How do I give ownership to militia?
The map is 2v2 and I want to create a buffer between the 2 sides by placing militia colonies between them. Not just militia ships but an active building colony. Double clicking on planets bring up the edit box where I can place different things in them "if owner is militia" but I can't find where to give militia ownership since the planet details only let me give it to the 4 players.
I don't think that can be done since the militia isn't an active player per se. They just sit in their gravity well and wait until someone comes for them to attack as far as I can tell, similar to you putting ships in a gravity well with a gravity well wide auto attack radius and then not doing anything, ever.
It is possible, just not in Galaxy Forge. You need to open the map in notepad after you make it in Galaxy Forge and manually set the owner to "RandomMilitia".
1. Open the group editor on desired planet.
2. Disable the use default template checkbox (unless you want the default ships appearing).
3. Create a new group with all the ships and/or structures (if you want the militia to own this planet) you wish.
4. Set the if Condition to either always and the Spawn for "NoOwner"
5. Now, save the map and go to the folder where it is saved. Right click on the map you made and open it with Notepad.
6. Scroll/search through the file to find the group you made, and change the NoOwner parameter to RandomMilitia.
7. If you added structures, set the colonize chance for that group to 1 as well.
You should only do this after the map is pretty much made, since further edits in Galaxy Forge may erase this change and you'll be forced to do it again.
As for your original issue, I'd think the random planets would be fine (can't test them myself since you can't turn the DLC off). Did you by chance add any planet bonuses unique to the DLC?