While many of the finer details of the current version aren't applicable to 1.00, there are some truisms you can follow:
1) long range frigates are, and have always been, the safest backbone unit for your fleet (for Vasari, assailants)
2) expand your empire voraciously; bigger empires can support stronger economies and bigger fleets.
3) don't invest too heavily in techs until you've got a big empire. The original RA was a bit of an exception, but even back then if you could afford it in a 1v1 chances are you already were strong enough to win without it. With few exceptions, you have no business above the 5-lab level in a typical 1v1.
4) Jarrasul Evacuator as your first capital ship in 1.00. End of story. With the exception of Advent, most caps prior to 1.18 sucked.
5) Don't forget repair platforms; combined with a big fleet, they're your best defense.