions etc and set their fleet supply to ..... And make everything else not available to build.....

He may want to use some Starbase only features like paying for starbase/ship upgrades.

June 25, 2013 7:09:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Couldn't you make those upgrades as passive abilities on cap ships transformed into SB s that cost resources? Instead of lvl 4 purchase ability you could make 10 or 100 if that isn't hard coded as well?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000110   Page Render Time: