Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Strike Craft Optimized

By on February 3, 2014 4:02:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

VaughanHFS

Join Date 02/2014
+1

My friends and I enjoy SoaSE:R, until we ran into the late game lag issue. After researching the issue on the internet we learned the lag was mainly caused by the strike craft. Unable to locate a basic mod that reduced the amount of strike craft per squad, I took a crash course in modding. Thanks to all the helpful modding posts, I managed to create a simple mod.

The mod reduces the amount of strike craft per squad (only 2 strike craft per squad). I took the strike craft stats and placed them in a spreadsheet. I used a fairly basic ratio to reduce their numbers (view-able if you download the mod).

My friends and I play tested the mod with great success!!! Reducing the amount of strike craft per squad significantly reduced the amount of lag late game. I also used to developer mode to test and ensure the strike craft did not become unbalanced. The mod appears to have marginal (3%-5%) affect on the strike craft game balance, mostly likely due to the shear numbers of strike craft being reduced. My friends did NOT notice any change to the game balance.

If you are interested in downloading the mod, click HERE

Locked Post 17 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 3, 2014 11:38:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nice job, but if you don't want it to get lost, you should post on modDB or WinCustomize SIns Mod section

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/sins_mods

same login as here

http://www.moddb.com/games/sins-of-a-solar-empire-rebellion/downloads

modDB account required, and a company to post under. 

http://www.moddb.com/company/soase-m0dders/members

is public, you can join that company and post from there if you like.

You will get a ton of hits from those sites 

February 3, 2014 11:45:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
http://www.moddb.com/games/sins-of-a-solar-empire-rebellion/downloads

modDB account required, and a company to post under. 

http://www.moddb.com/company/soase-m0dders/members

is public, you can join that company and post from there if you like.

You will get a ton of hits from those sites 

I don't know if Moddb will really help with these sort of smallish mods. They will not be updated often nor and will easily be crushed by the popularity of large ones. Steam Workshop would be the ideal medium for this, but since that is not an option wincustomize is probably the best bet.

February 4, 2014 12:36:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, I tried Moddb.com but they gave me small list of reasons why they chose to archive it instead. Most likely due the small size of the mod. I will take your advice and upload it to  wincustomize.

Thanks 

February 4, 2014 10:42:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If I could have the permission to do so this seems like something that would go with the KOG's Law Mod. So If it is ok, may I use this in it?

February 5, 2014 9:29:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Permission granted.

I created the post for the sole purpose of sharing. Anyone in the future that wants to use it in their mod, go ahead.

Thanks for showing interest and enjoy the game.  

February 5, 2014 8:26:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I went and used it.

February 8, 2014 5:46:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Could you happen to tell me what you edited in the strings file so I know where to edit my mod's string file?

February 8, 2014 5:46:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Could you happen to tell me what you edited in the strings file so I know where to edit my mod's string file?

February 8, 2014 5:46:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

February 8, 2014 5:53:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ZTT1997,

Depending on your text editor you may be able to compare the original with the modded one

February 9, 2014 8:54:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ok thnx and I use notepad++ so it isn't to hard

February 10, 2014 2:06:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I changed the string file to reflect changes in the Advent research tree.

ID "IDS_RESEARCHSUBJECT_PLANETMODULEIMPROVEMENT_PSIHANGARDEFENSE_NAME"
Value "Skilled Fighters"
StringInfo
ID "IDS_RESEARCHSUBJECT_PLANETMODULEIMPROVEMENT_PSIHANGARDEFENSE_DESCRIPTION"
Value "Increases the rate of fire for all Laser weapons."

ID "IDS_RESEARCHSUBJECT_TITANACCESS_PSIREBEL_3_DESCRIPTION"
Value "Allows you to continue construction on the Eradica Titan. Rate of fire for Beam weapons is improved from the development of the Eradica."

These changes were made because they increased the amount of strike craft. Without going into huge re-balancing issues I just increased the weapon rate of fire by 5%. The strike craft only applied to the hangar defense, so not that big of a game changer.

February 10, 2014 5:13:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great job sir.  Simple, fast and fun.

May 6, 2014 6:29:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hello,... I have two questions,...

1. Since the number of strike craft was reduced, does that mean that you increased the remaining craft's health and weapons to compensate for the lack of additional craft? (this question is just a matter of curiosity, and is not really important)

2. (my main question) Does this mod work with the SoaSE Trinity 1.37 version of the game?... If not, is there any chance that it could be made for it? - I am getting really tired of all of the AIs that I face, spamming 6-8 hundred strike squadrons at me in every single battle, causing my computer to spend 25-35 minutes calculating each battle.

I am about ready to quit this game due to this extreme lag... (I've already got every single visual and special setting on its lowest setting, and I'm still being killed with lag... it always happens during attacks with strike craft, otherwise, the game plays fine.)

May 6, 2014 7:34:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting chaylafay,
1. Since the number of strike craft was reduced, does that mean that you increased the remaining craft's health and weapons to compensate for the lack of additional craft? (this question is just a matter of curiosity, and is not really important)

Well, if you don't want to change the game balance this is what you should do.

Quoting chaylafay,
2. (my main question) Does this mod work with the SoaSE Trinity 1.37 version of the game?... If not, is there any chance that it could be made for it? - I am getting really tired of all of the AIs that I face, spamming 6-8 hundred strike squadrons at me in every single battle, causing my computer to spend 25-35 minutes calculating each battle.

I'm afraid it will not. However, if you read some of the modding stickies and track down the reference files for Diplomacy 1.37 I think you'll find it is not that hard to do. You need to adjust the .entity files that start with "fighter" and "squad".

May 6, 2014 9:26:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Last time I modded anything for this game was several years ago (the original SoaSE game, before trinity)... I was pretty good at it back then,... I recall that I figured out how to remove the training level limit on the capital ships, so that I could train them all of the way to level 10... man that was a long time ago... I think that I made a post about it in response to someone else - I'll look through my old posts, and see if I can refresh my memory... Once I get started, it'll all come back to me, lol.

Anyways, thanks for the response, I'll see what I can do.

June 23, 2014 6:39:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Strike craft Optimized for SoaSE Trinity 1.37 version would be real handy

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000781   Page Render Time: