I have finally been able to find time to properly play through this mod. It has come a long way from the earlier versions, especially the cylon tech tree which is so well thought out. I find that it is the smaller editions such as sound effects that really makes you feel that you have entered into the Battlestar Galactica Universe. I have given some thought to the ideologies of the CDF and the Seperatists to try and give each faction a more distinctive game play feel. This is just some brain storming on the matter.
Colonial Defence Force
Their primary role is to protect the colonies and civilian shipping. They will invest much tech and resources into this endeavour. They are skilled diplomats and explorers. They are more conservative with their ship building programs preferring to build cheaper more cost efficient ships such as the Valkryie type Battlestars over the larger heavier Battlestars. I will break down some ideas for tech tree.
1. Picon fleet HQ, static defence base with Command and Control facilities to support defences and friendly fleets within the gravity well. A special structure that can be researched in the defence tech tree and built in the planets tactical slots similar to the resurrection hub. Picon fleet HQ is the heart and home of the CDF. It will be costly to build similar to the Ragnar station and take up 5 tactical slots (limited to one per gravity well). The station will come with hangar support, missiles, main batteries, PDS. The station will not be as heavily armed or armoured as a fully upgraded Ragnar station as it is meant to be part of a defensive grid. The C&C facilities has a passive ability that all friend ships and structures receive a buff to weapon cool down, improved damage and additional armour. A special ability that could be researched in the defence menu is for the Picon HQ to call in additional support ships temporarily to help defend the colony. The CDF does not have access to the Ragnar station, so in that respect they are less flexible than the Seperatists.
2. Realising that the CDF cannot be everywhere at once public opinion fully supports additional expenditure on more static defences to help defend the colonies until the CDF can properly mobilise to counteract any threat. They have learned the lessons from the First Cylon War and will make the Cylons pay dearly for any incursion into their space. In the defence tech tree they can reduce the costs, build times of tactical structures, plus research more tactical slots. Additional vipers can be researched for hangar defences.
3. Send the marines in. Should the Cylons break through the defensive grid marines will dig in (bunkers) and fight to the last man. This can be researched in the defence menu and will increase the durability of planets. This heroic last stand might buy enough time for CDF reinforcements to arrive.
4. The CDF is charged with protecting the civilian shipping of the colonies and they provide heavier escorts. All civilian ships received a health boost and armour upgrade due to the protection of the CDF.
5. The CDF has invested much money in advanced Dradis to help them counteract Cylon incursions more effectively.
6. The CDF is under pressure from colonial government and expenditure committees not spend fast sums on heavy Battlestars when static defences are cheaper. They turn to building the Valkryie type Battlestars as they are cheaper to produce in vast numbers and are more flexible. In a peacetime they are logistically cheaper to run. The CDF gets a price reduction in building Valkryie type Battlestars.
7. The CDF works closely with civilian space exploration programs. They are able to build explorer/scout ships for cheaper.
8. The CDF does not have the xenophobia attitude of the Separatist. They seek cultural understanding with other factions to better improve their own situation. The CDF has an advantage in research when it comes to diplomacy.
Seperatists, (Special Ops/Offensive)
You embrace your colonial warrior heritage and are fully aware that you can't win a war by hiding behind a steel curtain. The battle must be taken to the Cylons at every opportunity and their war manufacturing abilities destroyed. Public opinion supports your aggressive war stance against the Cylons. They donate fast sums of cubits towards the colonial fleet and even sponsor their own planets heavy Battlestars. Your experiences with the Cylons has made you extremely mistrustful of other races.
1. Special Ops conduct missions deep into enemy territory such as 'Operation Talon' to take the Cylons by surprise. When your fleets jumps into enemy territory you receive a damage buff for two minutes, it also improves your fleets moral as you are on the offensive.
2. Ragnar station, rapid deployment can be researched in the defence menu. Forward BSGs rely on the Ragnar station for fleet repair and resupply as they are far from the colonies.
3. The Seperatists invest everything in their fleet. They can research greater supply for more support ships and gain an additional two capital ships late game once researched. Their late tech tree will allow for ships to be produced cheaper and more efficiently for the final push. Civilian shipyards are turned over for military production.
4. Colonial capital ships produce taxes as they are directly sponsored by colonial civilians (pride in the fleet).
5. Access to the heavy raptor (nukes) once researched and the stealth star for Covert Ops. Both crafts should be available to capital ships.
6. Alberta/Cygnus class research marine boarding parties.
7. Ghost fleet, destroyed ships can be salvaged and returned to your capital planet.
8. Your fleet has of some of the best battle group commanders available. They pass on their experience to their fleet. Once researched your fleet will gain experience faster.
9. You have some of the most skilled and audacious viper jocks and raptor pilots. They hone their skills by playing triad games. Additional research could add veteran and ace pilots, all of which will improves the stats of your planes.
Each faction has it's own strengths and weaknesses and can favour individual games styles. I would like to thankyou and your team for all the hardwork that has gone into this mod. It is one of the few mods that never grows old.