Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Why on earth did Ironclad waste time on Dark Age?

By on April 18, 2014 1:01:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

wbino49

Join Date 10/2012
+5

Been thinking about this for awhile,

The best(and most successful) Devs know and master their cliche in the gaming universe.

Rocksteady: Batman

Bethesda makes RPG's

Telltale has mastered the adventure game

You get the idea..so..

Ironclad makes the best space/rts ever in 2008 ,gives us starbases 2010,Diplomacy 2011 and the has some work in Rebellion.

Meanwhile making SOADA a FTP multiplayer  (10% of Sin game-players )They obvious don't have a clue who their core audience is.

I'm a fifty year old guy, been playing Sins since it came out, FTP games are not my style, I want to buy a game ONCE and enjoy it.

Imagine have to pay $5.99 for a different skin model on a cap ship? NOPE. 

They must have/are making lots of Sins money to be spend so much time on SOADA.

My Rant is just that ..I do not understand the business decision that Ironclad made by not making a new Sins instead of SOADA.

Obviously since Stardock is not publishing it they must have had some concerns.

Sins came out in 2008. If they started today..and we're not...look for Sins 2 in 2017 earliest.

Locked Post 5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 18, 2014 1:43:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They will milk this Iron Engine until something better comes out. Until people stop buying all the new paint jobs added to the current engine, why bother with a new one?

April 18, 2014 6:04:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I guess they just wanted to create something new. Rebuilding same game over and over is maybe boring. I dont blame them. Even though i am not interested in SOADA one bit and would prefer Sins 2 mightily. Alternatively, Sins clone in different setting, say WW2, medieval, cold war, whatever else land-based would surely do it for me as well. MOBA, not so much unfortunately.

Regarding target audience. well for Sins they have us, for SOADA they will have all those LOL,DOTA,HON players... actually the potential is way higher there, but so is competition. Bottom line, they dont have to target the same people they did with Sins.

April 18, 2014 9:22:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They must also like to keep the team extremely small cause their output is very slow.

SOADA is still in beta..though they are charging $4.99 for access.

Kind of pointless anyway...with Gav 3 coming out, a Sins 2 would be space nerd overkill.

April 18, 2014 11:10:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Some excellent gaming companies have also been successful at diversifying. While I too would love a Sins 2, I also want a team that is eager to put a good game together, not one that drudges through just keep the fans happy.

April 19, 2014 4:53:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Game companies do diversify.....remember when the king of RTS strategy games, Blizzard, decided to bet their whole company on an MMO?

The Sins guys decided to make a MOBA.  They are not necessarily expecting the same audience, but they branded it with the Sins name so we know they are involved.  I think they may be a bit late to the MOBA party, but time will tell.  They have done quite a bit with Sins from a strategy perspective.   They probably don't want to break ground on an entirely new Sins 2 until they can make step forward with a new engine and bring something more to the table than a couple new ships.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000532   Page Render Time: