Ok... There are two sides to the newb story (doesn't have much to do with Siddy, lol)
Firstly, I played in enough games to know noobies aren't automatically targeted. It may feel that way, but the reality is the weakest link is targeted first. This could be the pro who ends up sandwiched between two (sometimes three) players or the newer player that can't defend a basic rush at their home world (trust me I've been there both ways).
If I were to break down the major (BASIC) issues newer players have with feeling like they are overrun or not wanted it's the following.
- Not valuing early fleet.
- Not listening to teammates. Watched the replay in this game and while the pro tried to whisper help during the game. He was very patient until it was obvious the light blue wanted to do his own thing whatever that was.
- Not assisting teammates (see below). In addition to the whispers from the pro... I tried to ask for help too but was told he was not in a good military position to build ships
- Researching unnecessary technologies (see below).
- Not understanding basic early counters.
- Not understanding basic early expansion.
- Not being aggressive (i.e. camping)
I personally find the online experience to extremely fun and don't see as much flaming against new players (unless or until they become asses too), especially compared to when I first started. I also don't see people kicked from games often unless they are afk.Most seem to be given a reasonable chance to play and improve.
* Note on screenshots: player name removed because it's not relevant to the discussion.
Screenshot 1: Player is researching upgrades when current ships built is ZERO.
Screenshot 2: Player researched full eco upgrades when only controlling a few planets. The desert was also odd as he had ZERO desert planets. I'm not sure what he thought karmic retribution would do either...
Deliverance engine had zero effect on the game or culture impacts to anyone.
Screenshot 3: Player is question is lower right (blue). He let his teammate dark blue get overrun without building a single frigate (note game clock is 1:09 at this point).
This game ended up as a fun space warefare game, but was pretty much a decided game after it went 5v3 as a result of the pro being double teemed and the newish player working on SIN CITY...