Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Graphics and Sins of a Solar Empire

By on February 8, 2008 10:50:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

From viewing the forums around the net, one thing I've noticed is that people assume the default graphics settings are the only settings there are.

So some people don't realize just how good the graphics in the game are.  To change the graphics, players need to go into "EFFECTS".

Here are screenshots of not even the highest settings running at the lowest resolution.

2008-02-08_2229 2008-02-08_2239

2008-02-08_2239_001

There's some bug with my nVidia driver that the game will freeze if I set the bump mapping to highest. nVidia says they're looking into it. So the game can actually look better than this (just not on my laptop right now until the new driver update). So if you do run into a problem with your nVidia card, just tweak down the settings. We'll post when nVidia has an update. But it looks gorgeous either way.

39 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 8, 2008 10:51:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here's a clip show in Flash format:

http://screencast.com/t/IuucmYUquq6

February 8, 2008 11:15:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
The link seems to be broken.

I must say though, Sins looks beautiful with everything cranked all the way. Love how the ships look with all the detail. Personally I really like the Advent designs.
February 8, 2008 11:30:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
When analyzing the graphics in this game one must also consider the scope in which they are seen. Hundreds of awsome looking ships with wild weapon effects in a huge battle is just awsome!! I run everything at highest with 2 AA and the ships shimmer in the sunlight/laserlight. Very nice graphics.
February 9, 2008 1:20:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The link seems to be broken.

I must say though, Sins looks beautiful with everything cranked all the way. Love how the ships look with all the detail. Personally I really like the Advent designs.

February 9, 2008 2:27:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
You mean my Crappy ATI card plays this game better than an Nvidia card...

thats a first
February 9, 2008 2:31:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
It is pretty cool on highest, and extremely smooth too. So far I've only had one instance where framerate suffered a bit, and that was when an enemy brought 200 or so TEC missile frigates into my base. All the missiles and their smoketrails would cause little hiccups when they went off.
February 9, 2008 3:41:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Once I get my God Box resurrected I will take some 5MP images shots and do some video cap as well. The game is really fluid with two GTX ultras on ultra high res with ultra high graphics.
February 9, 2008 3:49:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
And in contrast to that, I'd like to thank Ironclad/Stardock for creating a game that, believe it or not, runs well at less than the minimum requirements!. And boy, am I thankful. My current laptop's got a bad video card and is off getting fixed, so I'm stuck with my old one for now. It's not bad, but definitely below the min reqs listed: 1.4GHZ, 32MB ATI card. And believe it or not, the game actually runs fine. Sure, I had to turn down every graphics setting to "Lowest", but the important thing is I can play it now, instead of waiting until the other computer gets back
February 9, 2008 4:15:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
My system is the minimum requirements (no more, no less), can anyone give me the highest settings I can run my game at? (already tried planet - high and it completely ruins my game, freezes every 0.1 seconds)
February 9, 2008 5:17:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hellfire, just use trial and error methods until you find the balance that allows for a balance between playability and eye-candy.
February 9, 2008 6:50:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
There's some bug with my nVidia driver that the game will freeze if I set the bump mapping to highest. nVidia says they're looking into it. So the game can actually look better than this (just not on my laptop right now until the new driver update). So if you do run into a problem with your nVidia card, just tweak down the settings. We'll post when nVidia has an update. But it looks gorgeous either way.

I have a Geforce 8800 GTS, still using some older drivers and the game runs perfectly fine on 1680*1050 with everything set to highest :]
February 9, 2008 7:42:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I don't know what driver you're using, but I'm running an 8800 GTX myself, driver release 169.25 for Vista 64 and no freezing or anything, game set to max settings. Doesn't even really get choppy till I put 200-300 ships in close proximity fighting it out...
February 9, 2008 7:45:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I have « set the bump mapping to highest » on all features, and my GeForce 6800 does not freeze. I use the December 2007, 169.21 nVidia drivers.
February 9, 2008 10:17:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
And a few year old rig will run this game at highest settings no problem.

I have a 4 year old P4 2.8ghz
I do have 2 gigs of RAM.

Video card is ATI x800 GTO 256 meg *AGP*. Couple generations behind obviously.

I'm running at 1440x900 on my widescreen monitor and *all* settings are cranked up to their highest setting. Yes, the highest. So far I have had no slowdowns and FPS rarely drop below 25-30. It's just smooth. And I have had some pretty big multi fleet battles so far.

So yes, crank the effects up!
February 9, 2008 4:23:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I am using a 7600 GTX with the recent drivers and my game does lock up. I turned it down from highest to high and it does it much less ovten but still does it. however my FPS is fine.
February 9, 2008 4:27:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Once I get my God Box resurrected I will take some 5MP images shots and do some video cap as well. The game is really fluid with two GTX ultras on ultra high res with ultra high graphics.

use the word ultra one more time and I will stab you
February 9, 2008 4:31:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
haha

hes lucky tho
February 9, 2008 4:57:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
And in contrast to that, I'd like to thank Ironclad/Stardock for creating a game that, believe it or not, runs well at less than the minimum requirements!. And boy, am I thankful.

I agree. My brother is using my old computer, which hasn't been upgraded for quite a while. That means that he can't play most (or nowadays any) of the new games that are coming out, which means that most of our online games that we both play are on consols, which don't work well with strategy games. Even so, this game still looks good even at minimum settings.

Off topic, what happened to the high-res screenshots in the download page? The largest images that I saw when I tried to view them are now 800X600. Will the higher-res screenshots be downloadable in a possible future fansite kit?
February 10, 2008 1:32:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Geforce 7900 GT, everything cranked up to max on 1920x1200 resolution widescreen looks incredible. Its absolutely stunning how much can happen on screen at once without any slowdown at all. I had a duel with a pirate base once, over 200 pirate ships vs a fully maxed out Vasari fleet (16 capships plus maxed out enforcer cruisers) and didn't even blink.

Now that was epic.
February 10, 2008 3:38:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hal, what drivers are you using?
February 10, 2008 3:45:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Im running dual liquid cooled 8800 GTX overclocked to 675, 1075 shader clocks. I play the game at 2560x1600 resolution, with all details maxed and effects turned on. The planets need some graphical improvement.
February 10, 2008 3:51:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
How do you find out how many fps you are getting in this game?
February 10, 2008 11:43:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How do you find out how many fps you are getting in this game?

Fraps
February 11, 2008 6:24:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
My system is 3-4 years old, I have 3GHz and a GF6600GT (128MB) and the DEFAULT (!) settings preset by the game after installation were: everything set to HIGH except for the "bump" settings, they were preset to LOW.

The game runs perfectly on my old machine, no lags, no low-fps so far. I've played 4 small maps with up to 30 planets and 1360 supply fleets and 2 AI enemies and mostly not from "first person perspective". So I can't tell whether it's ok online or with larger maps and more enemies. But I am amazed at how you don't have to 'fear' the HIGH graphics settings in this game, as you normally have to with so many others.
February 11, 2008 6:31:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
My system is 2 days old. I got everything set to max and running it on a 27.5 inch Monitor. Man, this looks real goooood!  
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002219   Page Render Time: