Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

{RELEASED} map updateing program v2.0.1

I have written a vb program to convert the pre 1.14 maps to 1.16

By on February 22, 2009 5:52:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

harpo99999

Join Date 02/2008
+397

I am thinking of codeing a quick & dirty vb program that will bruteforce convert all earlier maps to 1.14 & entrenchment beta 3.0.

if other mappers are interested I could make it available for general use

ie the program will search all directories for .galaxy files then read each one in, check if it need converting, if it does then add the new items into the file and write the results out if it does not then go to the next file in the list,

instructions

download the rar which is "solid" with recovery records and a comment

extract the files to any folder

run the exe (written in VB6 so no dotnet runtime load), can also run from a usb stick and has been tested on xp32bit xp64 bit vista 32bit vista 64bit win7 32bit win7 64bit

click on "find galaxies" the program looks in the "appdata\ironclad games\sins of a solar empire" and "program files\Stardock Games\Sins of a Solar Empire" directories & all subdirectories for galaxy files & creates a list in memory of them all

click on "fix galaxies" the program then goes through the list of files it checks if it s an ironclad map if it is it skips it, then it reads the map into memory, then checks the versionnumber if it is the current version it skips the map, then renames the map to *.galold so that the original map is still there & hidden from sins and the map updater, then reads through each line in the map looking for the lines that have changed from the previous version map, when it finds one it replaces the old text with the new text and continues searching and it writes each line out after checking & no change or change is written out to the galaxy file and continues with the next line until the end of file when it closes the galaxy file & checks the next etc.. etc..

there is three other buttons in the program

"exit" exits the program  (doooo!!!!)

"progfiles galaxies" shows you the program files sins directory and allows you browse (LOOK AT) the directories & show all GALAXY files

and the final button

"local apps galaxies"shows you the local applications\ironclad games\sins directory and allows you browse (LOOK AT) the directories & show all GALAXY files

now get out there and enjoy your older maps in the LATEST SIN

by the way it does also convert the map designer maps as well as galaxy forge maps

edit have extended the instructions txt files to convert version 1 maps to version 3 as well the structure txt files are the total change and available here http://www.mediafire.com/file/mrwd0fgmzom/sins map updater update txts.rar

edit I am starting on a new version that will CORRECTLY update version 0, version 1 & version 2 to version 3 maps, ie sins 1.00-1.03,1.04-1.05 and 1.10-1.14 to 1.15+ galaxies.

the latest version is in the mod updater archive which has all of my modding utilities

and the rebel tolerant beta version adds ONE extra button labeled 'rebel' that will lock it into working on the rebellion map updating in the CURRENT rebellion galaxyforge folder under the documents folder and only updating all the galaxy maps found there to the current rebellion only mapversion 4, and if used without clicking on the rebel button it works the same as the version in the mod updater set

HARPO

170 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 20, 2012 6:55:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

jswthrs5, I have completely removed from my water cooled machine (ie steaming) ALL files and registry entries relating to sins,entrenchment,diplomacy AND trinity other than the reference files which are on a separate hdd and only show up in the history of file accesses so should be similar to your situation, BUT I still get both buttons when I should not get either, BUT the map updater does LOOK for the 'targetsinsver.txt' in the same(this might be the file not found error you are getting) folder as it was run from as should be the s & r old & new struct files (roldstruct(0-3).txt, rnewstruct(0-3).txt, soldstruct(0-3).txt, snewstruct(0-3).txt, roldstruct4fix.txt, rnewstruct4fix.txt).

harpo

July 20, 2012 7:50:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

and another little fixing of the map updater, it now checks to see if the folder(s) for the sins/trinity/rebellion exist IN addition to the registry entriesie if BOTH the path AND registry entry exist then the button is enabled, if not then the button is NOT enabled, BUT is visible, so just click on the button you want to update the maps for, then click on the 'find galaxies' button then after if finds the galaxies, then click on the 'fix found galaxies' button, the maps should get updated.

and hopefully it will help all now!

harpo

July 22, 2012 11:11:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It works great harpo. Thank you for such a great tool

July 22, 2012 6:58:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

it would be even MORE help if one of our community that does NOT use a english language windows could let me know if it works for them.

harpo

August 14, 2012 12:07:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It works!

August 14, 2012 5:12:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know it works in xp 32bit and w7 64 bit ultimate on english language windows, BUT if one of the users of the new rebellion version  on a NON-english windows can let me know if it works on their windows it would help, and if they have problems, then posting or emailing me at my hotmail box  with the info.txt that the program creates during the run would be a huge help.

harpo

August 15, 2012 4:54:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Getting the same "Run-time error '9'": Subscript out of range" error as Sanchez was.  Win7, 64bit, Home Premium.  Was there ever a work around?

August 15, 2012 5:23:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

did you download from reply 77?, if yes, could you change the sixth line in the 'targetsinsver.txt' to read 'debug', and run again, then email me(at my harpo99999 at hotmail.com mailbox) the info.txt that will have been created by the run of the program.

if no the please try the version in reply 77, and let me know if it works

harpo

August 30, 2012 11:53:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Harpo, you really need to clean up the main post or start a new thread, because the main post is all over the place.

in regards to me specifically,

I'm getting a prompt window when i start the rebel mapupdater, it lists the found sins version as null, and "in the default location of \"

local apps is: C:\Users\UserName\AppData Locak:

and the sins user directory is: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire\

i click the OK button and nothing happens.

So I need to put it in the ACTUAL game directory or what? Or is it broken from the 1.04 patch?

August 31, 2012 2:37:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

agentexeider, the map updater v2.01 DOES NOT support rebellion, BUT the beta map updater in reply 77 is the latest version and I have use it (on an english language windows) to update maps to rebellion, if you are wanting to use it on a non-english language windows, please use the 'debug' on line six in the targetsinsver.txt and also edit the fifth line to read 1.0.4

harpo

September 8, 2012 11:21:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting harpo99999,
agentexeider, the map updater v2.01 DOES NOT support rebellion, BUT the beta map updater in reply 77 is the latest version and I have use it (on an english language windows) to update maps to rebellion, if you are wanting to use it on a non-english language windows, please use the 'debug' on line six in the targetsinsver.txt and also edit the fifth line to read 1.0.4

harpo

That's where I got the map updater from, was reply number 77. Thats the error that I am getting.

EDIT: did the change on fifth line to 1.0.4, still nothing. and what are you asking me to do when you say 'use the debug on line six'?

September 9, 2012 2:41:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

what I mean with the debug on line 6 is change the line6 to read 'debug' (this swiitches on the debug report generation and adds 'DeBuGgInG M O D E' to the title line of the program window).

I also found a bug regarding the deug capacity of the rebel map updater, and have fixed the issue, please re-download

then run the beta map updater and email me the resulting info.txt file to my hotmail box (harpo99999 at hotmail.com)

hopefully this will give me the clue to solving this occasional issue

harpo

October 12, 2012 10:47:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey harpo99999

For some reason the map updater is not detecting Rebellion....the 'REBEL' button is grayed out when I try to run the program....and I have downloaded the latest version of your program (reply #77 I believe).  Any thoughts?  What do I need to do to help you out?

Thanks

October 13, 2012 6:24:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

off the top of my head, no idea why, but if you would edit your 'targetsinsver.txt to read

debug
debug
debug

then run the map updater again and then email me the info.txt from after the run, I might be able to find and fix the cause (btw the info.txt will be a txt file that can be read in notepad or ANY other text file viewer/editor and will show the windows login name and other details about the computer, but not the base language install, (just had a idea, as rebellion is steam only I assumed that the steam path would be standard on most if not all installations, if you have a custom steam install location this might be the cause)

the email to send the info.txt is my hotmail ie harpo99999 at hotmail . com

harpo

October 13, 2012 9:55:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok I will e-mail it to you.....and ya I did put Steam on my second hard drive, so maybe that is it...

December 12, 2012 2:25:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm trying to run the Reply #77 download on a win7 x64 Pro system with a custom install location of Steam on d:\Steam

Find galaxies -> Fix galaxies gives me 'runtime error 9: Subscript Out of range'

Tried symlinking d:\steam to c:\program files\steam and get the same error message, but if I symlink d:\steam to c:\program files (x86)\steam the error changes to:

Find galaxies -> Fix galaxies gives me 'runtime error 13: Type mismatch'

on program launch.

Any ideas? Keen to get this 399 planet star wars map running on rebellion

EDIT: Oh and I don't have trinity installed if that matters

Cheers

Spyder

December 12, 2012 3:34:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

jarrod2, it could be the steam on a different drive as the cause, but there is a trick I built in to the map updater to create a debugging report, to enable the debugging mode change the seventh line of the 'targetsinsver.txt' to read 'debug'(the case does not matter but the entire line MUST be debug) and run it again, then you can read through the info.txt that will have been created, and another thought is to email the map & info.txt to my email of harpo99999 (at) hotmail.com.

regarding the lack of trinity, I have  a somewhat similar system BUT with steam on the c which I use as my rebellion testing/main gameing machine

harpo

December 26, 2012 7:12:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hello, I get an error when launching the application provided in your reply 77:

Run-time error '13':

Type mismatch

I have Rebellion 1.1.4480 with Steam and my GalaxyForge folder is

C:\Users\{username}\Documents\My Games\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion\GalaxyForge

December 26, 2012 4:25:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SwiftBlizz,
Hello, I get an error when launching the application provided in your reply 77:

Run-time error '13':

Type mismatch

I have Rebellion 1.1.4480 with Steam and my GalaxyForge folder is

C:\Users\{username}\Documents\My Games\Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion\GalaxyForge

in the targetsinsver.txt file could you please change line 7 to read 'debug' without the quotes, and run it again, and email the resulting info.txt to my hotmail address(harpo99999 at hotmail.com) the resulting info.txt(this will switch the program to debug mode and give me a lot better idea where the issue is coming from

and just a note it does NEED all the r*.txt & s*.txt files in the same folder as the exe to be able to do the map updating,

and an additional note the fifth line now NEEDS to read '1.1.0.0' without the quotes otherwise youwill get an error message that it could not find the correct sins version

harpo

December 29, 2012 2:34:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi Harpo

Just recently bought rebellion from steam and am trying to get some old maps I used to play to work with rebellion.

Downloaded the archive from reply 77 run the updater but when I hit find galaxies button I get:

Run-time error '76':

Path not found

anything i could try?

December 29, 2012 3:36:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

gizzass, a couple of questions,

1 is  trinity/vanilla/entrenchment/diplomacy installed on the computer as well?

2 is steam installed on the boot drive?

3 which windows & is it 32 or 64 bit?

4 have you started rebellion since the update?

with these answers I might be able to figure out what is happening

harpo

December 31, 2012 7:17:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I presume you got my email, do I miss anything required to run your application?

January 1, 2013 3:51:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SwiftBlizz,
I presume you got my email, do I miss anything required to run your application?

no email has arrived in my hotmail

harpo

January 1, 2013 8:58:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok, weird. I have now resent the file to your email.

Either way, it is not very much text in it.. could always just post it here if the email fails again.

January 2, 2013 5:09:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

swiftblizz, I still have not received any non-regular emails in ANY o my email accounts, were you sending to my hotmail (harpo99999 at hotmail.com) or some other address?

harpo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001016   Page Render Time: