(updates are marked with ##)
I agree with the concede option, but this isn't a real fix for rage quitting. Rage quitting is when a player quits in the first part of the game (usually in the first 1-15 minutes), either because he gets killed and can't take it or if he considers that the rest of his team are noobs. Concede option can't help it in this situation, he will either directly quit or he will spam with it. This should be taken really seriously into consideration by GPG: make it in a way so a person can't spam with it, by putting a cooldown timer on it (like 5 or 10 minutes, but not less!).
That being said, concede is really useful for when it's clear for the majority in your team that you can not win (for example when the enemy is in your base or when some player in your team gets killed more than 5 times in a raw at the beginning of the match). If the team agrees to concede, the losing team still gets whatever fav points and exp has got until that point in the game. People who quit at this stage of the game are not rage quitters, imo. You should say GG, bye all and quit. With the concede option, this is more elegant and useful (you still get the fav points, etc).
Rage quitting will never be eradicated in this type of game. But you can alleviate it and i have some suggestions (i'm not taking credit for all of them, this is a list with stuff i gathered from the forum, about this subject):
- Enable rematching. For example, a game is made with 8 players in it. One of them quits. In this situation, the game is 99% lost for the team with the AI replacement. Allow the players to vote for a rematch, a "back to the lobby" option, so you can wait for a human to replace the rage quitter. Rematch is also useful when you want to replay a game with the same people, maybe so you can have your revenge, in case you have lost. This feature was also requested here.
- ##Fix the stats and skirmish connection problems. Then combine the ranking with the disconnect % rate in one single skill lvl. For example the final skill lvl of a player should be something like 60% ranking and 40% diconnect%. Or 50-50. Or 40% for ranking and 60% for disconnect%. I don't know exactly the proportions. The idea is that when every player in the game would have this kind of skill rating, they would be matched accordanly, hopefully rage quitters will end up in a game with other rage quitters with the same rank lvl. In custom games, everyone should see other's skill lvl, before entering the lobby (in a pop-up window or something).
- Friends group join. This would limit rage quitting because you know your team mates and you trust them not to rage quit.
- Do not give gold and exp to the player who killed the AI. Or limit it very much.
- Let players in your team to control the AI player. I don't know if this can be done in DG, but it's an useful option to have.
- Option for kick in-game some player from your team. It should be based on vote and all players should agree on it (not the majority). Useful when someone's AFK or lagging the game or something of this nature. I'm not sold on this option, but i've put it here anyway.
- Allow players to do something useful when they're dead: instead sitting idle watching a greyish screen (which btw, should be lighted a little bit), let players check all the screens, from skill's menu, to shop's menu and citadel upgrades. Just for looking, you still can't buy anything in this state. This option should be also available in the game, when you are not dead, but with a difference: you can't buy anything until you are in the range of the citadel/shop, just like it is now. This could be very helpful for new players (noobs), who don't know yet all the items and prices by hard. They don't have to come back to the shop just to check if they have enough money for an item or citadel upgrade. Or they could plan their upgrades, without visiting the shop.
- Tweak the gameplay, fixing the steep slippery slope. This i think is a little bit more complicated and maybe deserves a separate thread. Some fixes could be:
- Reduce the amount of gold awarded for killing an enemy DG at the beginning of the game and eliminate the demigod assist killing gold reward, or make it much smaller. Combine this with giving the players more gold for creep killing; allow the losing team to farm for gold also, not just for exp.
- Maybe when you upgrade the death penalty in citadel, also reduce the amount of gold the enemy gets by killing you, not only the time spent in the death screen.
- ##Something more radical would be this: give more gold for killing creeps, but don't give any gold for killing enemy DGs, only exp. The penalty for the killed demigod would be a loss in his exp and/or gold. (see Reply #3 on this thread for more info)
These are just some ideas that could fix the slippery slope in this game. They certainly need balancing and i don't know if they could work 100%. What is clear is that something needs to be done. Imo, this game has a more steep slippery slope than even DOTA.
This is all, feel free to comment. I'll also appreciate very much if someone from GPG could post here something.