Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[Mod]Star Wars: Interregnum [3.21 Release, 7-8-16]

A new Star Wars experience built on the Enhanced 4X Mod

By on August 2, 2013 10:42:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

GoaFan77

Join Date 10/2008
+582

Intro

Star Wars: Interregnum is an upcoming mod for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion that builds off of the highly successful Enhanced 4X Mod. Fleeing the unknown terror that is chasing the Vasari, the factions of Sins of a Solar Empire stumble on a temporary wormhole that takes them to a galaxy far, far away. The sudden arrival of armadas with trillions of refugees and thousands of warships between the events of Episodes 5 & 6 forever alters the Star Wars universe and plunges the galaxy into an unprecedented period of chaos and violence.

Star Wars Interregnum Alpha 3.21 (Full Install)Mod of the Year 2014 FinalistMod of the Year 2015 Finalist

Features

4 new factions: Interregnum will feature 2 new races each with 2 subfactions like vanilla Sins races...

• The Galactic Empire is the remains of Palpatine's Empire now headed by Darth Vader, and enjoys a powerful industrial base and perhaps the most powerful fleet of all factions. However Vader's poor political skills and the feeling that the Empire is being crushed from all sides has left the Empire with extremely poor morale, and further defeats may start damaging the Empire's war effort. 
  • The Imperial Warlords are an umbrella faction that represents the various Empire factions that have operational independence, whether they've gone Rogue to serve their own agenda or are acting under orders in special circumstances. While lacking the legitimacy and infrastructure of the Galactic Empire, this has forced the warlords to use their forces more wisely than the sometimes brutish Imperial war machine. And the Emperor's fondness for conducting research in remote locations, along with Vader lack of interest in major R&D projects has allowed the Warlords to get access to many powerful technologies that might more than make up for their shortcomings. The player will also be able to choose to ally with one of the Major warlords for additional bonuses, mainly Grand Admiral Thrawn, Grand Moff Ardus Kaine, Warlord Zsinj, and Director Yasanne Isard.
  • The Rebel Alliance is the original military branch of the Alliance to Restore the Republic and continues to fight the Empire much as it did in the Galactic Civil war. Preferring hit and run attacks and strikecraft superiority along with some innovative and dirty tricks, the Rebels are one of the most unique factions and are extremely difficult to stamp out.
  • The New Republic (unreleased) was created by Rebel sympathizing planets after the Empire was forced to abandoned the Outer Rim following the emergence of the Sins races. Fearing that the Rebels would not be strong enough to protect them if the Empire tried to conquer them again, the New Republic has decided to create its own conventional armed forces from scratch. While this focus on new institutions leaves the New Republic vulnerable and disinclined to attack early on, once it gets going its powerful new warship designs along with its substantial economic and cultural strengths make the New Republic an extremely competent and well rounded faction with few weaknesses.

Superior Gameplay: As a successor mod to the Enhanced 4X Mod, Interregnum will support all the gameplay enhancements found in that mod, including...

• Hero Units: Both Sins and Star Wars factions can call in their most powerful champions to turn the tide of battle.
  • New Planets and Random Encounters: Truly Explore the Galaxy far, far away with an expanded array of planet types, some of which will be populated with everything from Rogue Imperial Moffs to abandoned Republic era fleets to Mandalorian raiders.
  • Improved Civics, Economy, Diplomacy and Espionoge: Don't feel like just blasting your opponent? The Enhanced 4X substantially fleshes out the noncombat side of Gameplay with things like improved culture, embassies and spying.
  • Customization: From adding upgrades to your favorite capitalships and titan to a library of minimods to customize your gameplay experience, 
  • Upgrades to existing factions: Players totally new to the Enhanced 4X series of mods will find the familiar Vanilla races they know have all gotten an upgraded. All factions of received new techs, faction and racial bonuses, new starting units and other alterations that encourages more diverse gameplay.

Unit and Character List

See this post

Story

Progress

With the third alpha release, the Rebel Alliance has been added, meaning this mod can now be used to relive the Galactic Civil War as well as the current war with the Sins factions. The militia and pirates have also been replaced with Star Wars versions; now the vast majority of material on the game map is clearly from a galaxy far, far away.

488 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 11, 2014 12:40:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

An interesting thing I noticed that I'm not sure if its meant to be allowed or not, but the shipyard you get from capturing Kuat allows you to have at least two titans at the same time, which really is a huge difference (allowed me to smash through the pirates when they blocked my path to the enemies). Either way, I love this mod, especially with all the 4x changes being part of it!

Almost makes me wish you were doing more then just the rebels (despite how much work I know this must be for you already).

Also, there is nothing scarier then thinking you've got the advantage, pushing on with your almost destroyed fleet to try and kill them before they regroup... only to run into the Katana fleet!

September 11, 2014 1:48:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sucal,

An interesting thing I noticed that I'm not sure if its meant to be allowed or not, but the shipyard you get from capturing Kuat allows you to have at least two titans at the same time, which really is a huge difference (allowed me to smash through the pirates when they blocked my path to the enemies). Either way, I love this mod, especially with all the 4x changes being part of it!

It is intentional. And technically it lets you build as many Executors as you have the fleet supply for. I figure if you can spare the force needed to kill the defenders at Kuat, including an Executor there, and then have the money to buy a second titan, you deserve that advantage and would likely win anyways. 

Quoting Sucal,

Also, there is nothing scarier then thinking you've got the advantage, pushing on with your almost destroyed fleet to try and kill them before they regroup... only to run into the Katana fleet!

They are harmless, as long as your enemy hasn't captured them yet. In fact, you want to be the first to find them so you can claim them.

Quoting Sucal,

Almost makes me wish you were doing more then just the rebels (despite how much work I know this must be for you already).

Like? If its not before Episode 6 and not the Zahn Consortium, there is a small chance it might happen. The game's RAM limit might be the thing that really says no however, but we'll see what happens when the Rebels are done. Speaking of which...

September 11, 2014 7:29:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

They are harmless, as long as your enemy hasn't captured them yet. In fact, you want to be the first to find them so you can claim them.

That's what I was hinting. The computer had found and reactivated them even as I was smashing through their defenses.

Quoting GoaFan77,

Like? If its not before Episode 6 and not the Zahn Consortium, there is a small chance it might happen. The game's RAM limit might be the thing that really says no however, but we'll see what happens when the Rebels are done. Speaking of which...

Don't know, which is part of the problem. I just want more expanded 4x races!

Quoting GoaFan77,
It is intentional. And technically it lets you build as many Executors as you have the fleet supply for. I figure if you can spare the force needed to kill the defenders at Kuat, including an Executor there, and then have the money to buy a second titan, you deserve that advantage and would likely win anyways. 

Honestly? I had no real choice but to go past them in that game. I had the choice of either going to the enemy through the shipyards, or risk the loss of most of my fleet to go past a blackhole before taking out the pirate base. Those were the only two lanes that lead to the enemies. Ended up building the first titan there in a foundry I built at the shipyards. (Lore Junkie and all that).

I tend to turtle before unleashing overwhelming forces though, so I tend to have a really strong economy just before I start launching the final sledgehammer strikes. So yeah, two titans wasn't all that expensive and was me messing around.

EDIT: Could always do the Darth Krayt and the One Sith, Or the Lost Tribe of the Sith... or... *shrugs*

September 11, 2014 9:09:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

with all the pretty particles| you're a one-man god

September 12, 2014 10:44:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Speaking of RAM limits.

This mod is the only one i really have problems playing large maps.

All ship details medium, planets med and buildings low. But if i am not lucky enough the game still crashs... 

Hope things will not get worse with the release of the rebellion side...

September 12, 2014 10:55:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Brunftzeit,

Speaking of RAM limits.

This mod is the only one i really have problems playing large maps.

All ship details medium, planets med and buildings low. But if i am not lucky enough the game still crashs... 
Hope things will not get worse with the release of the rebellion side...

If you have 4 or more GB of RAM, you might want to consider Large Address Aware (LAA). I'll be uploading a download of it on the Interregnum page with instructions soonish. 

Quoting Sucal,

Don't know, which is part of the problem. I just want more expanded 4x races!

Well, I'll just say I have considered adding another faction after the Rebels/New Republic. But we'll see what happens. 

Also, we have an Alliance HUD!

September 12, 2014 12:20:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

If you have 4 or more GB of RAM, you might want to consider Large Address Aware (LAA). I'll be uploading a download of it on the Interregnum page with instructions soonish.

Enabling it again was the first thing i did after the 1.82 update. So thats not the problem.

September 12, 2014 12:26:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you so much Goa.  You have made me a very happy man.

September 12, 2014 3:44:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Brunftzeit,

Enabling it again was the first thing i did after the 1.82 update. So thats not the problem.

Huh, I've had people say the mod runs absolutely fine at highest settings on large maps with LAA enabled. Well I'm not an expert on this stuff, sadly your millage may vary definitely applies to LAA.

September 13, 2014 11:35:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Had another crash in a new game. Maybe its not RAM related. Damn...

E4X, ST Armada 3 and DS are running fine...

September 13, 2014 1:07:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Brunftzeit,

Had another crash in a new game. Maybe its not RAM related. Damn...

E4X, ST Armada 3 and DS are running fine...

If you ever get a crash that comes up on reloading an autosave at roughly the same point, always upload the save somewhere and send it to me. For crashes that seem truly random, and that don't appear again on reloading an autosave, there's really nothing I can do but assume its RAM related, since I won't even be able to see the problem on my end.

September 22, 2014 6:38:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Rebel Fleet gathers...

September 28, 2014 3:32:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I keep forgetting how amazing unimpressive republic ships tend to look towards the ominous lines of a Star Destroyer.

September 29, 2014 5:45:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sucal,

I keep forgetting how amazing unimpressive republic ships tend to look towards the ominous lines of a Star Destroyer.

These are Rebel Ships. The New Republic gets some more warship/star destroyer looking designs, though I don't think they really want their ships to be ominous. Most notable of these is probably the Nebula Star Destroyer.

October 1, 2014 8:04:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't know what I am doing wrong but I downloaded it installed it. it started up right away which was nice. However, there is only the Empire and Warlords? No Rebels or New Republic?

October 1, 2014 2:01:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kidofamerica,

I don't know what I am doing wrong but I downloaded it installed it. it started up right away which was nice. However, there is only the Empire and Warlords? No Rebels or New Republic?

Yes. I'm working on adding the Rebels right now. Sorry, that's a bit more clear on the moddb page (though its also said under the progress section in this OP). Basically with each update I add a new faction. Alpha 1 added the Galactic Empire, Alpha 2 added the Warlords, Alpha 3 will have the Rebels etc. 

October 2, 2014 12:38:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I generally like how you kept the core races etc. I am wondering though .. Why you chose to have certain tech be required to make various cap ships? I've noticed this trend in nearly every mod. I feel like it's left over from old RTS thinking. With CORE sins all the cap ships are always Valuable and all have their uses however, in mods like this it feels like the you're stuck with the Early cap ships and then when the good stuff comes down later in the tech tree you've got these useless caps you spent time leveling and fighting with etc. 

I will say this isn't too bad in your mod because you haven't gone super crazy with damage armor and shield etc. However in other mods when people do that it just makes the problem so much worse. 

Is there really a reason why not all Captial ships can be made at the same time? There has to be a way to round out all of em so even the less Ship-of-the-Line classes still feel relevant end game right?

And a totally separate question where did that 4X add on come from? 

October 2, 2014 12:40:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also I am not the biggest Star Wars fan.. as you can tell from my Avatar lol however that Republic Star Destroyer you posted a pic of a few paragraphs above looks amazing. Did you do that whole design and concept from scratch yourself?

October 2, 2014 2:36:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kidofamerica,

I generally like how you kept the core races etc. I am wondering though .. Why you chose to have certain tech be required to make various cap ships? I've noticed this trend in nearly every mod. I feel like it's left over from old RTS thinking. With CORE sins all the cap ships are always Valuable and all have their uses however, in mods like this it feels like the you're stuck with the Early cap ships and then when the good stuff comes down later in the tech tree you've got these useless caps you spent time leveling and fighting with etc. 

The problem is that 4 of the Empire's capitalships, the Imperial-I, Imperial-II, Tector and Interdictor Star Destroyers, are bigger, have better stats and are more expensive than the default capitalships. By default in Sins your first capitalship is free, so if you could build these capitalships right away you could get an Imperial II Star Destroyer than costs something like 4500 credits, while the Vanilla races would get their standard 3000 credit capitalships that are overall somewhat weaker. So any capitalships that is substantially stronger than vanilla capitalships will need to have research to prevent the player from getting these capitalships for free at the start of the game.

The Venator Star Destroyer, AKA the one from Episode 3, has research because it is more commonly associated with the Republic, not the Empire, and I wanted to reflect that it was not necessarily common by making it harder to get.

Also I've had several people tell me that those Victory Star Destroyers are quite useful. The Victory-I is what you should probably always get first anyway, because while your Sentinel Landing Craft colony frigates are very cheap, they are consumed when they colonize a planet, so having a colony capitalship is more useful to the Empire. If you keep it alive later in the game its siege abilities help you clear out enemy planets much faster. The Victory-II on the other hand can be useful for crippling enemy ships firepower with Disruptive Ion Bolts and giving antimatter to your other Star Destroyers with redoubled efforts.

I will say that the Empire will suffer the most from this problem. The Rebels will have 4 capitalships to pick from without research, and the New Republic will have at least 3.

Quoting kidofamerica,

And a totally separate question where did that 4X add on come from? 

It is actually the base for the mod, not an addon, since Interregnum needs it to run. Long story short, many years ago I was one of the devs of the Star Wars Requiem mod. However, that mod's philosophy was to stay very close to Vanilla mechanics, and as I got better at modding I got a bit bored with those. So I switched to making the Enhanced 4X Mod (just a vanilla races enhancement mod) in an attempt to make Sins play the way I wanted it to play, as well as adding new features that would be needed when I would start working on Star Wars again, such as the Hero Units. Once E4X got to a state I was happy with about one year ago I started making my own Star Wars mod, Interregnum, from scratch. This is the result at this time. 

Quoting kidofamerica,

Also I am not the biggest Star Wars fan.. as you can tell from my Avatar lol however that Republic Star Destroyer you posted a pic of a few paragraphs above looks amazing. Did you do that whole design and concept from scratch yourself?

It's a model of the Nebula Star Destroyer from the Star Wars expanded universe, or Star Wars Legends universe as they're calling it now since Episode VII has destroyed it. Basically its a warship from the Star Wars novels built by the New Republic, I.e. the Rebel Alliance after they captured Coruscant from the Empire a few years after Episode VI. Apparently this picture is from one of the Star Wars sourcebooks.

Sadly this model is much too nice to fit in the Sins engine, but this ship will appear as one of the New Republic faction's best capitalships. It is certainly one of my favorite designs of theirs.

Since you're not a big Star Wars fan, I will say that another way of looking at the factions in (or will be in) this mod is as follows.

Galactic Empire - The Empire based as it was in the original trilogy.

Warlords - Empire based on the various Warlords/Imperial Remnant from the Expanded Universe.

Rebel Alliance - Rebels as they were in the original trilogy.

New Republic - The good guys after they established a legitimate government in the Expanded Universe.

Also to be perfectly honest, I'm not exactly sure what your avatar is. 

October 3, 2014 1:20:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's the Symbol for the Ferengi Alliance *Star Trek* ... That 4X add on is amazing.. I was hoping it was hinting at a new Stardock expansion. It felt completely cannon and meshed in well. 

As far as your other answers I can see those points.

Any chance of other factions making it in? The Hutt Cartel and etc? 

October 3, 2014 2:05:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kidofamerica,

It's the Symbol for the Ferengi Alliance *Star Trek*

Ah, I know of the Ferengi. Watched all of TNG and still don't recognize that symbol though.

Quoting kidofamerica,

That 4X add on is amazing.. I was hoping it was hinting at a new Stardock expansion. It felt completely cannon and meshed in well. 

Thank you. 

Quoting kidofamerica,

Any chance of other factions making it in? The Hutt Cartel and etc? 

It won't be the Hutts, I kind of killed them off in the mod's lore (Vasari Loyalists enslave them, fittingly enough). But there maybe another faction, depends on how much more stuff I can cram into the mod when the other four races are done.

October 4, 2014 2:53:15 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Aww come on Hutt voices are so much fun to listen too lol... Maybe Hutt Cartel Pirates?

I actually liked the trade coalition a lot but the mod that has em has those mechanics I hate. 

At any rate I can't wait to play the new republic etc. I wish you luck with your continued work. 

October 4, 2014 2:55:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh and as far as where you see this symbol? It's on some of the ships and outfits but you see it most gloriously spinning at the center of the Ferengi Commerce Exchange aka when they show close ups of the "wallstreet" screen. I think maybe only in DS9?

October 4, 2014 5:24:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok I been playing as the Warlords now.. I have some small suggestions.

#1. Avoid making any of the icons under the research tabs gray. They get washed out and they look *unsearchable* even when they are. Either way their just visually awkward. 

#2. The sins stock ships are really good at weaving in faction colors onto the Cap ships without making em look like a carnival. I see you've done it on some of the ships any chance of making it happen more? 

#3. I freaked out when I built my first Super Star Destroyer immediately after it was made I got the message "Our titan has been lost" and it disappeared right out of spacedock but didn't explode. A couple seconds later it appeared on the edge of the gravity well? I was using the guy that gives the 10% Rate of Fire so not the cloaking guy... I don't know what caused this?

October 4, 2014 11:19:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kidofamerica,

#1. Avoid making any of the icons under the research tabs gray. They get washed out and they look *unsearchable* even when they are. Either way their just visually awkward. 

This has been brought up a few times. Unfortunately the Empire really like their grey ships, so any screenshots of them or on them tend to be fairly colorless. But I will try to make the unavailable researchable icons darker as well as grey to hopefully make it more easy to distinguish.

Quoting kidofamerica,

The sins stock ships are really good at weaving in faction colors onto the Cap ships without making em look like a carnival. I see you've done it on some of the ships any chance of making it happen more? 

Depends, again the Empire was not a very colorful faction lore wise. Most vividly this is shown at the end of Episode 3, where the once colorful Venators of the Republic fleet have had all their paint taken off. The Rebels might make better use of the team colors. Their Starfighters already make pretty nice use of it I think.

Quoting kidofamerica,

I freaked out when I built my first Super Star Destroyer immediately after it was made I got the message "Our titan has been lost" and it disappeared right out of spacedock but didn't explode. A couple seconds later it appeared on the edge of the gravity well? I was using the guy that gives the 10% Rate of Fire so not the cloaking guy... I don't know what caused this?

I'm afraid that's just how it had to work. Sins has this silly thing where you can give a faction 9 (I.e. a full UI menu of) logistical structures, 9 tactical structures, 9 Frigates, 9 Cruisers, 9 Capitalships... but only 2 titans, even though there is room in the UI for seven more.

By the time I realized this, I had already planned much more than 2 titans for this faction, so the only way to fit them in was to have that second titan be sort of a place holder ship that would spawn the appropriate titan for your faction then kill itself. If you ever check out the optional minimod pack for Interregnum/E4X the resetting titan levels minimod works in basically the same way; it was simply the only way to get around the hardcoded problem.

You may find this helpful if you want a more information.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time: