Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Where will this game be in 6 months?

By on June 22, 2014 1:52:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Stilat

Join Date 05/2014
+5

At the rate the servers are collapsing, I'm predicting less than 50 active players in six months. Heck, its no longer limited to MP folks either. Just read some of the stuff in the tech and steam forums. That and the fact that stardock has mentioned that they will cease all support for the game means looks like another game has bitten the dust.

Locked Post 77 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 9, 2014 3:51:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If MP stabilized around a particular map with the same team configuration every time, I could see it working out and becoming a reliable measure. If the devs codified this at all, they could even add metrics for skills with positions.

August 9, 2014 4:45:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Even if the rankings are less than adequate, the ability to hit a button and know you'll get a game in 5 minutes is a vast improvement to what we have. You may not know if it will be a 5s game or one full of noobs, but still better than arguing about teams for a half hour.

There's a reason why team selection takes so long...you might get games quickly, but when the teams are always crap, people are going to tire of using matchmaking...

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,

If MP stabilized around a particular map with the same team configuration every time, I could see it working out and becoming a reliable measure.

Part of what makes MP so enjoyable is the randomness...players like random maps and random role setups (# of ecos, suicides, etc.)...while players don't like their team getting screwed by the map, large team games statistically make it more likely to be fair from a team perspective (individual players will still get screwed, but usually it is a wash overall)...for all the problems that random maps can cause, the more you fix a map the more people are going to tire of it and feel like the game is all about "knowing the map"...

August 9, 2014 5:05:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sins will never succeed as a MP game unless the players drop the love affair with random maps. The only reason they like them is because all the pre made maps suck ass. I could shit out a better map than idiotic ones like "Aurelian Sector". Like WTF? Do these guys even play 5s MP? This requires a lot of effort on Starclads to fix part but sadly I don't see them rising up to the challenge.

August 9, 2014 5:09:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fuck off WOEaintME.

August 9, 2014 6:31:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

Quoting GoaFan77,

Even if the rankings are less than adequate, the ability to hit a button and know you'll get a game in 5 minutes is a vast improvement to what we have. You may not know if it will be a 5s game or one full of noobs, but still better than arguing about teams for a half hour.

There's a reason why team selection takes so long...you might get games quickly, but when the teams are always crap, people are going to tire of using matchmaking...

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,

If MP stabilized around a particular map with the same team configuration every time, I could see it working out and becoming a reliable measure.

Part of what makes MP so enjoyable is the randomness...players like random maps and random role setups (# of ecos, suicides, etc.)...while players don't like their team getting screwed by the map, large team games statistically make it more likely to be fair from a team perspective (individual players will still get screwed, but usually it is a wash overall)...for all the problems that random maps can cause, the more you fix a map the more people are going to tire of it and feel like the game is all about "knowing the map"...

You do realize that all competitive play on things like League and DoTa is on the same map, right?  The FPS I used to work on...  Whenever people would play competitively, the map was always the same.  I think the same applies to SC2, but I'm not familiar enough with the game to say definitively.  There's nothing wrong with having an MP setup where players can know the map.  That's not a bad thing.

Also, I'm only saying this in regards to matchmade games.  If you want to go setup a random lobby with people on a random map, by all means, go ahead.  My point was though that to get a stable MP matchmaking setup, you'd need a map.  If it's a 5v5, then I'd imagine we'd want something along the lines of the following (going around the perimeter of the map by team)

August 9, 2014 9:32:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,

You do realize that all competitive play on things like League and DoTa is on the same map, right? The FPS I used to work on... Whenever people would play competitively, the map was always the same.

So now sins is in the same boat as MOBAs and FPS titles?  You'll forgive me if I find that idea despicable...

We do not need to turn Sins into something it is not in order to make it a success...

August 9, 2014 9:47:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Starcraft 2, the most successful rts game right now, has dozens of maps that are rotated every year.

August 10, 2014 11:50:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,

You do realize that all competitive play on things like League and DoTa is on the same map, right? The FPS I used to work on... Whenever people would play competitively, the map was always the same.

So now sins is in the same boat as MOBAs and FPS titles?  You'll forgive me if I find that idea despicable...

We do not need to turn Sins into something it is not in order to make it a success...

Again, I'm saying this would only apply to matchmade games.  If you want to set up your random games, by all means, go for it.  In no way am I trying to stop you from experiencing the game the way you want it.

August 11, 2014 1:37:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sins, by the nature of its maps, has the ability to have random maps in MP.

I don't know how many of you saw that we hired the guy who helped make Battle.net for Blizzard but that was recently announced and he's leading the team that's going to be building the backend to allow us to make sure our games have a much better meta experience.

So for instance, what I'd like to see with Sins is that players can optionally press a button and have it find another person, put them in a game and off they go with it keeping some Meta tracking of results.

August 12, 2014 12:50:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I don't know how many of you saw that we hired the guy who helped make Battle.net for Blizzard but that was recently announced and he's leading the team that's going to be building the backend to allow us to make sure our games have a much better meta experience.

So for instance, what I'd like to see with Sins is that players can optionally press a button and have it find another person, put them in a game and off they go with it keeping some Meta tracking of results.
Just put in host controls that does 3 things:

• Broadcast invites for Steam friends
  • Make team starting positions opposite sides of random map with assignable positions (put aggro players on flanks, and eco in middle slot)
  • Auto random number generator for PUG matches

Okay, 4 things:

• LOBBY MUTE OVERRIDE for only Host and Team Captains to talk.
August 13, 2014 12:18:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

So, was Tachyion the big Sins-related announcement?  A matchmaking meta-game system would be great, but we are also going to need a multi-threaded Sins-2 soon.  I hope Ironclad has aspirations of creating a Sins-2.

August 23, 2014 1:09:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

There's going to be a big announcement next month that I think will make Sins players happy.

More copies of Sins of a Solar Empire will likely be sold this year than last year.  The biggest challenge Ironclad/Stardock have had is how to fit "more" stuff.  But I think there's a lot of Meta related stuff that could expand the Sins experience a great deal.

The reason the servers have had problems this month is that the number of players this month jumped substantially due to the Steam sale.  We're working with Ironclad on that issue.

Well its next month do tell please.

cough cough sins on multi threaded processors >

August 23, 2014 1:18:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting mikefacciola,

Quoting Frogboy,

There's going to be a big announcement next month that I think will make Sins players happy.

More copies of Sins of a Solar Empire will likely be sold this year than last year.  The biggest challenge Ironclad/Stardock have had is how to fit "more" stuff.  But I think there's a lot of Meta related stuff that could expand the Sins experience a great deal.

The reason the servers have had problems this month is that the number of players this month jumped substantially due to the Steam sale.  We're working with Ironclad on that issue.

Well its next month do tell please.

cough cough sins on multi threaded processors >

You totally missed the boat.  The announcement was Tachyon, not Sins II.

August 23, 2014 1:49:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh I see....  Suppose I need to look up that

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457400/

Tachyon generator right?

August 23, 2014 4:10:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting mikefacciola,

Oh I see....  Suppose I need to look up that

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457400/

Tachyon generator right?

Here http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=456485

October 19, 2014 6:19:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nowhere apparently.

November 9, 2014 12:04:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi All,

There are a lot of good comments and observations in this thread.  It would be a shame to see SINS pass away, I've been supporting it with my nephews from the beginning and still love the game.

SIN2:  Yes, please.

64bit: Yes, please, even if it is this same game without the memory limitation it would still be epic! that 400 planet Star Wars map would be more playable

Kickstarter: Yes, I would support.

Planet Annihilation:  Its good, but its not as much fun as SINS.  I think a right-click is missing to do upgrades.  Regardless its still missing something.  The original Supreme Commander and SINS are to the two best RTS currently and both are old games.  In my view.  SC2 was ruined by the new map engine, looked great but wasn't openDeveloper enabled; result no 2nd Add-on was ever released.

We all want SINS2 and maybe people, in general, won't pay just for 64bit and nothing else, so to encourage the ideas of the next RTS platforms maybe we do need more.  I have been thinking lately about where gaming will be in 5 years time.  The consoles have managed to get people out of thier chairs and standing, dancing, surf boarding and Jedi-Knight-ing but in the PC gaming world we are still sitting.  Voice activition is getting better but even the Ocotolus Rift head gear still needs a keyboard.  What about touch screens ?  low refresh rates I've heard but a SINS game that could be operated across multiple monitors (Like SC) and touch screen would be cool!!

Have any of you seen 'Enders Game' the film, the main war scenes;  Now that is an RTS I want, with full 3D movement. 

Zarrex

November 9, 2014 1:01:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Have any of you seen 'Enders Game' the film, the main war scenes;  Now that is an RTS I want, with full 3D movement.

That tech might be a bit farther down the line past Sins 2. But it would be fun.

November 13, 2014 6:56:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Have there been any updates on the status of the Tachyion project?

November 13, 2014 7:13:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

Quoting Volt_Cruelerz,

Agreed, dont turn Sins game into football match, because such approach works for StarCraft and MOBAs. 

November 13, 2014 3:13:37 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

Not recently.  We're discussing when Ironclad's schedule will open up a bit. There's full bore on Sins of a Dark Age right now.

December 1, 2014 11:09:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's been 6 ish months.  The game is still here.  I just wanted to say that.

December 2, 2014 1:34:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Word

December 2, 2014 11:58:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Seems to me that things have gone pretty quiet though. Maybe I should check up on other parts of the forums on the other hand...

December 3, 2014 11:17:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting DirtySanchezz,

Not recently.  We're discussing when Ironclad's schedule will open up a bit. There's full bore on Sins of a Dark Age right now.

Please cut and paste game on this engine, make it multi thread capable(more than one core) call it sins 2.  Im ready to back (pre order, kickstart whatever you want to call it) today!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/267130/

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time: