Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Sins of a Solar Empire v1.03 preview

A sneak peek!

By on March 5, 2008 2:29:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1117

Sins of a Solar Empire is the highest rated new PC game of 2008 as well as the best selling new PC game of 2008 but we're not resting on our laurels. 

Even now, version 1.03 of Sins of a Solar Empire is in internal beta. Stardock and Ironclad are working through the features and testing the new updates based on player feedback.  Once that's done we'll get a demo version out and then move on to 1.04.

Here are some of the new features going into v1.03:

1) Significantly updated computer AI.  The AI is substantially better than in the current game. We're also evaluating whether to put in a difficulty level that gives the AI added bonuses since, in any RTS, a top human player will always be able to out think a computer AI. 

2) LOTS of new game setup options including:

+ Pirates or no pirates in a given game
+ Fleet size
+ Income rate speed
+ Build Speed
+ Ship speed
+ Research Speed
+ Culture Speed

3) The open market for buying and selling of resources has been altered so that there are random fluctuations in pricing and can crash or boom based on player behavior.

4) Imrpoved group phase jumping for large fleets of ships.

5) AI will surrender if situation is hopeless rather than drag the game out.

6) AI players will replace humans in multiplayer if a player drops.

7) Defeated players who are observing can no longer give resources or place bounties (bit of an exploit there).

8) Lots of tweaks to Ironclad Online for messaging users.

9) Improvements to network coding for multiplayer play.

This is by no means a complete list. There's dozens of small changes based on player feedback (we'll give a complete list when we release the update).

Our ETA for this release is late next week or the week after depending on testing.  We want to make sure the AI updates work pretty well (and that means, ahem, lots of play testing!) and lots of network testing.

We also have a pretty large list of things to do for a future 1.04 so if your own personal wishlist isn't fulfilled here, there's always 1.04 to look forward to.

187 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 5, 2008 2:36:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

March 5, 2008 2:42:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
March 5, 2008 2:43:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
It is great to see such adamant support for this game. This is by no means an easy game to develop.
March 5, 2008 2:46:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Happy about the improved AI. Got fingers crossed for defense improvements and an overhaul of diplomacy...don't see them mentioned here, hopefully they're included in "small changes" (although they don't seem like "small changes" to me...).
March 5, 2008 2:48:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
The enhancement list is exciting.

In addition to toggling pirates on/off for a given game, can the raid interval be adjusted (i.e., every x minutes, or for the truly sadistic/masochistic among us, every x to y minutes)?
March 5, 2008 2:48:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Really looking forward to the updated AI.

Have been having a break from Sins recently, waiting for this update in the hopes that the challange is ramped up suitably. Looks like a good decision to wait
March 5, 2008 2:50:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Any news on fixing the crashes with NVIDIA cards? Currently the game is unplayable for many people who bought the game.
March 5, 2008 2:53:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Happy about the improved AI. Got fingers crossed for defense improvements and an overhaul of diplomacy...don't see them mentioned here, hopefully they're included in "small changes" (although they don't seem like "small changes" to me...).

I wouldn't count on defensive structures buffing (anything considerable, anyway). The dev team has been pretty adamant about their purpose, and they're unlikely to change their stance.

As for diplomacy, that really is more of a game content change, so I would imagine 1.04 and up
March 5, 2008 2:53:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Any news on fixing the crashes with NVIDIA cards? Currently the game is unplayable for many people who bought the game.

Nvidia claims to have fixed this internally. It's not a Sins-related issue, but a pretty widespread Nvidia issue, so it has to be fixed on their end. Here's hoping it works and they push the fix out soon.
March 5, 2008 3:04:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
some things that frogboy mentioned in another thread that are a bit more detailed (how they fixed phase jumping) or were not listed in this thread.

-Improved Group Phase Jumping for large groups of ships. If the number of ships exceeds a threshold, the group will only wait for 90% of the value of the ships to be ready. The stragglers will follow shortly after. Typically, its only a couple ships that cause the whole operation to stall so this should eliminate the majority of problems.

-AI will now take over for dropped players.
-You no longer have to kill all a dropped player's planets to win even when the AI takes over for him.

-Overseer's Nanite Reactive Armor ability can now properly stack heals (but not the armor and max HP bonus).
-Kostura Cannon now only disables enemy units and structures at the target planet as originally intended.
-Autocast for many disabling abilities improved.
-Disciple's Transfer Antimatter no longer targets other Disciples when autocasting.
-Transfer Antimatter can no longer target entities with full antimatter.
-Can't attack unbuilt structures anymore.
-You can now change game options when loading save games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
AI:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-AI now knows how to surrender (based on time elapsed, relative economy, relative fleet value, resource reserves, and allied strength). Also, an AI player will not surrender if he has a human ally.
-AI is now smarter about retreating and is willing to commit local suicide or accept local Phyrric victories if the global gain is higher and will also factor in local allied forces.
-Fixed various AI researching and building stall outs for the various trees (military in particular).
-Rewrote AI siege building and attack logic.
-Improved AI use of Black Market.
-Autocast for many disabling abilities improved.
-Wide variety of AI upgrades.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=402&aid=301905

highlighted one that I think will save a lot of time in mp games.
March 5, 2008 3:13:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd say its some other thing or the specific card. I'm currently playing with an 8600GT Nvidia and have had no problems what so ever. I'm also running the 169 drivers but it could just be my card I guess.
March 5, 2008 3:15:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
oh and one more change that wasn't mentioned here, but the other thread.

-Cn now buy and sell resources on the market in large increments again.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=402&aid=301905
March 5, 2008 3:27:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Hope the diplomacy can be changed. This was brought up in a previous post (which i did not realize was the cause of the problems), is that one reason why diplomacy is soo hard to maintain is that the AI constantly sends out scouts and scout frigates. These will come to your empire to scout, but it is early in the game and your defenses and ships will destroy them, canceling out any diplomacy you have gained. Only realistic way of countering this is by getting your reputation up enough to get a cease fire.... A bit hard when defenses are destroying the scouts.

An easy solution would be that destroying scouts will have no negative impacts on diplomacy.
March 5, 2008 3:29:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Good, the improved AI should lead to a great fight that doesn't start the game of tag. And the improved autocast should help out a ton.

I can't wait!
March 5, 2008 3:40:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sounds like an awesome patch coming up. Just got the game today and, while it's a little tricky to get into the swing of things, it's a blast.
March 5, 2008 3:41:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I love to see a less skittish AI, a game of tag is indeed a good way of describing it. Chasing a dozen Purge Vessels in circles is hardly a dignified occupation for my grand armada.

When they say they've added options for "Ship Speed" do they mean build speed or movement speed? I assume build, but I'd honestly love to see some of the frigates slow down a wee bit (not a ton).
March 5, 2008 3:48:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I love to see a less skittish AI, a game of tag is indeed a good way of describing it. Chasing a dozen Purge Vessels in circles is hardly a dignified occupation for my grand armada.When they say they've added options for "Ship Speed" do they mean build speed or movement speed? I assume build, but I'd honestly love to see some of the frigates slow down a wee bit (not a ton).

they mentioned build speed just above ship speed, so its most likely movement speed.

March 5, 2008 4:24:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Sounds great, I especially hope that an overhaul of ICO is in the works, as, with all due respect, it's at best sub-par. Another minor thing I'd like to see something done about, is the mad rush there often is when it comes to buying crystal in the very beginning of the game.
March 5, 2008 4:32:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Innociv was talking about the crystal rush too. I was thinking that "The open market for buying and selling of resources has been altered so that there are random fluctuations in pricing and can crash or boom based on player behavior." thing might help with that.
March 5, 2008 4:35:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I hope they fix the slow down with coloured text bug otherwise ill be most displeased with my purchase , can turn all out unplayable in big battles when the text pops up!
March 5, 2008 4:37:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Our ETA for this release is late next week or the week after depending on testing. We want to make sure the AI updates work pretty well (and that means, ahem, lots of play testing!) and lots of network testing.

Guys, you're the best! Keep up the nice work!
March 5, 2008 4:47:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
I hope they fix the slow down with coloured text bug otherwise ill be most displeased with my purchase , can turn all out unplayable in big battles when the text pops up!

Would anyone explain that to me, I haven't had it happen yet.
March 5, 2008 4:48:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The text bug has been fixed and it really does make a remarkable difference!  I didn't even realize it was happening until the fix went in, then it was wow.

ICO is getting some love with 1.03 but not an overhaul. It's more to improve the chat system (make it more IRC-like and to remove irritating bits) and some slight networking stuff.  The 1.04 update will have more substantial improvements based on feedback.

Diplomacy is much nicer now. It's a lot easier to maintain and build relationships with AI players - and you don't lose all your progress just by blowing up a scout anymore (well, unless you didn't have much progress to start with).

The AI won't retreat all the time in 1.03 - it acts more intelligently in determining its chances. If it thinks it can do real damage to you or win, it'll stay in the fight - definitely an improvement over 1.02.  More AI improvements are coming too.

As for the NVIDIA issues, we're working with NVIDIA to resolve them. Many of the issues we believe are fixed, but they won't appear until their next major driver update. It's been tricky to deal with this because none of us internally (or at NVIDIA) have been able to reproduce the issues people have reported. Luckily all the dxdiags, descriptions, and save games folks have sent in have helped a lot!

March 5, 2008 4:48:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
The AI surrender feature is a great idea. Love the game, looking forward to the patch's new AI.
March 5, 2008 4:52:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Whoo-Hoo!
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001110   Page Render Time: