I did found the SoA 2 mod, and yes i am still in charge of it, but this take priority IMO. My crew can handle the 0.4 series right now. We are well aware of the mesh issues in SoA 2.
I was told that if a program endlessly searches for something that isnt there it will cause a memory leak. I think i found sins memory leak problem then, and it is in the mesh, and particle files. Typos, Miss-naming of null points, and referencing textures that dont exist. The real kicker is that no one saw this until now. I was too busy modding SoA 2 that i didnt bother looking in original sins itself. Not that i would expect a problem like this to exist.
Yea most wouldnt bother to fix these problems, but i went and did it anyway. And removed all of the redundant text entrys.
0.03 will have Re-optimized particles. Mesh, and particle typo corrections. Strike craft, Trade ship, and starbase texture reductions. Trade ships went from 1024 to 512. Strike craft from 512 to 256, and starbases from 4096 to 2048. I could have went lower with the strike craft, and trade ships, but lets try this first and see how it works. 456 i already tried to convert them to 16 bit, it was a failure. For the record the Psi Starbase texture was so big it crashed my computer when i tried to load it in photoshop.
Marza now has planet bombing point coming from its radiation bomb port. No more dev exe error that marza is missing bombing point. Vasari scout capital now has bombing point that is named correctly. Kol has one missnamed hardpoint removed, because it wasnt needed. it was an auto canon placed on the gauss railgun barrel. Sovas nav lights now work. Akkan now has all engine points, and nav lights working. Several models were ether missing, or had their "above, center, aura, and ability". nulls missnamed. This is now corrected. Pirate siege frig now has both of its bomb points correctly named. Psi Siege capital now has all engine points working. Meshes that had issues that are now fixed are gonna be in the release. You can compare them to the original sins meshes to see the errors.
0.03 is done and tested on Max Settings except for bloom enabled. These are my results. Your milage may vary.
Original sins ram usage down to 1.2 gigs and stays there for medium large map 4 AI's
Entrenchment now HOLDS at 1.4 gigs on random medium large map. This is with upgraded defenses, minefields, tons of strike craft, and starbases all over the map.
Diplomacy is a rinse and repeat of Entrenchment. Holds at between 1.4 to 1.5 gigs. As i said your results may vary, but this is a huge improvement. My old sempron machine plays smooth until very late game when there are tons of units on the map, but i think that is more a cpu bottleneck than a ram issue.
Not ONE dev exe error. Except for that annoying "C:\projects\perforce\SinsDiplomacy\main\CodeSource\GS\Entity\Interfaces\IAbility.ccp(1663): assert! (false)" Which happens when you run dev exe with no mods anyway. so that is a Sins problem.
This is the last version i will release that is not in binary format. All of the particles are done. There is no more need to keep things in text. All that is left to do now is to optimize the meshes themselves, and to fix the UI.
Upload should be done in about 3 hours from now
I still have not got to the planet texture fix's yet.