Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

Sins of a Solar Empire®: Rebellion gets its first DLC pack!

By on May 9, 2013 11:08:33 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+593

rebellion-logo_fullThe popular PC space strategy game, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion from Ironclad Games and Stardock Entertainment, will be getting its first downloadable content on June 5th. "Forbidden Worlds" adds new planet types, planet specialization, technologies, planetary bonuses and additional Steam achievements all for $4.99.

The war between the loyalists and the rebels within the TEC, Advent and Vasari continues within the depths of Trader Space. Yet, this sector of the galaxy has far more worlds and history than any of the factions are aware. The need to survive forces each to expand into the unknown, discovering worlds of hazard, wealth, risk, and mystery. Most ominously, the Trader factions have been loathe to expand to these worlds due to the dark myths that surround them.

Feature List:

• Four new planet types to colonize and exploit (Barren, Ferrus, Greenhouse, Oceanic), each created with beautiful high-res textures.
  • New Planet Specialization System: Dedicate your worlds to either social or industrial output. Devoting your planet to social improvements will increase its population and culture, at the cost of trade income and ship production. Choosing an industrial path will limit your growth and culture, but make your planet a trading and ship building powerhouse.
  • 15 new research subjects allow the races to conquer and expand onto the forbidden worlds.
  • Discover 40 new planet bonuses during your exploration of the galaxy, unlocking the dark past of the Sins’ universe.
  • Unlock five new Steam Achievements and display your mastery of forbidden space!

The Forbidden Worlds DLC will be available direct, as well as on Steam, GameStop, GamersGate and GameFly.

Fleet - Favorite 1

Oceanic

ScreenShot_4

ScreenShot_Favorite 3

About Stardock
Stardock is a leading developer and publisher of PC games and desktop software. Its PC games include Sins of a Solar Empire and the critically acclaimed Galactic Civilizations series.  It’s desktop software includes Start8, Fences, WindowBlinds, ModernMix, and more. Visit www.stardock.com.

About Ironclad
Ironclad Games is the creator, owner and developer behind the top selling and critically acclaimed Sins of a Solar Empire series. Learn more by visiting www.ironcladgames.com.

163 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 9, 2013 1:31:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Brilliant stuff. Take my money now!

EDIT: Does 15 new techs mean 15 for every faction or 15 for all of them together, thus 15/6 of new techs per faction?

Do these new planets come with some new alien vessels protecting them? In a mould of classic space monsters from other 4X games? I certainly hope so. 

May 9, 2013 1:32:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, take mine too.

May 9, 2013 1:56:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Awesome! I always wondered where is the Oceanic planet type, seems like an obvious choice..

May 9, 2013 2:15:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Awesome!!!

May 9, 2013 2:20:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A great addition to the game, I always missed more planet textures, types, and discoverable things Very good job! I am preparing my Paypal to be able to purchase it immediately after release

May 9, 2013 2:28:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks! I hope you guys like it.  We actually added more planet bonus types than came with the original game, and quite a few of these new ones add to the background lore. 

May 9, 2013 2:34:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

STOP PLAYING NEW CONTENT - umm sorry got a little overexcited, count me in!

May 9, 2013 2:35:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ShotmanMaslo,

Awesome! I always wondered where is the Oceanic planet type, seems like an obvious choice..

We've had an Oceanic planet since Sins Plus for the original game.  I'd say, maybe, 4 years now.  All they did was make it canon.  The greenhouse looks to be something new, but I have no idea what the others ones are. 

I'm worried that this'll fuck with the mods now. Maybe, they'll be no different than when we had the whole "microexpansions" situation.

May 9, 2013 2:40:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great Job and Amazing Work guys. *Throws wallet at Yarlen* 

May 9, 2013 2:44:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

When will DLC be availble? I dont see it in Steam.

May 9, 2013 2:44:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting XATHOS,
We've had an Oceanic planet since Sins Plus for the original game.  I'd say, maybe, 4 years now.  All they did was make it canon.  The greenhouse looks to be something new, but I have no idea what the others ones are. 

I'm worried that this'll fuck with the mods now. Maybe, they'll be no different than when we had the whole "microexpansions" situation.

Oceanic is a fairly standard planet concept. No mod "owned" the idea. That would be like saying command and conquer first added a tank and that every other game with it just made it canon. Besides, I'm sure their oceanic planet uses totally different textures and balance values.

Quoting Rebell44,
Rebellion will be getting its first downloadable content on June 5th

Read, and you shall have your answers. 

May 9, 2013 2:59:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Really, i love you. Great job for this game, and thank you for your continue support,i'm happy for this.I will buy this dlc when it be avaible on steam. Sorry for my english

May 9, 2013 3:09:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Rebell44,

it say's on top june 5th.

May 9, 2013 3:16:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, June 5th and there's not a pre-order so it won't show up in Steam right now.

May 9, 2013 3:26:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The new planet types I got straight from NASA's theorized planet types, so they're not 'uncommon.'  

May 9, 2013 4:29:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What effect will this DLC have on updates to the game and multiplayer compatibility?  Will we be forced to purchase Forbidden Worlds in order to receive further updates to Rebellion?

May 9, 2013 4:39:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No, we'll be updating both versions as needed.  Multiplayer shouldn't be affected by the DLC, as we've designed it to be compatible with the regular Sins: Rebellion build.

May 9, 2013 5:36:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Isn't this Stardock's first DLC for a game like ever?
Well... I guess DLC replaced Expansion nowadays.

Well I look forward to it.

Another question, what does this do for mod compatibility? Will mods for regular Rebellion work with the DLC without having to convert a ton of things?

May 9, 2013 5:50:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What is a Ferrus planet?

May 9, 2013 5:55:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ShotmanMaslo,
What is a Ferrus planet?

Sounds like iron to me, maybe a planet with a huge iron core? maybe the core almost reaches the surface and can be easily mined? Maybe a type of asteroid, metal-asteroids are common in the solar system, maybe it is a bigger version of the non-silicate orbital bodies...

May 9, 2013 6:30:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

(Throws money) NOW! (veins in neck pop) 

May 9, 2013 6:35:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Heh, cool...only $5 too.

But yeah, does the 15 new techs mean for each faction?

May 9, 2013 6:36:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have several questions>

1. Looking at the screenshots, i see on the planet infocards things like Feudal Society/Polluted Environment/Habitable Caverns...are these the new planet bonuses? Or are these actually in the game right now? To be fair, the only information i was ever looking for on planet infocards are income rate and sometimes allegiance, but thats about it, so i seriously dont know...

2. If it are the new planet bonus things indeed, is there any chance there are already implemented somehow within the current 1.50 patch? I tried the game today only shortly, to see the new textures and i noticed on Dwarf Planet infocard small icon similar to these with a description "Frequent Meteorites" or something along the lines. Thats why i am confused now, whether its actually old or a new thing - i dont recall seeing it before, but as i said, i never really paid too much attention.

3. This described social/industrial output - so the former concerns planet population growth and culture, while the latter trade income and ship production. Does the social one concerns research as well, somehow? Cause it should IMHO. We all know, that culture is not really on par with the other military/economical stuff and maybe i am wrong, but is it not the only point of the population growth increase of your tax income? In other words, it is about the same thing as trade, making money to support your empire/war machine.

What i am trying to say, if both these things concern income rates, they kinda cancel each other, so you have only culture vs production left. And i think nobody in his right mind is going to choose culture. If you however include some research improvements to that social path, it may be actually worth considering over the industrial one.

4. It says "the first DLC". So there is going to be more of them? How many and what are they going to be about? Are these DLCs basically meant to be the same thing as was Entrenchment/Diplomacy for original Sins game, or are they somewhat smaller?

May 9, 2013 6:38:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

Oceanic is a fairly standard planet concept. No mod "owned" the idea. That would be like saying command and conquer first added a tank and that every other game with it just made it canon. Besides, I'm sure their oceanic planet uses totally different textures and balance values.

And where in my comments did I ever say they stole the idea because a mod had it? If I ever used those words, by all means, show me with your bullshit.

You can argue this two ways, and it'll still be correct.

1.  It's a popular, appealing, and easy to come by concept.  Not much thought process is needed to bring it about.  You see it all the time in works of fantasy.  Even if you are hardlined by concepts grounded in pure science: Europa, under the right conditions, could have been a water world (moon).

2.  As the holders of the rights to the game, if they wanted to incorporate (canonize) a concept into the game that was popularized by fan created content, they can.  Other developers, Chucklefish of Starbound fame, have even come out and said they would do the same thing if the content would make player's gameplay experience better.  Nothing new or wrong about it.

Quoting Yarlen,

The new planet types I got straight from NASA's theorized planet types, so they're not 'uncommon.'  

What are the new planet types?  One of the screenshots just had the new volcanic texture from 1.5.  Also, is all the research geared toward the planet spec. and new planet type improvements?  We're not getting any new general research, are we?

May 9, 2013 6:42:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very cool.  Also it was mentioned that people with & without the DLC will be multiplayer compatible.  What exactly does this mean?  Will it be a gameplay setup option that when enabled only allows players with the DLC to enter the room?  Or will the host having it enable it for that game for anyone who joins the room?

I'm also very curious about the new techs.  Are they all directly related to the new planet types & speciialization options?  do all races get essentially the same new techs?  And of course as many have asked, are we talking 15 total new techs or 15 per race?

ANyway, very exciting stuff- can't wait to hear more!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time: