Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Is this forum a TV drama?

By on July 4, 2014 2:21:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Stilat

Join Date 05/2014
+5

Anyone else read this forum for entertainment purposes? Seriously, this forum is literally like its own HBO show. Not only is there a great cast of characters and an intriguing setting, but it has all the elements that make up a great TV drama. I would even go so far as to claim that it is more entertaining than the game itself, given the horrible shape the servers are in now. It even has its own seasons! Instead of spending money developing Sins of a Dark Age, or even a SOASE 2, Starclad should instead pour money into adapting this forum into the next Sopranos. Think about how much bank they would make!

Locked Post 124 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 29, 2014 10:28:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Another Seleuceia head pops up.

July 29, 2014 11:48:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinkillr,

Another Seleuceia head pops up.

I hate to say this, but in any forum, there are usually a handful of people who know what they are talking about and who have a very deep level of knowledge as a result of their passion and time they have spent. I'm humble enough to recognize that I am not one of those people.

You can usually tell who they are by the content of their posts, by their posting history, and by their tone, which is usually very technical and generally tries to be very neutral. People who are "in the know" rarely make simple one liners to attack, and if asked to elaborate, put a lot of energy into putting the technical reasons why they are right.

The other is the percentage of good posts. A few years ago, I was a new poster at a Star Wars forum. One poster, despite his low post count, gave me the answer to the question I asked right away, to which I verified. The other, a person with a very high post count, could not tell the difference between a Tie Defender and a Tie Avenger. A flame war ensued, although I took no part.  The person with the low post count was banned, despite him giving me the correct answer to my question. The fact that the poster who had the high number of posts relied on his post count and reputation to shoot down the other person told me everything I needed to know about the quality of that community (very poor).  After browsing the rest of the forum, it confirmed what I had already suspected.

The lesson is - in any forum, there's a few key people that are incredibly knowledgeable and who generally will strive to give technically correct answers. The other is, you can tell what part of the Internet you are in by the percentage of well written, thoughtful posts as a total percentage of all posts within that forum.

July 30, 2014 12:12:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree, the karma trolls in this forum are very annoying. Usually they just play dumb forum games to boost their karma and enhance their e-peen. They somehow think that makes them look important.

July 30, 2014 12:39:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinkillr,

I agree, the karma trolls in this forum are very annoying. Usually they just play dumb forum games to boost their karma and enhance their e-peen. They somehow think that makes them look important.

I very firmly feel that GoaFan77 belongs in the category of "very knowledgeable people".

He's helped me before and a simple check of his posting history tells me that the overwhelming majority of his posts are quite high quality indeed.

July 30, 2014 12:46:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting KrdaxDrkrun,

I demand to be included in this fracas!

Of course. All who post will be accepted. Unless you are a known alt (AKA Hydra Head).

Quoting boshimi336,

GoaFan77, seeing as how we're all apart of this soon to start production ... what in game SoeSE ships would each of us be if say we had some sort of weird cross-over alter-universe voltron thing happening in say the fifth or sixth episode?

Well, I think the cast is too large for everyone to have one, but if people want to nominate a ship for themselves that fits, I will gladly add it after the description in italics.

Quoting UnleashedElf,

Fascinating. I now have a good idea of whose posts I should take seriously and whose to disregard.

Just keep in mind that this is a fun thread, so none of us are being entirely serious. 

The Heroes

ZombiesRus - The brave leader who tragically gets infected with Zombieitis early in the show and struggles with his condition until he can get a cure from the troll lords, only to find on defeating the last one that the cake it was baked into was a lie. 

Ryat - The misunderstood sidekick who's always there for you yet always blamed for everything. Cobalt Light Frigate

Volt_Cruelerz - The awkward technical smart guy the other main characters find hard to relate to, yet saves the day more than anyone. Celio Command Cruiser

Ue-Carbon - The drinking buddy who everyone loves to be around yet sometimes bites off more than he can chew.

KrdaxDrkrun - Popularly known by his code name Crackin' Drakon, Krdax is a master of distractions, illusions and diversions, but struggles when caught in an open fight. Also apparently like shiny things. Rankulas Battleship

Boshimi - The easily excited farm boy from a backwater world called Earth, he has an unusual love of missions involving guns, trucks, agrarian economies or preferably all three!

Dirty Sanchezz - The stern and straight talking voice of the law who none the less has pure intentions.

Myfisto - Our chief engineer, Myfisto doesn't venture out into the field much but keeps the base and kit running at 110% efficiency at all times.

Sinperium - The old timer and comic relief all in one. Tries to get everyone to make his mod for him, even in the midst of much more important things! Original TEC bomber model

SpardaSon - A latter add on to the team, he always carriers 7 deadly weapons into combat. He also has something of a feud with Ue-Carbon who always says "This is Sparda!" whenever Sparda says something. 

Unikraken - A strange but intelligent creature with the tentacles of a kraken and the horn of a unicorn, many a troll underling has been speared to death by him. 

The Troll Lords

Quar - The bizarre but brilliant right hand man of the first troll king, Mecha-Lenin, he nearly succeeds in defeating the heroes in the finale of the first season but is thwarted when he underestimates the power of his own divine relic.

Mecha-Lenin - The first troll king who is the main antagonist for the first few seasons, he gets his wish of trolling the entire universe, only to see the creators step in, kill him and undo the damage they caused.

Sinkillr - The Star Scream of the series, despite his many attempts to defeat our protagonists or usurp the reigning troll king, he never manages to either succeed or get himself totally destroyed in the process. Even The Yarlen is unable to get rid of him for good.

RiddleKing - A most insidious troll lord who sometimes disguises himself as a helpful member of the community, only to use his gained credibility for dubious causes.

WorldStrider - The emo younger brother of Sinperium, his cross dressing and makeup make it impossible for anyone to know exactly how old he is. Takes his own life when he realizes no one likes him or even remembers him in season 5.

HuyMac - A troll lord who occasionally pleases his Troll King, but usually just spews profanity when things don't go according to plan.

KoK - A most determined troll who constantly tweaks his signature Kol rush technique in the hope it will one day destroy his enemies. Kol Battleship

Sareth01/Carpetbomb: The dark shaman of the troll lords, he interprets the will of the troll gods for the dissemination to the lesser trolls. Rumored to have a mobile Advent Starbase as his high temple. Mobile Transcendia Starbase

HammerX - This troll lord is a master of stealth and deception. Not even the other troll lords know exactly what he is or what his goals are, only that there are lots of badly bruised newbie corpses on his flagship.

Neutral/Ambiguous Major Characters (AKA Seleuceia Teir)

Seleuceia - The antihero troll who was initially rejected by the troll lords, he switches sides every other season, finally settles down to become a true hero in the last few seasons, only to go mad with power in the surprise finale when GoaFan grants him his life long wish for Unity Mass to do chaining damage, leading to him becoming the final troll king. Javelis Long Range Missile Frigate, later Coronata Titan with unity mass chaining damage.

GoaFan77 - The grand master of the art of modding, he's bound by the gods not to intervene directly in the affairs of the universe yet is known to subtly change the rules of the game to help the protagonists. Accidentally creates the last troll king when he grants Seleuceia Unity Mass chaining damage in order to defeat Sinkillr.

MayallCommunion - A religious leader of an Advent sect, Sareth and HammerX manage to convince him that Hammer is their people's chosen one, bringing his world onto the side of the Troll Lords until their deception is revealed by the heroes.

Harpo - A kindhearted neutral merchant at a refueling station, his utilities have been known to help both hero and troll alike.

Teun-A-Roonus - A bounty hunter fond of sniper rifles and more bizarrely yarn, he usually works for whatever side pays him better but goes out of his way to hit Sinkillr.

The Gods

Cykur, Auqia, and Doci (possibly sub for a different top tier MP Player) - The holy trinity of the Bible of the Skilled Games, it is said that sacrificing a new player to them by launching him in an escape pod into a star will earn their favor.

The Yarlen - The herald of the creators, he guards the entrance to the Ironclad Stardock in the sky and is usually the only creator to interact with mortals.

The Frazier Twins - The twin rulers who were the first creators, they only show up when our heroes finally learn the secret of their existence.

Frogboy - An independent being of great power who joined forces with the creators, he mostly stays busy in his own sacred rainforest domain but occasionally congratulates our protagonists on their best victories.

Cameos

Psychoak - Volt's graduate school professor believed to have been killed by the troll lords until he shows up one day with a bad case of amnesia and a hidden mind control device in his head.

MajorStress - The critical producer of the show who appears whenever our characters break the fourth wall to say how desperate our screenwriters are!

Lavo - A struggling technical writer sometimes found at the local cantina, he can never understand why people never read his instructions before crashing his products.

furyofthestars - A starbase architect imprisoned by Sareth to construct his Mobile Trancendia Starbase, his rescue becomes an important mission for our heroes once Mecha Lenin uses his talents to help construct his ultimate weapon.

Red Dwarf - A strange extra always seen trying to exit the room in scenes in public areas... or even some not so public ones!

Zeta1127 - The administrator of the great library of Weikei, it becomes the target of a troll attack after a new excavation reveals something unusual.

Protoplazm - A slightly deranged scientist who develops a system that can convert the emotional damage caused by trolling into physical energy.

Candido - An ancient being with the power to shape shift into whatever form he pleases. Tends to get into long conversations with Sinperium about how much better things were in the old days.

Axxo4 - Considered the greatest living artist in the galaxy, he is forced by the troll lord Sareth to decorate his temple until rescued by the protagonists.

Upsurper - Our pretend watcher at home who appears in segments when the fourth wall is broken.

Timmaigh - The only guy crazy enough to direct this mess of a show!

July 30, 2014 1:01:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Ryat - The misunderstood sidekick who's always there for you yet always blamed for everything. Cobalt Light Frigate

Fixed it for ya.

July 30, 2014 1:53:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Star for you Goa

July 30, 2014 3:00:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Im fairly certain usurper is another hydra head.

July 30, 2014 3:08:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Come on people, can't you spell my name right?

July 30, 2014 3:10:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You're just jealous of the fact that he has the Iron Throne and you don't.

July 30, 2014 3:21:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

Its Goa's way of unconsciously expressing how much he hates you. Some people breed so much negativity around here.

@Sparda- I agree. Bow before your king!

July 30, 2014 3:32:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinkillr,

Quoting Seleuceia,

Its Goa's way of unconsciously expressing how much he hates you. Some people breed so much negativity around here.

@Sparda- I agree. Bow before your king!

More like my spellchecker just doesn't like the way he spelled his name.

July 30, 2014 11:22:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Just keep in mind that this is a fun thread, so none of us are being entirely serious.

Regardless, I stand by what I said in my post though in reply 102.

July 30, 2014 2:34:31 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Sinkillr,

Im fairly certain usurper is another hydra head.

I'm fairly certain I am my own account, but props for trying.

July 30, 2014 8:34:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hmm, somehow we forgot to add RiddleKing to this list until now. I sense troll lord brainwashing. 

July 30, 2014 8:41:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I feel like Goafan needs to have his own category: Megalomaniacal Bores

His sense of self-importance has really ballooned in the last couple of weeks. 

July 30, 2014 8:53:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinkillr,

That's quite the statement coming from you

July 30, 2014 10:50:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinkillr,

Didn't Ryat get that category already? I'm pretty sure someone was placed in it before me.

July 30, 2014 11:35:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Didn't Ryat get that category already? I'm pretty sure someone was placed in it before me.

From Mecha-Lenin.

July 31, 2014 3:20:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Let's discuss a new topic...

Imagine instead of a TV series, we are all pro wrestlers, and each of us needs an intro song...

July 31, 2014 10:09:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thunderstruck by AC/DC.

July 31, 2014 11:55:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
Quoting boshimi336,

GoaFan77, seeing as how we're all apart of this soon to start production ... what in game SoeSE ships would each of us be if say we had some sort of weird cross-over alter-universe voltron thing happening in say the fifth or sixth episode?

Well, I think the cast is too large for everyone to have one, but if people want to nominate a ship for themselves that fits, I will gladly add it after the description in italics.

I think a starbase constructor would fit well with my description.  Just not sure that there's any specific one that fits me....  If a specific one had to be chosen, I'd say the Jarun (sp?) Migrator as I typically play VR, but otherwise just simply "starbase constructor" seems more fitting.

Quoting Seleuceia,

Let's discuss a new topic...

Imagine instead of a TV series, we are all pro wrestlers, and each of us needs an intro song...

Yeah... I don't think I'm important enough to warrant one of those. lol

July 31, 2014 6:10:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That's just mean...

October 19, 2014 8:12:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm really amused that Goa knows me for my troll slaying. I wasn't aware this was a known thing outside my team members.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: