Have anyone read a book by David Webber called "In the Death Gound"? It has some of the best space battles I have ever read. As I was playing the beta I could not help but find similarities: fighers/bombers/corvets/capital ships/ etc. I just wish this game had a smililar michanics for combat as in the book:
- misiles are divided into two categoris: long range and short range
- beam weapons are short range weapons only
- each ship has a special purpouse: carrier, beam, misile, etc.
- formations matter
- fog of war
- fighters can attack at close range only
- fighters need to be re-armed for additional strikes
I am not sure if these ideas are implementable, but it would be quite nice to "play the book". Also if you have not read it AND like military sci-fi (ala starship troopers) I would strongly recomend you give it a shot.