Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

[Help ] Importing .mesh files into 3DS max with multiple materials

By on March 24, 2015 2:18:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

SkyWolf95

Join Date 07/2013

hi everyone

i have recently bought a 3d printer and i started printing many starships models (yes, i do love sci-fi ), now i started printing the game ships using the latest version of the importer tool, everything went fine untill i starterd converting some mod ships.

most of the mod's ships show "multiple materials not yet supported" when tring to import and i cant find any solution...

there is a way to avoid this problem?

(the fun thing is that i don't even need the materials nor the textures but only the model  )

thanks in advance 

Locked Post 5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 24, 2015 3:32:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

try converting the .mesh to text, remove the second material set, change material count to 1, convert ack to bin and import to max. Just a theory, but should work.

March 24, 2015 6:38:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thanks, i'll try that 

i'm kinda new to modding and i have no clue on how to convert the .mesh to text and to bin...

could you explain me how to do that? (or point me to a tutorial or something?)

thanks again 

March 24, 2015 7:23:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

http://gamergate.ca/SoaSE/Convert_Data.html

What version are you doing by chance? Rebellion or Trinity (Diplomacy, Entrenchment, Org)

I have many already converted to .obj here http://1drv.ms/1MJLe8R

March 25, 2015 4:15:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

myfist0, thank you for reiminding me about my desire from many years ago(2008/9) to have physical models of the ships and have converted the models to formats that can be worked with by the printing programs.

Harpo, the NON-subscriber

March 25, 2015 5:15:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thank you, the site is very helpfull, i'll try this method as soon as i can 

(p.s. i am using rebellion)

EDIT:

OK i managed to convert and to succesfully import the meshes 

thank you very much for your help 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time: