Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Are building culture centers to counter red button really necessary? (Updated with replay)

By on September 24, 2014 10:54:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinkillr

Join Date 04/2010
+415

One of the most effective counters to the TEC starbase's red button is to build culture centers. Starbases under the influence of hostile cultures cannot use their abilities, RB being among them. This has been proven in skilled multiplayer matches, where a majority of the pros use this tactic to great effect. However, recent events have caused me to question this long-standing belief. I have recently learned that certain researches can counter the fearsome TEC ability more effectively than culture centers ever could.

Take for example the advent and vasari superweapons. The deliverance engine shoots out a beam of culture from the targeted planet, effectively acting as a superior culture center. This means that you are no longer limited to disabling just the starbases that border your empire. The Kostura cannon on the other hand inflicts damage AND disables all buildings in a gravwell for ~15 minutes, allowing you to easily destroy anything in the gravwell.

Based on this evidence, I think the majority of the community must conclude that the age old tactic of using culture centers to counter RB is very antiquated. A superior option exists. 

I notice some people do not believe/know culture affects use of starbase abilities. I will link a handy replay of a skilled MP game showcasing it. Here you go:

http://www.2shared.com/file/Hvt1KEwO/AutoRecord-05182008.html?

Make sure to skip to 1:34:54 to see it in action. Watch how the team 1 player prevents the other team from using a critical red button to turn the tide of battle. Amazing stuff!

Locked Post 48 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 24, 2014 10:59:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Starbases under the influence of hostile cultures cannot use their abilities, RB being among them.

Must have missed this in the change log.

September 24, 2014 11:07:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So is Goafan saying that kostura cannons do not disable enemy buildings? Or something else?

BTW, this wasnt in a recent changelog, but a part of the game since entrenchment. Where were you all this time?

September 24, 2014 11:20:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Hydrakiller,

So is Goafan saying that kostura cannons do not disable enemy buildings? Or something else?

BTW, this wasnt in a recent changelog, but a part of the game since entrenchment. Where were you all this time?

IIRC star bases, while not immune to Kostra Cannon, are only shut down for 5 seconds as opposed to the 20 seconds that all the other buildings in the gravwell undergo. That's really not much time. This was changed in Diplomacy IIRC.

Oh and I have never seen culture shut down a star base. Is that a new mod that MP plays?

September 25, 2014 2:45:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Hydrakiller,

I think we both know culture has never disabled Starbase abilities. I didn't quote any part of your OP that mentioned the Kostura.

September 25, 2014 6:30:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

One of the most effective counters to the TEC starbase's red button is to build culture centers. Starbases under the influence of hostile cultures cannot use their abilities, RB being among them. This has been proven in skilled multiplayer matches, where a majority of the pros use this tactic to great effect. However, recent events have caused me to question this long-standing belief. I have recently learned that certain researches can counter the fearsome TEC ability more effectively than culture centers ever could.

Take for example the advent and vasari superweapons. The deliverance engine shoots out a beam of culture from the targeted planet, effectively acting as a superior culture center. This means that you are no longer limited to disabling just the starbases that border your empire. The Kostura cannon on the other hand inflicts damage AND disables all buildings in a gravwell for ~15 minutes, allowing you to easily destroy anything in the gravwell.

Based on this evidence, I think the majority of the community must conclude that the age old tactic of using culture centers to counter RB is very antiquated. A superior option exists. 

I always flak spam the starbase into oblivion. Just hope the TEC starbase doesn't have the frigate factory upgrades and build some defending flak of it's own.

September 25, 2014 7:49:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Kostura cannon on the other hand inflicts damage AND disables all buildings in a gravwell for ~15 minutes, allowing you to easily destroy anything in the gravwell.

You're a moron -- it's 15 hours, not minutes...

Can't you read a simple infocard?

September 25, 2014 12:51:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

The Kostura cannon on the other hand inflicts damage AND disables all buildings in a gravwell for ~15 minutes, allowing you to easily destroy anything in the gravwell.

No, its 15 minutes. Check the game files. I used to mod for recreational purposes back in diplomacy so I know my shit.

September 25, 2014 2:50:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

Be nice.....

September 25, 2014 5:11:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Feel the BURN Seleuceia. Time for a wicket barbeque party!

September 25, 2014 5:24:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We have an obvious troll thread filled with lies and sarcasm, and the most pressing concern here is....

BE NICE

This is what happens when a gaming forum is policed by people who don't know anything about the game....

September 25, 2014 7:02:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's sad non modders and non MP are sprouting such misinformed nonsense.

September 25, 2014 8:05:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Hydrakiller,

It's sad non modders and non MP are sprouting such misinformed nonsense.

Cuz Goa has never made a mod not to mention anyone else in this thread.

September 25, 2014 8:40:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have a confession guys...I have never even played this game, I've just read the manual and the steam reviews...

September 26, 2014 1:06:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

I have a confession guys...I have never even played this game, I've just read the manual and the steam reviews...

You still know more than I do. Or is that more than Sinkillr? Or both?

September 26, 2014 3:23:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Quoting Hydrakiller,

I think we both know culture has never disabled Starbase abilities. I didn't quote any part of your OP that mentioned the Kostura.

Really? Is that why my replay says otherwise? This is almost embarrassing to watch as Goafan utters falsehood after falsehood that is repeatedly debunked by facts and solid evidence. I recommend for him to drink a tall glass of shut-up juice before he embarrasses himself more.

September 26, 2014 7:13:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ryat,

I'm sensing a Christopher Nolan film in the making...

September 26, 2014 7:42:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

We have an obvious troll thread filled with lies and sarcasm, and the most pressing concern here is....

BE NICE

This is what happens when a gaming forum is policed by people who don't know anything about the game....

Yeah, I know absolutely nothing about the game.....

Anyways, the "be nice" comment was directed at calling another user a moron.  I'd suggest dropping it at this point.

September 27, 2014 12:34:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Funny how Seleuceia runs away after the mod exposes him as a troll.

September 27, 2014 5:44:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

Quoting Ryat,

I'm sensing a Christopher Nolan film in the making...

A master journeyman of disguise, able to change his name at will and spout all sorts of rhetoric without any basis in logic or reality.

He's not the Sinkillr we deserve... he's the Sinkillr we need barely tolerate.

September 27, 2014 11:54:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

But Sin, wouldn't that be you running away as well?

September 30, 2014 7:15:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

OMFG.

Sel, i suggest you can claim victory in trollfight vs sinkllr!

September 30, 2014 3:32:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Seleueceia. you have admitted to trolling numerous times in both this forum and the steam one. Please stop before you further embarrass yourself.

September 30, 2014 5:11:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Show me "my" posts in the steam forums...this will be interesting to see since I don't post there....

Or perhaps I do, but don't remember because I have multiple personalities...perhaps, Sinkillr, you will help with my psychiatric diagnosis...

Perhaps myself will help myself identify myself...

September 30, 2014 5:38:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

Show me "my" posts in the steam forums...this will be interesting to see since I don't post there....

Or perhaps I do, but don't remember because I have multiple personalities...perhaps, Sinkillr, you will help with my psychiatric diagnosis...

Perhaps myself will help myself identify myself...

I post in the steam forums. Pretty sure Ryat and Goa do too.

QED you post in the steam forums.

September 30, 2014 6:49:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well now who can argue with that?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: