Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

IGN Blog: That's right, Sins has ZERO DVD copy protection

Gamers are basically honest

By on January 29, 2008 5:05:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1109

Like Stardock's other games, Sins of a Solar Empire ships with no copy protection on DVD.  Instead, Stardock/Ironclad are implementing a system to reward gamers for purchasing Sins of a Solar Empire.

No matter where in the world you buy a Stardock game, you can download the entire game or any update via Stardock Central.  The serial # that comes in the box takes care of everything as it's tied to each user.

And just like Stardock's other games, Sins of a Solar Empire will have a day 1 bonus update that includes new maps, modding tools, the forge editor, and more!

Read our blog on the issue of copy protection over at IGN.

View: Yes Virginia, there's no CD copy protection in Sins of a Solar Empire

40 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 29, 2008 5:35:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Woohoo! Everything will be released on day ONE!!!

January 29, 2008 5:51:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
new maps thx god [ehh i mean devs}  
only 6 days guys
yippie
January 29, 2008 5:59:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Two thumbs up
I really hope that youll never regret this.

--------------------------------
SINS de deutsche Seite
SINS bz english site
Zweite deutsche Seite
Deutsche Wiki zu SoaSE
Sins Wiki on Wikepedia
January 29, 2008 6:21:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
... modding tools... voootzen!!!
January 29, 2008 6:25:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
whooooooooooo!
6 days!
January 29, 2008 6:26:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Is the bonus update only for people that get the game on day 1, or can it be obtained for anyone who can't get the game on the first day? Also, is the bonus only for the download people?
January 29, 2008 7:15:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
And just like Stardock's other games, Sins of a Solar Empire will have a day 1 bonus update that includes new maps, modding tools, the forge editor, and more!

I'm pretty sure the Bonus Update is just a patch so everyone would be able to get it. Also the content they say it adds would also make me think that it would Not be only for some users.
January 29, 2008 7:55:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is the bonus update only for people that get the game on day 1, or can it be obtained for anyone who can't get the game on the first day? Also, is the bonus only for the download people?

It is for anyone that purchase the game and register it of course. Anyway, many of us here already have it [beta4] and we need so juice to keep us happy.

January 29, 2008 7:57:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Ok, just wanted to clear that up, since I am probably not going to get the game on the first day

Looking forward to release!
January 29, 2008 8:08:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
@Frogboy - So have you read any good posts from StarF*ck lately?
January 29, 2008 8:26:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
nice!
January 29, 2008 8:52:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

nice!

I bet few here know what my last post is in reference to...
January 29, 2008 9:07:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
ahhhh, the classic torrent finder/DRM provider. I may hate them, but I do have to give them credit for their advertising ingenuity. Why not use some of their profits to do exactly what they claim they will stop? Come to think of it, that isn't all that novel, considering Capone and the rest of the boys were doing it in the '30s, but I'm glad to see Russia catching up. I hope they come out with a beta 4 torrent in 7 days to prove their value that turns out like the last one did, except even less current and more likely to gain Stardock some new customers .
January 29, 2008 9:13:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
January 29, 2008 9:27:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Well, to Starforce's credit, it did do a very good job of stopping piracy of the games protected by it (other than unplugging your IDE drives when loading off the image, which is the only 'crack' of it I've seen while I paid attention). Of course, the side effect of it was that it also did a very good job of screwing up legit users, too
January 29, 2008 9:32:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, to Starforce's credit, it did do a very good job of stopping piracy of the games protected by it (other than unplugging your IDE drives when loading off the image, which is the only 'crack' of it I've seen while I paid attention). Of course, the side effect of it was that it also did a very good job of screwing up legit users, too

There were other options but somewhat more techic oriented. I can honestly say I never had SF cripple my rigs and still enjoyed all the goodness of some titles shackled by it.
January 29, 2008 9:33:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, but that whole turning users' dvd drives into useless security holes that can't even write to a disk thing if you're unlucky is generally regarded as 'not cool' or '5 minutes of unprintable obscenity' in a recent poll of st*rf*rc* victims. And spartan, you got off real easy if it never caused any problems or left an opening for any nasty viruses, but you didn't get the full joy of the games, seeing as it reduces your framerates by about 20% *at least in trackmania).
January 29, 2008 9:39:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
There's that The only Starforce game I remember playing was a WW2 RTS (for the life of me I can't remember the name now), and I got off fairly easily too.
January 30, 2008 1:07:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
They had three levels of security actually. The basic was fairly harmless, no worse than safedisk, but the enterprise level protection that shit for brains ubisoft was putting into their titles was a serious threat. It hijacked your entire system and disabled functionality to prevent you from doing various things that could be used to reverse engineer or copy it. If you've ever had a hardware conflict fry your entire system, you know how dangerous having some putz company mess with the zero level drivers can be.
January 30, 2008 2:36:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am sorry but you are quite wrong. Reloaded effectivelly cracked starforce (it took em a few months but then starforce was goodbye same as with Tages.)

Kuddos to SDC for not putting the protection on. Best protection is still serial via account online.

January 30, 2008 2:56:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Kuddos to SDC for not putting the protection on. Best protection is still serial via account online.

Yep. It works well and does nto treat consumers as crooks and it in fact gives them a bonus with free auto updates which shows a lot of love to the end-user.
January 30, 2008 5:35:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Agreed with the above.

I personally think it's a lot smarter to reward people who buy the game, instead of punishing those that don't (and a fair deal of user that do).
January 30, 2008 5:47:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Agreed with the above.

I personally think it's a lot smarter to reward people who buy the game, instead of punishing those that don't (and a fair deal of user that do).

The do not punish the people who play it illegaly, the punish all those who bought it.
If you read game forums youll always see people who bought a game and who can not play it, because of the copy protection.

Changing that, deinstalling this, place this there, shut down that, reinstall whatever, wait for the xyz patch next year.

The only ones who dont care are the Pirates, since there is a small patch/file/crack for everything.

Sooooooooooo, Stardock makes it easy for those who buy their games and they even reward them.

--------------------------------
SINS de deutsche Seite
SINS bz english site
Zweite deutsche Seite
Deutsche Wiki zu SoaSE
Sins Wiki on Wikepedia
January 30, 2008 6:41:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Take that, Starforce
January 30, 2008 7:33:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
hehe...
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000719   Page Render Time: