Zyzyfer, I'll volunteer some of my advice/observations. But I think people have differing opinions on some of these questions.
1. Engagement range: If you put it on hold position, you are committed/forced to micro constantly. Therefore, only the best do this, and most just leave on gravity well.
2. Focus fire: On frigates, unless your sure you can kill the capital ship before it retreats. Some Cap ships deal AOE damage, and become more leathal with experience, so you may want to force them out. Another judgement call IMO.
3. Yeah, also move the flak, or illums around, and to the sides, since they fire from the sides, and opponent often can only shoot from the front. Chase and position with LFs, rather than always focus firing, since they have a funky way of attacking. Don't chase with all, since the total flys at the speed of the slowest ship... Lots of other advice here prolly.
4. Priority: Always constructor first, or at least with part of your fleet. Then it varies, but generally, I would say repair befor factories. Or maybe military labs to deny HCs, etc.
5. Other: too much to mention. Turn on AutoRecording, and watch replays.