Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Should Sins 2 incorporate a morale system?

By on September 28, 2014 1:40:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinkillr

Join Date 04/2010
+416

One of the things that I found highly unrealistic about Rebellion was the exclusion of a morale system. Kind of like in rome total war where if a unit is outnumbered or facing heavy losses it becomes steadily more ineffective in combat. If it progresses far enough that unit eventually ends up "routing" where it flees from the battlefield until the morale goes back up to a "safe" level again.

I propose that a similar system be introduced for Sins 2. It is absurd to claim that a single cobalt frigate would not run in the face of a massive ankylon titan backed up by Kol capital ships and flak frigates. Under the new system, the cobalt would retreat to a "safer" world where its morale would rise again. An exception to this rule can be made to robot or suicidal units, like TEC Hoshiokos or advent seeker vessels with the martyrdom ability. 

Thoughts? Such a feature would breathe a fresh breath of realism into Sins which it has been lacking for a long time.
Locked Post 9 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 28, 2014 8:56:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

However realistic such an option may be, I think it takes away from the freedom of the player, which is why I don't like such a feature (also hated it in the Total War series, which is why I didn't play those games much).

September 28, 2014 8:58:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

One of the things that I found highly unrealistic about Rebellion was the exclusion of a morale system. Kind of like in rome total war where if a unit is outnumbered or facing heavy losses it becomes steadily more ineffective in combat. If it progresses far enough that unit eventually ends up "routing" where it flees from the battlefield until the morale goes back up to a "safe" level again.

I propose that a similar system be introduced for Sins 2. It is absurd to claim that a single cobalt frigate would not run in the face of a massive ankylon titan backed up by Kol capital ships and flak frigates. Under the new system, the cobalt would retreat to a "safer" world where its morale would rise again. An exception to this rule can be made to robot or suicidal units, like TEC Hoshiokos or advent seeker vessels with the martyrdom ability. 

Thoughts? Such a feature would breathe a fresh breath of realism into Sins which it has been lacking for a long time.

Having played plenty of WarGame lately (which has a unit morale system) I must say I do like it. So long as they kept the system simple enough so that new players could understand it I would support its inclusion.

September 28, 2014 10:23:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

A morale system does sound nice. Maybe even shape it so that each race has a different morale concept. Advent would be a fight to the death in many ways so they would rarely retreat, TEC believes in safety in numbers and don't really want to die so most likely to run, and Vasari have a superiority complex so while they wouldn't run when the odds go slightly less in their favor they would run if it got too much. Would it breathe fresh breath into Sins? I highly doubt it.

September 28, 2014 3:31:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Morale was discussed many times in the design of the original Sins of a Solar Empire. We decided not to include it because we felt it was more important for the player to have full control of his units. We also didn't like that representing the mechanics is very difficult and fuzzy. I've played every Total War game except Rome 2 and in all cases I felt it frustrating. However, I tolerate it there because it was such a part of historical battles. In the science fiction world of Sins I can do without it. 

September 28, 2014 3:49:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Blair Fraser,

In the science fiction world of Sins I can do without it.

Drugs. Drugs to keep the men fighting.

September 28, 2014 4:55:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Teun-A-Roonius,

However realistic such an option may be, I think it takes away from the freedom of the player, which is why I don't like such a feature (also hated it in the Total War series, which is why I didn't play those games much).

Of all the problems with Total War games, I actually think morale was one of the things they got right most of the time. Only problem I had with it was that in certain games, on the highest difficulty levels they give the AI ridiculous morale bonuses, which basically meant you needed elephants and flaming ammo artillery to get good units to retreat.

That said, yeah I'm not sure how it would work with Sins. With total war it works alright because your troops are always grouped together information. In Sins the individual ships are more independent, making it harder to decide which ships should be retreating. Also, in Sins the entire galaxy is a battlefield, in total war its just a few random square miles of land.

September 30, 2014 7:34:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No way this is happening. Play Total War than.

September 30, 2014 11:27:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting HummerX,

No way this is happening. Play Total War than.

on that subject I would love a space empire 4x in total war style....

October 1, 2014 7:47:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

THE ENEMY TITAN IS RUNNING LIKE A WHIPPED DOG

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: