Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Adding a New Planet Type

By on September 24, 2013 7:01:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

BrightGALAXY

Join Date 01/2010

I recently liked the ancient planet from Maelstrom. So, with novice modding skills, I tried to incorporate just the ancient planet to the vanilla version in Rebellion + DLC. Here is what I did...

GameInfo - I took out PlanetAncients.entity and all the associated planet bonuses.

Mesh - Took out only PlanetAncients.mesh

String - English.str (nothing modified)

Textures - 4 ancient planet's texture files

Window - HUDIcon, InfoCardIcon, MainViewIcon, and Picture-Planet.brushes

After seperating those files out, I put the 5 folders in a one folder and added to the mod and tried in Large Single-system Random map.

Result was disappointing. I put 6 AIs in the same team and 1 AI in the other and mass spawned scouters in 8x speed to check all the planets. I didn't see a single ancient planet.

What did I do wrong? Why can't I see the ancient planet in the map?

If any experts out there could help me out it will be greatly appreciated because I want ancient planet just for my single player gaming experience.

(In extreme case, an already-ready-to-go mod that I can just download and paste in the mod folder would be awesome, because I can just compare what I did and the completely working version. ).

Locked Post 3 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 25, 2013 12:00:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

first, did you update the manifests in the mod?

did you update the galaxyscenariodef in the mod?

if the entities are not in the manifests and are not referenced by other entities then no error and no load.

if the planet(s) you want to add are NOT in the galaxyscenariodef then tha maps can not use the planet(s).

harpo

September 25, 2013 12:03:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Technically, you will never add a new "type" of planet.  It'll just be a rehashed "terran/desert/invalid/barren/whatever" class of planet.

September 25, 2013 1:12:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, It worked! I did make the correction in manifests and galaxyscenariodef an hour after I posted this. Then I tried for 4 hours researching and stuff.

Turns out that the problem was that the galaxyscenariodef file had .txt extension at the end.

I feel really stupid right now. I just noticed. So, I deleted the .txt extension and now it works.

Thanks for your questions. I might have one or two questions coming up about manifests files.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time: