Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Gearbox Announces Homeworld, Homeworld 2 HD Remakes ***Feb 25,2015***

By on July 20, 2013 3:05:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

G_Bison

Join Date 02/2008
+108

During a panel at PAX Australia today, Gearbox announced upcoming HD remakes of Homeworld and Homeworld 2. In addition, the studio will make original, unaltered versions of both games available digitally.

No specific pricing or release date for either the HD versions or the unaltered versions has been announced, but Gearbox head Randy Pitchford noted that a “small team” is currently hard at work on the projects at Gearbox.

Gearbox acquired the rights to Homeworld back in April from THQ. At the time, Gearbox chief creative officer Brian Martel said the studio plans “to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games.”

***Update***

IGN Update

Locked Post 51 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 20, 2013 4:00:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

July 20, 2013 5:11:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yay!

Err... wait. What about Cataclysm?

July 20, 2013 5:28:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DivineWrath,

Yay!

Err... wait. What about Cataclysm?

Cataclysm was not owned by THQ thus was not able to auction off to Gearbox.

July 23, 2013 10:54:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cataclysm was considered non canon by Relic IIRC.

July 24, 2013 3:44:51 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

How unfortunate. I've only got to play Homeworld 2, so I never experienced what the others were like.

Oh well, at least Homeworld 1 will be made available. I hope it makes its way to GOG.com . I'll be upset if the only way to get it was through steam.

July 24, 2013 4:39:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

High resolution textures and cleaned up models with modern gpu support would be wonderful.  I may have em all, but I'd buy em again to save the eyes.  It takes a few hours to get used to the graphics on the original Homeworld on my 2560x1440 monitor.

January 25, 2015 2:49:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nuff said!!!

January 25, 2015 3:14:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

January 25, 2015 3:43:26 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

*Gets credit card ready.*

January 25, 2015 5:19:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

35 USD! Way too much for a HD remake... really milking that nostalgia. I waited 15 years, I can wait for the next sale.

January 25, 2015 5:38:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

35 for both 1 and 2 isn't bad.  Unlike the HoMM3 remake, this isn't just a joke of a remaster where they ran most things through an upconverter that fuzzed out the crisp details.

I am however waiting till after release to see if it's got issues.

January 25, 2015 6:30:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fuck yes. Need more gameplay videos, seems like i expected bit more from the graphics than what is shown there.

EDIT> Just seen more pics on Steam and they look fairly decent. So perhaps i am going to be satisfied.

January 25, 2015 8:02:31 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

holy shit, how can I have only now discovered this?  in the last 15(?) years, I've never not thought of Hiigara is burning when hearing adagio for strings, I can't wait to see it

January 25, 2015 11:03:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It is now $29 which IMO is reasonable.

The video which sold me. Outstanding update to the background visuals. Psy, No doubt it is gonna have issues. I found a few just watching the vid below lol, but if HW1 looks THAT good throughout the entire game then i can live with it until its fixed

Yes this vid has been confirmed on the gearbox forums as real.

January 26, 2015 1:45:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This game has been made gorgeous by current methods. Truly ahead of its time with the moving turrets, radio chatter and damage states to vessels. You can see where Sins got it's pedigree from...

January 26, 2015 3:54:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The depth of field looks absolute shit when zoomed in to a ship though. Or do you guys like that?

January 26, 2015 6:13:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

The depth of field looks absolute shit when zoomed in to a ship though. Or do you guys like that?

Need to see it first hand. But not sold on it at this point. Might have worked for SimCity, but not sure if i want ships in background to be blurred.

Will be an switchable option for sure anyway.

January 26, 2015 8:22:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

In space no-one can hear you scream.....

....over the sound of the spaceships....

January 27, 2015 12:21:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

too bad about cataclysm, but otherwise my money is theirs. playing homeworld 1 with those improved models and pew effects will be good enough

January 27, 2015 1:57:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Edited from a borked post.

37 minutes of in game video showing the garden cut scene, but mostly HW2 skirmish.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/01/26/homeworld-remastered-37-minutes-of-gorgeous-hd-gameplay-pax-south-2015

January 27, 2015 1:58:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In spaaaaaaace EVERYONE can hear Major Stress scream..

Well Jafo, I suppose you could play with the sound disabled to "simulate" the silence of vacuum.

We all know the only reason why there is sound in space is for entertainment purposes only   Otherwise why would Sins have pew pew?

I kinda like the Eve Online take on sound in space. There really is no sound, but your pod simulates the sounds to heighten your senses. The same could probably be said for Homeworld since you are playing from the perspective of Fleet Command. AKA Karen S'Jet.

January 27, 2015 8:31:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

35 USD! Way too much for a HD remake... really milking that nostalgia. I waited 15 years, I can wait for the next sale.

agreed... (what he said)...

January 28, 2015 3:23:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Found this video, sponsored by IGN. Very funny back story on the technical aspects of the game then and now. Enjoy the commentary and fall in love again of this RTS masterpiece. 

This vid is the same but gets right in on actual play through...

January 28, 2015 1:34:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Homeworld (1) is the only homeworld (I refuse to recognize Homeworld 2 as a 'homeworld' game )

Cataclysm was fantastic in its own right and definitely stands on its own two feet as far as I'm concerned.  Would love it if someone were to 'remaster' that one as well.

January 28, 2015 1:38:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great video, thank you!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time: