Bigger, Faster And More Awesome
I am pleased to announce a, for me as an artist as well as a mod developer, pretty big breakthrough in the workflow which will hopefully not only result in an increase in the quality of remaining art assets which need to be done for the mod, but also drastically shorten the amount of time required to finish the mod.
As some of you may be aware, modeling organic models can be very time consuming. Maintaining proper edge flows, smoothness as well as detail can be difficult at the best of times; and time considerations can severely cramp your style when working on game models which need to meet certain technical standards (namely polygon counts, properly unwrapped UV maps - which in turn require properly constructed meshes etc.)
Well, I always strive to learn the latest and best techniques to improve my own style. That's the only way to grow. So it happens that I have adopted a radically new workflow for creating organic models which resulted in such speed that I managed to create three brand new models this afternoon - a task that would require a week of my modding time before.
Not only that but the new workflow made it possible for me to step away from traditional polygon modeling and actually sculpt the models, resulting in a much more organic, smooth and evocative forms.
You can see the results of one such attempt here - the top row are the wireframe shots of the initial version of the Praetorian Drone, which I finished last week. The bottom shots are the new model which will be used ingame. The model was done in about 30 minutes, with another half hour spent on cleaning up the mesh.
The new model is 8000 polygons heavy, which for a endgame superweapon is well within limits. Ingame shots coming soon!