Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

#Gamergate as seen outside games

By on October 14, 2014 3:10:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

They should be friends

Talking tech with friends, making games, playing games, it’s just plain awesome.  It saddens me to see people seeming to lose sight of that.  I was doing an interview last week with a journalist and we spent hours talking about Kurzweil and the singularity. 

The typical gamer and the typical journalist are kindred spirits. The escalation between those who support #gamergate and those who oppose it has been almost entirely because of a few bad actors on both sides trying to pain the other side with incredibly broad strokes which in turn infuriates the non-bad actors on both sides.

No moral equivalence here

One reason I’m sympathetic to #gamergate is that at least those guys realize there are total scumbags doing bad things in their name and they do honestly try to police it. 

By contrast, those who oppose gamergate don’t seem to be willing to even acknowledge that there are bad actors on their side or that there are a few that are cynically trying to use the controversy to forward their careers in ways that their actual work doesn’t merit.

I saw a tweet just yesterday by Anita Sarkeesian complaining that a game she found objectionable wasn’t being downgraded or criticized by the gaming media.  I mean, come on! If it was Bob Sarkeesian and he was complaining that the games should have been marked down because of violence or something the press would have lampooned him. 

If Sarkeesian wants to complain about the depiction of women it seems like there are much bigger targets that have a lot more influence over how women see themselves than games…

While the social justice crowd was complaining about Spider-Woman and women in video games, this was the cover of Cosmopolitan that month (September 2014 issue)

Meanwhile, the most popular female character in games of the past couple years has the power to rip open space time.

GG outside the game industry

I’ve gotten a couple (at least 2) anti GG articles killed off simply by explaining GG is really about as accurately as I can.  I wasn’t trying to kill the articles, I just got asked what the deal was because sometimes I’m the only “game person” that these journalists know.

Here’s how the conversation typically goes:

Journalist: So what’s this “Gamergate thing about”? Are gamers really afraid of women playing or making games?

Me: No. It started as a tempest in a teapot. An indie game developer got caught sleeping with some journalists and some people thought (wrongly) that she was trading sex for reviews. 

Then the gaming media decided to do a series of articles, within 24 hours, insinuating that not only was the harassment of this poor woman due to her being a woman but also that gaming culture was inherently misogynistic. This caused a consumer revolt against the gaming media as they were offended at being insulted by the very game sites that they trusted and believed in.

Journalist: So they’re not harassing women?

Me: There’s always harassment of women on the Internet.  It’s the Internet. That doesn’t excuse it. Trolls and jerks target anyone and anything they can. But laying blame on that to Gamergate is ridiculous. The fact is, ANYONE who is vocal on the Internet is going to face harassment. 

I’ve gotten abuse online for years peppered with the occasional death threat.  So have most publicly facing game developers. My friends at Blizzard have told me some real horror stories. 

Of course, the difference is that it never occurs to us to screenshot this stuff and post on Twitter because, you know what the response to that would be. We’d get called “man babies” or whiners or what have you.

Me: Seriously, picture what the response would be if I went online as recently as 3 months ago and posted one of the death threats I get. Do you seriously think any journalist would write a story on that?

Journalist: No, it would be a dog bites man story.

Me: Exactly. So the problem here is that some in the gaming media have an existing narrative: Gamers are misogynists. Then, they simply cherry pick examples to fit that narrative.

Journalist: So what is the purpose of writing these articles?

Me: I have no idea. The anti-GG people think this is a “PR war”. That if enough anti-GG articles are written they’ll somehow “win”. But unless they have the power to change demographics based on PR, which they don’t, when the dust settles, they’re going to have to live with the consequences of antagonizing their readers.

Journalist: Well it sounds like the issue is a lot more nuanced than what I was led to believe.

Me: It is.  Their best strategy would be to just cool down and resist the urge to lash out.  I don’t like getting harassed online either. I’ve had years of time to get used to it though and can say that the best tactic is: Pick your battles. 

Locked Post 16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 14, 2014 1:11:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Elizabeth is obviously just an appeal to male fantasy.  Doesn't everyone want a chick that plays with space time instead of spending four hours in the bathroom every day?

October 14, 2014 8:50:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Political correctness to the extreme is what I think about it caused by cultural marxism (somebody posted it in the other GG thread).

About Blizzard, you don't mean that time when Blizzard wanted to introduce 'Real ID' ?   Their forumers didn't like it so one of the CMs posted his real name to show it was nothing dangerous <----- HÅHÅÅÅÅÅ he got alooot of shit for that     People called him in the middle of the night, plinged on the doorbell and some other things.

Less than a week later (if I remember correctly) Blizzard revoked the 'Real ID' thing.

I kinda wonder why the SJW haven't attacked womens media like Cosmopolitan, Frida and such. Maybe they're too powerful and wil not bend.

October 14, 2014 9:10:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Campaigner,

Political correctness to the extreme is what I think about it caused by cultural marxism (somebody posted it in the other GG thread).

About Blizzard, you don't mean that time when Blizzard wanted to introduce 'Real ID' ?   Their forumers didn't like it so one of the CMs posted his real name to show it was nothing dangerous <----- HÅHÅÅÅÅÅ he got alooot of shit for that     People called him in the middle of the night, plinged on the doorbell and some other things.

Less than a week later (if I remember correctly) Blizzard revoked the 'Real ID' thing.

I kinda wonder why the SJW haven't attacked womens media like Cosmopolitan, Frida and such. Maybe they're too powerful and wil not bend.

It's because they see us 'gamers' as easy targets. They don't realise that their mental stereotype of a gamer is completely wrong and misguided.

October 14, 2014 11:00:59 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Mr. Wardell, I appreciate very much your taking a principled stance on #Gamergate and putting up your interview at The Escapist. This is even more important now that 2 of them (both pro-Gamergate) have now been taken down. Since we have read numerous 'hit-pieces' online (many supported by a man named Alex Liefschitz- you need to look into him) decrying yours as well, it might not be too long before an excuse is found to take it off the site. Most of the flak of course, comes from the libel concerning your harassment scandal.

However, while I agree with much of what you say, it is far more than a 'tempest in a teapot'. Gamergate started out of the Quinnspiracy, as Gamers thought that sexual favors had gotten good reviews, and obviously we know that single specific issue is not correct. But it opened the door to a great deal more. Even more than game journalists being corrupt. This is an ideological war, one that has been in the making for a few years and the scandal with Quinn only pushed this agenda out into the open.

I would ask that you spend 11 minutes of your time, watching this particular video by Sargon of Akkad, where he analyzes a lecture given by the above named Alex Liefschitz, who works with Critical Distance, the group that departed The Escapist immediately after Alex Macris improved the site's ethics policy. The lecture is from April of this year-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51McaZrra7w&list=UU-yewGHQbNFpDrGM0diZOLA

Not only do we have an extremely aggressive tone and obvious hatred of Gamers by Mr. Liefschitz, but notice that the audience of games journalists is cheering him on. Sargon calls this a 'book burning' and it may as well be for the obvious hatred displayed here.

Now, recently I had an essay I wrote regarding Milo Yiannopolous' RadioNERO show, his second episode https://soundcloud.com/radio_nero/series-1-episode-2-professional-failures published over at the RalphRetort, who has been covering many Gamergate issues. You are welcome to read the entire thing if you wish, it's not that long-

http://theralphretort.com/reader-commentary-radio-nero-sjw-methods/

However, let me quote you one portion of that essay, written by a friend of Anita Sarkeesian-

“September 8, 2014

This is a culture war. The right side is winning, at great cost. At great personal costs to people like Anita Sarkeesian, Leigh Alexander, Zoe Quinn and even Jennifer Lawrence, and countless others who are on the frontlines of creating new worlds for women, for girls, for everyone who believes that stories matter and there are too many still untold. We are winning. We are winning because we are more resourceful, more compassionate, more culturally aware. We’re winning because we know what it’s like to fight through adversity, through shame and pain and constant reminders of our own worthlessness, and come up punching. We know we’re winning because the terrified rage of a million mouthbreathing manchild misogynists is thick as nerve gas in the air right now.

Us Social Justice Warriors – this is me, stealing that word in order to use it against my enemies- are winning the culture war by tearing up the rulebook, and there’s nothing the sad, mad little boys who hate women and queers and people of colour can do about it. Nothing, at least, that doesn’t sabotage their strategy, because they can win their game from day to day, but they’re losing the war. They can punish me for writing this, and I’m sure they will, but that will only prove my point. I’m not afraid anymore.

Every time they make an example of one of us, ten more stand up in outrage to hold her up or take her place.

We are stronger, smarter and more numerous than anyone imagined, and we are not to be fucked with.

Excerpt from WHY WE’RE WINNING: SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS AND THE NEW CULTURE WAR by Laurie Penny (via femfreq)”

http://floerian.tumblr.com/page/2

You may not have been aware of it, and that's fine, not everyone knows everything that goes on in their industries. However, this was written on 9/8. Long before most people in Gamergate were aware of what was going on. They knew this was coming and they wanted it to. They didn't want the Quinn scandal, that was an accident, but they did want to oust 'Gamers' from the industry. Look at what Brianna Wu has done recently. She intentionally Snubbed Milo's show, where she was supposedly going to talk about her death threat and try to 'build bridges' but instead, went on MSNBC to *also* call this a 'War'. THAT was no accident.

Thank you for your time,

Kyle W.

October 15, 2014 5:18:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"We know we’re winning because the terrified rage of a million mouthbreathing manchild misogynists is thick as nerve gas in the air right now."

WTF?

They think they are 'more compassionate' and more 'culturally aware' and then they throw out inflammatory remarks like that? Assuming all gamers are mouthbreathing manchild misogynists?

Maybe if the devoted all that energy into making the kind of games they want to play instead of trying to force everyone else to change for the sake of their feelings?

October 15, 2014 7:44:06 AM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

#GamerGate Interview – Reviewing the Reviewers, Double Time Edition

I wanted to prep you up for this piece a bit, if I may. This is an interview conducted for Niche Gamer with two developers of iconic pedigree under guarantee of anonymity. Due to the nature of the interview, names have been removed to protect the identities of the developers.

Please understand the reasoning behind this, and please know that both developers truly wished they could go public. For now, they simply can’t, and I hope you still enjoy the interview, it’s quite length

Read more

http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/10/gamergate-interview-reviewing-the-reviewers-double-time-edition/

October 15, 2014 8:40:58 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

One of the (fictional) stories that I'm writing is about a developer's partner being assigned to review her game.

Rather than focusing just on the controversy that arises (or not!) when news of their relationship surfaces, I'm going to look at how their relationship is affected by that game and 120 hours of trying to compete for attention.  Will Sasha be tempted to bring in Richard Ridings as a voice actor to put a little Easter egg in the game for when the clock strikes twelve?  I dunno, but I guess we'll find out one day!

October 15, 2014 12:04:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What does 'mouthbreathing' and 'manchild' really mean?   I got an idea but I wanna make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else.

That September 8 lecture....WHAT in the unholy fuck was that??   Painting themselves as rebels when they are the establishment!   Just WTF!?

October 15, 2014 1:46:03 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm getting the idea that GG will slowly die off having accomplished nothing, and the gaming world will happily keep turning.

October 15, 2014 1:46:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Infantile idiots.

Mouthbreathers are people too dumb to breath through their own nose, a manchild is a guy that never grew up.

October 15, 2014 2:49:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting matrix_v,

I'm getting the idea that GG will slowly die off having accomplished nothing, and the gaming world will happily keep turning.

Yup. It seems to be a big surprise to many that their reviewers are corrupted though. And that's probably the only good thing to come from gamersgate - an increased awareness that the world is shit. /sulk

October 15, 2014 5:31:08 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Brad, you've been around long enough to understand that the only way to stop a flame war is to stop participating in the flame war.

October 16, 2014 12:09:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

damnit, delete this

October 16, 2014 12:11:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here is the piece of crap from the day before, we were not happy 

October 16, 2014 12:16:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We are getting more mainstream    

these girls knocked it out of the park for us today and GamerGaters were ecstatic.

October 16, 2014 8:18:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I watch them and they were fantastic.  I'd be willing to bet that there will be a coordinated hit job on these ladies in a day or so.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000062   Page Render Time: