Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Real disappointment

By on May 15, 2015 2:01:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

petrch

Join Date 06/2008

I have to say I´m really disappointed with your game so far, main new feature, multiplayer, is very badly implemented, no LAN, no hotseat, no turn time limit, simultaneous turns, disable animations or any other server settings, other than that, my hopes for improved combat mechanics were unfulfilled, game also seem to be badly optimized (loading screen is like 2-3  minutes on PC with 16 GB RAM) and I had to solve missing fonts problem when I tried to play it. I believe you will improve it with pacthes in the future, but initial impression is very bad and I will not recommend this game to any of my friends, bad job so far, get it better

bye

Petr

Locked Post 70 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 15, 2015 7:23:45 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Petr,

While this game is far from perfect, most of the issues you have with multiplayer could have been easily brought to your attention before you purchased if you had you done a bit of research into the features of the game, or even just posted a thread here asking.

Certainly there are bugs as you mention, however try not to give up on it just yet.  Stardock generally have pretty good turn around time for patches / fixes so you never know, these issues might be resolved quickly 

May 15, 2015 8:27:00 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The odd thing is all the reviews that highly rate this game. The AI has serious deficiencies still.

May 15, 2015 9:02:52 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Reviewers aren't going to hammer the AI of a base game in a franchise where 73% of players never once go above Beginner. I, for one, never once go above the difficulty where the AI gets additional bonuses the player does not. Min-maxing in a strategy game simply isn't my idea of fun, even if I could sit down, do the math, and game the system for extreme efficiency.

I suppose I would have also preferred a more polished 1.0 but, when the game is already where it's at, what's the point? Stardock clearly knew they had a quality product on their hands and the official release, along with all of the marketing for it, is no doubt going to drastically boost sales, players, and the number of reports about bugs and issues that Stardock will continue to furiously improve. You can already see that in the incredible surge of threads around here!

Combine that with the 8/10 and 9/10 reviews and you have what looks like a stellar launch from a business perspective. The future of Galactic Civilizations 3 looks strong and I am extremely pleased with my investment as an Elite Founder.

May 15, 2015 9:35:30 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Yeah I gotta say I am quite curious as to why developers decide to release when they do.

Especially in a game like this where the developer has made boat loads of money in past games and can (or at least should be able to) afford a decent production cycle on the next game.

There are bugs in the bug tracker that have been there for weeks (some of them are just typo's) and yet noone fixed them before release. Why release then? You'll only get hammered in reviews.. so why?

I'm honestly curious as to the reason - this isn't the only game either so there must be a good reason for it.

May 15, 2015 11:09:05 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I can't imagine why I, in the shoes of a reviewer, would ever get on a game about easy-to-fix bugs or typos. As an educated reviewer I would consider the company behind the game: Stardock. What does anyone know about Stardock? They have incredible post-release support and will be working on this game relentlessly. Therefore, what do I care about in my review?

Big things. Big, hard to change things that will keep my review content current for as long as possible. This means not sweating the small stuff, such as typos.

That, in my mind, is a very sensible reason for it. And as you can tell, it hasn't impacted reviews at all: The response to Galactic Civilizations 3 is phenomenal. Stardock has another huge win to notch into their belts.

Even though there's a huge amount of work to be done, I'm hoping Mr. Wardell, Boyer, and the rest of the team at Stardock popped a few expensive bottles of champagne. This is an occasion that deserves it.

And going forward we already have cool new features to look forward to: Downloading custom Major Factions from other players through the Steam Workshop, for instance! That'll really help me fill out those Gigantic+ games!

In the face of those things, I don't care about their broken spacing in Race descriptions, bad grammar, or outright mispellings. Those are easy to sweep through and resolve.

May 15, 2015 11:31:36 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I bought the game per-release to play in the beta. I think they did a good job addressing many of the concerns of the beta testers. Like SerakX mentioned, Stardock is known for maintaining a good game long past its release. I expect Gal Civ III only to improve in the next year, and probably years to come. That being said, if you have serious gripes about some of the things you mentioned, I would ask for a refund.

May 15, 2015 11:44:34 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

But Elemental still leaves a bad taste in a lot of people mouths. The first Elemental War of Magic where they ended up giving TWO free expansions because the uproar was so great they almost had to. Still the taste is there and I'm still much skeptical about buying in new release by Stardock.

May 16, 2015 7:41:47 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,

(loading screen is like 2-3  minutes on PC with 16 GB RAM)

Loading screen takes 11 seconds for me (also with 16GB RAM). Consider that there may be something wrong with your system/setup?

May 16, 2015 7:52:59 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I think they said they would fix all multi-player issues as fast as possible but also said that multi-player are less then 2% of the player base of the game so other stuff might get a higher priority. I guess stability in multi-player are a high priority but more refined changes less so.

Minor issues have not impacted review much as far as I can see and I really don't see why they should either. The game are perfectly playable even with minor errors here and there.

In my opinion the game is really good and the potential of the game going forward seem really big, given they will add content to the game for many years to come.

The fact the AI also is completely data driven means that it has the potential to become quite good in the future once they manage to teach how to interpret all the data in the game properly.

May 16, 2015 7:53:55 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Ed1975,

Quoting ,

(loading screen is like 2-3  minutes on PC with 16 GB RAM)

Loading screen takes 11 seconds for me (also with 16GB RAM). Consider that there may be something wrong with your system/setup?

I have 16GB ram and loading maps from tiny to insane (yeah I had to just do it to see the map size) and the multiplayer only takes seconds I agree either something wrong with his comp or I get a aroma of Troll or Bull.

May 16, 2015 8:14:48 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The loading screen stays on for 2-3 minutes?? You should defrag your HDD or something. On my PC it lasts for just a couple of seconds.

May 16, 2015 8:15:22 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Reviewers are reviewing the single player game. And MP is not the "main new feature" in any case. It's a shame that it's not working, but nobody is doing MP great these days. (Consider how a game like Destiny that's designed from the ground-up to be MP on the console no less has struggled with these same issues).

It takes a couple minutes to launch the game for me as well. That's pretty annoying, but since I am not playing MP the game (for me) is really stable, so in the end I only see that launch screen once each time I play (as opposed to several times because the game crashes).

The AI is actually pretty decent. It can't compete with the expert min-maxers atm but it plays competently.

May 16, 2015 8:16:08 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The AI has serious deficiencies compared to what other game?

May 16, 2015 8:23:54 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Pretty disappointed myself, and I am very surprised (not really, because most reviewers are terrible) by the reviews.

May 16, 2015 9:07:33 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Maybe you should also take into account the things that do work and that are good instead of just focusing on yet uncompleted or missing features. It's easy to loose track of the big picture if you obsess on certain aspects. Are there teething troubles? Of course. Is it overall a good and fun game? I think it is. 

As for the loading time: What makes a big difference on my machine are the power settings of windows. If it is on power-saving than especially the performance of games really goes down compared to the high performance settings.

May 16, 2015 9:18:43 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Rhaegor,

Pretty disappointed myself, and I am very surprised (not really, because most reviewers are terrible) by the reviews.

Ok I am going to be as polite as I can. First sorry you are disappointed. The game plays VERY well and has the best AI of ANY 4x game ever.I love peeps who direct to shooters as having better ai. That is entirely different topic.

Since you are so disappointed please direct this thread to a (gold released 4x game) that has better AI and better game play?

I have nearly 400 hours playing and the game is seriously one of the best 4x games on the market. Again, please direct to a 4x game that is or was better at gold release, with a better ai and was not such a "disappointment" for you?

May 17, 2015 5:22:23 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Larsenex,

Quoting Rhaegor,

Ok I am going to be as polite as I can. First sorry you are disappointed. The game plays VERY well and has the best AI of ANY 4x game ever.I love peeps who direct to shooters as having better ai. That is entirely different topic.

Since you are so disappointed please direct this thread to a (gold released 4x game) that has better AI and better game play?

I have nearly 400 hours playing and the game is seriously one of the best 4x games on the market. Again, please direct to a 4x game that is or was better at gold release, with a better ai and was not such a "disappointment" for you?

Distant worlds AI is pretty amazing - and can be modded. The entire trade system runs via AI with zero interaction from the user as far as trade ship movements.

May 17, 2015 7:22:48 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The AI can only be perceived as disappointing by GalCiv standards. Compared to the AI of most games, it's pretty solid. They've mentioned it's now "C" and they're hoping for "A" in the future, so that's what I'm looking forward to.

May 17, 2015 7:36:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't decide who's worse....fanboys or trolls.....

May 17, 2015 5:46:48 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting wbino49,

Why decide! They're both terrible!

May 17, 2015 6:00:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Reviewers aren't going to give GC a bad review because of MP, which is the absolute least important thing in a 4X strategy game.  They see the bigger picture.

May 17, 2015 6:46:06 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Rest assured MP will be fixed and eventually improved upon. MP players just need to understand that they are a rather small minority of the player base and other things are more likely to take priority.

Things that most likely are done first will be any bugs and instability with MP... I guess you will see that within the first few patches.

May 17, 2015 7:06:11 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Honestly, my complaints about the game are small and related mostly to accessibility issues (and "medium" ui size is coming soon.) I played and loved GC2 and I'm playing and loving GC3. I agree with that one review that said this game is planning for the long haul. I can see tons of areas where expacs could be put out to really make this game shine like DA and ToA did for GC2.

May 17, 2015 7:34:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting wbino49,

A person who disagrees with the majority is not automatically a troll...

May 17, 2015 7:55:58 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

My only complaint is the short campaign. Though I would like to see ship loadouts due to weapon range and type and ship role be a little more viable.

I'm still optimistic that stardock will fix issues before moving the team over to their next project of StarControl 4. I mean they sold us the founders pack on the idea they would be creating more content for the game as expansions and that we'd get it free... so if all they do is fix some bus and move on I'll be pissed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001359   Page Render Time: