Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Sins of a Solar Empire updates

What's next

By on November 17, 2010 1:52:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1116

Stardock and Ironclad have been looking at what's next for Sins of a Solar Empire.  One of the big things on our list is to implement a new memory model for the game.  The reason this matters is that right now, it's hard to add more ships or structures into the game because of the infamous 2GB memory limit on 32-bit systems.

So in the coming couple of months, we're going to be working on a new update to Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity that implements this.  After that, we can evaluate new opportunities in the Sins of a Solar Empire universe.

223 Replies +6
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 17, 2010 2:05:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I do believe they heard the masses. Thank You, you have not forgotten us....

November 17, 2010 2:26:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What about  implementing support for dual and quad core procesors?

It would be great too if u add some power to diplo serwer,

November 17, 2010 2:50:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A larger fleet cap would be amazing to have. Especially as the TEC because of their large economic base.

November 17, 2010 4:19:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I second that Bison.

Ackerman, have you checked out some of the mods?  Many do that already.  If you're just looking for something to increase fleet supply without adding anything else, PM me with what version of the game you play and I can whip it up for you sometime in the next few days.

November 17, 2010 4:30:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks Frogboy and the rest of IC/Stardock for letting us know yall are still working on SINS. Simple things like this mean alot.

November 17, 2010 4:49:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the update!   We can come out of the dark now

November 17, 2010 4:59:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow, you guys are still working on Sins? Really? That's just great.

November 17, 2010 5:02:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I almost gave up on my mod.

Please keep us posted.

November 17, 2010 5:04:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting -Ue_Carbon,
Thanks Frogboy and the rest of IC/Stardock for letting us know yall are still working on SINS. Simple things like this mean alot.

QFT. Yay updates!

November 17, 2010 5:16:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

many thanks to BOTH ironclad AND stardock.

harpo

November 17, 2010 5:50:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just happened to come here today - I've purchased just about every 4x space strategy game - that was rated well and none of them come close to sins - yes LAWD!.  Fix the memory issue and then please please speak to the family over at Elemental to get an assist on implementing multi -threading and multi-core.  

But the memory alone - oh man on man - happy birthday to me - guys this IS my favorite game.

November 17, 2010 7:43:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

WOOT!

THIS is why I love this community, the IronClad team, and Stardock. Thank you!!!

November 17, 2010 9:25:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow, and I was thinking we were just getting one last finishing patch. An expanded memory limit was more than I dreamed of.

November 17, 2010 9:38:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sweet! Thanks IC/Stardock!

-Phal

November 17, 2010 9:50:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This bodes very very well...

November 17, 2010 10:05:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

*does a cartwheel, then extends into several back flips and then sticks the ending*

YES! Thank you Stardock and Ironclad.

November 17, 2010 11:00:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know the modding community is going to FLIP! 

I may have to figure out this modding thing myself now.....

November 17, 2010 11:04:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

YES!!! It's alive!

November 17, 2010 11:05:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Frogboy thank you for this awesome update... Almost sharted my pants when I read that.  Although it says Trinity what about those who didnt get the 3 expension and just enjoy up to entrenchment and waiting on your next advancement?

Will we have to buy the Diplomacy?  I would rather not just because I enjoy entrenchment the way it is.

November 17, 2010 11:19:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Voudo,
Frogboy thank you for this awesome update... Almost sharted my pants when I read that.  Although it says Trinity what about those who didnt get the 3 expension and just enjoy up to entrenchment and waiting on your next advancement?

Will we have to buy the Diplomacy?  I would rather not just because I enjoy entrenchment the way it is.

Seems how Trinity incorporates all three and allows the play of individual game.exe, I am sure it will be for Original and Entrenchment as well.

November 18, 2010 7:59:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks alot. This will help us modders (and the community in general) more then anything else and keep this game a classic throughout the years. Thanks for investing the time and money (I know it is a lot of both) to do this. If you open up a donations page I'm sure many of us would give a buck or two!

November 18, 2010 8:15:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting TobiWahn_Kenobi,
If you open up a donations page I'm sure many of us would give a buck or two!

Well, if they add multicore to this, i am ready to donate "9.99$", like for a expension...

The memory update only make me remember of "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for manking."

November 18, 2010 10:00:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

November 18, 2010 10:16:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, if they add multicore to this, i am ready to donate "9.99$", like for a expension...

The memory update only make me remember of "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for manking."

Me too (12 threads make me shiver in anticipation). And it's mankind not manking though I might feel like a king with multicore support and memory update!!

November 18, 2010 10:57:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So happy to see this!!!

Two comments...

Diplomacy pact system is not moddable enough. Please add support for additional custom pact types for add-on races. Maybe enough for 3-4 additional races. I don't think this would require a lot of effort on Ironclad's part and would be very beneficial to modders for Diplomacy.

Agree with the others here, it would be fantastic if you added additional multi-thread/core support, but understand if it's not practical with the current engine.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000485   Page Render Time: