Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

DLC Idea?

Mirror of illusions

By on December 29, 2013 7:12:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Tyrantis123

Join Date 12/2013
+2

This would be what I consider good addition to sins of a solar empire.

Abstract AI difficulties: Considering SOASE:R has already adopted unnatural AI difficulties, it cannot hurt to introduce a difficulty never seen before in Strategic history: Mirror, Window and Dark Mirror and Shadow.

Expected behaviors on Mirror Difficulty and purpose:

-AI attempts to mimic the players play style during the game or any previously played games on this difficulty.

-AI is actively updating and overtime the AI learns everything you know and will abuse your own tactics against yourself

-This game may challenge players to improve already existing tactics or start a new one entirely, and truly test if you can  beat yourself at your own game.

-copy your building placements and upgrades if the planet type is the same.

-Tech level is always at par with your tech level this game or previous games.

-Different races would be hard coded till the player has tried the race. (Recommend to play with only matching factions or factions you have previously played as)

Expected behavior on Window and purpose:

-You have a already existing hard coded AI combined with a faint reflection of your playing style

-This difficulty is slightly more unpredictable even if the hard coded aspects of the AI is clear to you.

-Expect both good or bad improvements to the AI play

Expected Behaviors on Dark Mirror Difficulty:

-The AI is hard coded to build a counter ship every time you build a ship, and has huge credit income bonus.

-Again, the AI may attempt to mimic you at the best of its abilities.

-the AI will produce on its own if they have a surplus of resources and the player seems to be unproductive.

Expected Behaviors on Shadow Difficulty:

-This game mode utilizes all data from Mirror, Window, Dark mirror and Shadow games. By the time you play this difficulty it would be completely unrecognizable depending on how often you tried the other difficulties.

Note: Maybe the AI could learn from replays while you watch them in hopes that they will challenge your knowledge of previous games.

All this AI coding would be a satisfactory DLC on itself.

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 29, 2013 12:08:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pity though that this would severely tax the CPU already. I love the idea. Maybe with Sins 2 that should have 64 bit engine with multi threading we can get something like this. I know with Galactic Civilizations III (a game currently in production by Stardock) they are going to be doing things with the AI due to being able to build an engine like that (plus some internet usage) that no game has really done before. When Ironclad eventually gets done with their current project, the experience that Stardock has will no doubt help them a lot.

December 29, 2013 12:45:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd like to see in future the usage of lifetime stats to build a player profile that the ai can use to learn from and counter the player. Although I personally feel this is not do able in DLC.

December 29, 2013 1:14:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting WOEaintME,
I'd like to see in future the usage of lifetime stats to build a player profile that the ai can use to learn from and counter the player. Although I personally feel this is not do able in DLC.

The average player who does not even realize static defenses are bad, would not really benefit from this.

And yes, it is absurd to think a DLC can do this. Maybe a totally new game..

December 29, 2013 10:21:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Turchany,

The average player who does not even realize static defenses are bad, would not really benefit from this.

This is true. The AI would need to stop suiciding itself on defensive structures in order to make this a viable method. I'm sure it could be done though.

September 2, 2015 2:48:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Micro expansions were sort of the same idea as DLC's back than, were they not? Also this game has reached a wall from a technical standpoint, it would almost be better just to wait for a sequel to this game because the engine had not aged so well in terms of optimizations and the days of the 32 bit single threaded processors.

I just wanted to remind everybody the age of this game is so old, the engine from the ground up only ever uses a fraction of the computers capability.

Edit.

I also have a niche for Galactic Civilizations III type of games, so I am not too heartbroken about the sequel being delayed. I just felt the scale would be lost if they took the SW:EAW space battle approach of spaceship hard-points. However that is just me craving more depth.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0008531   Page Render Time: