Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

[Mod Utility] Sins Data Converter v2.1 Beta w/Rebellion support (comprehensive feature set)

By on March 9, 2010 6:13:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

BCXtreme

Join Date 04/2007
+16

I've been doing a lot of novice modding on this game for a while now, and I finally got fed up with using the ConvertData command line tool. After checking around on these forums, I found the GUI created by Harpo99999. Despite the fact that it's very good at what it does, I was unable to make good use of it because it only works for in-place conversions, and also because you can only do batch-style conversions of whole folders. So I decided to make my own alternative that is more suited to my mod development habits, and I figured it would be nice to share it with the community.

And so I would like to present the SINS DATA CONVERTER. The SDC can convert Entity, Mesh, Particle, and/or Brushes files back and forth between TXT and binary. Rather than supporting specific versions of SoaSE, it will work with whatever version is installed on your computer. If you have Entrenchment and/or Diplomacy, it will support whatever versions of those you have installed as well. If you don't have SoaSE installed at all, you can pick a custom ConvertData.exe (say, copied from your SoaSE installation at home) and have the program use that instead. The program can convert a single file, or it can convert an entire folder, or it can convert an entire folder plus its subfolders. It can either overwrite the original files with the converted ones (in-place conversion), or the converted files can be placed in another folder, leaving the original files unaltered. And it does it, in my opinion, with a cool interface...

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• Intel CPU (v1.3 only)
  • Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (32-bit/64-bit)
  • .NET Framework 3.0 (included on Vista/7, available for XP and 8)

KNOWN BUGS/LIMITATIONS

• If doing an in-place conversion, files will be damaged if the user selects the wrong game (vanilla vs. Entrench vs. Diplo)

NEW IN v2.1 UPDATE

• [Feature] Support for Rebellion
  • [Feature] Support for Windows 8
  • [Bugfix] Fixed ReferenceData Creator

NEW IN v2.0.1 UPDATE

• [Feature] Diagnostic logging

NEW IN v2.0 UPDATE

• [Feature] "Advanced Mode" GUI with Conversion Queue
  • [Feature] ReferenceData Creator
  • [Feature] Mod Folder Relocator
  • [Feature] Entity Manifest Creator
  • [Feature] New game verification system with custom game path support
  • [Bugfix] Program no longer stops responding during conversions
  • [Bugfix] Support added for AMD64 CPUs

NEW IN v1.3 UPDATE

• [Feature] Support for Rebellion
  • [Feature] Support for Windows 8

NEW IN v1.2 UPDATE

• [Feature] In-place conversion can now be automated by clicking a button to automatically set the output folder
  • [Feature] Files and folders can now be dragged-and-dropped onto the buttons in the program for faster source and output selection
  • [Feature] Program will now remember source, output, and custom EXE settings until it is closed
  • [Feature] You can now select subfolders to ignore when including subfolders in a conversion
  • [Feature] You can now paste folder paths into the program
  • [Bugfix] Failsafe added to ensure the user remembers to select their version of Sins before attempting to convert
  • [Bugfix] "Custom Version Selected" label re-aligned for better symmetry
  • [Bugfix] Subfolder structure of the source directory will now be properly carried over to the output directory

NEW IN v1.1 UPDATE

• [Bugfix] Program now works on 32-bit Windows systems, including XP
  • [Bugfix] Program now works with SoaSE: Trinity
  • [Feature] SoaSE no longer has to be installed, because the user now has the option to pick a custom ConvertData.exe

This program is NOT being released and then dropped. As long as there are people downloading who want me to fix bugs and add features, I will continue to maintain the program to the best of my ability. So here are the links you'll need:

Sins Data Converter Homepage
Sins Data Converter Support Page (please make your bug reports at this link)
Download Sins Data Converter v2.1 Beta
Download Sins Data Converter v1.3 (stable version, Intel processors only)
Download Mirror for v1.2 at Weebly.com (Provided by myfist0)

I hope the community can put this utility to good use. Comments and suggestions are welcome in this topic. Also please report any additional bugs you find at the support page mentioned above.  And finally, please leave feedback here if you find this program useful, so I know there is support for continued development.

107 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 15, 2010 5:16:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I still get the "Sins is not properly installed  on this computer" message with Win Xp 32bit

When I picked a custom convertdata.exe and started the conversion then I got "Conversion complete" message yet nothing happened and no files got converted.

March 15, 2010 7:56:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The tool works great and gets the job done with no problems whatsoever, but I do have a couple gripes:

It doesn't remember the folder directory, this goes for input and output though it'll remember the directory for a single file. It's pretty tedious having to direct the output every single time I need to convert something.

Also, the ability to paste directories into the text box would be incredibly helpful too. Chances are that I'm going to be sitting in the directory I'm currently editing files from already, so being able to copy the directory from explorer and paste it into the converter would make things much quicker.

March 15, 2010 1:18:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks mbaron888 and Carbon016!

Quoting Xwhyzed,
I still get the "Sins is not properly installed  on this computer" message with Win Xp 32bit

When I picked a custom convertdata.exe and started the conversion then I got "Conversion complete" message yet nothing happened and no files got converted.

First of all, you MUST specify a custom ConvertData.exe if the computer you are on does not have Sins installed.  Sorry if this wasn't clear.  If you do have Sins installed properly through Impulse or from disc (NOT copy/pasted), let me know and I will look into it further.

The second problem you are encountering is not a problem with the utility.  I noticed this when I was testing the program: some ConvertData.exe's don't seem to work on XP, not even if you run them normally through the Command Prompt.  I don't know why that is.  May I ask where you got the custom exe from?

Quoting Emarrel,
The tool works great and gets the job done with no problems whatsoever, but I do have a couple gripes:

It doesn't remember the folder directory, this goes for input and output though it'll remember the directory for a single file. It's pretty tedious having to direct the output every single time I need to convert something.

Also, the ability to paste directories into the text box would be incredibly helpful too. Chances are that I'm going to be sitting in the directory I'm currently editing files from already, so being able to copy the directory from explorer and paste it into the converter would make things much quicker.

The next update is going to address those issues, so please check back!

March 17, 2010 3:25:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've been using this regularly now and have yet to have an issue.  Works perfectly and very easy to use.  I like I can drag the files out as copies and play with them to my heart's content without breaking my game.  Very good tool.

March 18, 2010 5:42:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SIN-Imperium,
I've been using this regularly now and have yet to have an issue.  Works perfectly and very easy to use.  I like I can drag the files out as copies and play with them to my heart's content without breaking my game.  Very good tool.

Thank you for your continued support.  I am hoping this weekend to be able to post a list of upcoming features in v1.2 for everyone to look at, so anyone that's interested should keep checking back!

March 22, 2010 6:33:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sorry, I got caught up over the weekend and didn't have time to post this, but I'll put it up now.  I may have mentioned one or two of these upcoming features before, but there are a few that I haven't.  The list is subject to change because these things are still in development.

• Button to automate in-place conversions (set source as output)
  • Proper handling of subfolders for not-in-place conversions
  • Multiple different SoaSE background images to choose from
  • Remembering source and output selections over a single session
  • Option to ignore one or more given subfolders specifically (subfolder exclusion list)
  • Drag-and-drop for both folders and files onto the source and output fields
  • Remembering a custom ConvertData.exe across sessions if one is set
  • Failsafe to ensure that the user remembers to pick the correct version of Sins
  • Pasting of file and folder names into the source and output fields

Yeah, this will be a big update.  But hopefully it will greatly improve the usability and functionality of the program.  I will be releasing it as soon as the above features are complete and properly tested.  If anyone has additional suggestions, please feel free to offer them, as I want this program to be as tailored to the needs of this community as possible.

March 23, 2010 8:15:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sounds good.

April 1, 2010 9:08:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Version 1.2 is still under construction, I just haven't had a lot of time to work on it lately.  Which may turn out to be a good thing for you, because...

This update is going to require me to make some changes to the interface.  Nothing that's already there should be changed much, but some stuff needs to be added in an intuitive way.  Hopefully I can get some work done over the next few days.  I want to be able to post pictures of the interface additions so that I can get community input on the "intuitiveness."  Hopefully I will be able to do so this weekend, so keep an eye out...

April 2, 2010 7:57:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fantastic, thank you. 

Edit: Akk!  Ran perfect first two times... now getting a persistent error where I hit "convert" and windows says it's stopped working; error window reappers infinitely when I click to close it; must restart computer.  Hmmm... trying to find what I'm doing funny.

April 3, 2010 12:35:08 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looking forward to seeing improvements.

April 5, 2010 9:47:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting tymestar,
Fantastic, thank you. 

Edit: Akk!  Ran perfect first two times... now getting a persistent error where I hit "convert" and windows says it's stopped working; error window reappers infinitely when I click to close it; must restart computer.  Hmmm... trying to find what I'm doing funny.

I can confirm that the program works indefinitely, because I did not write any code that would cause it to behave differently for no reason.  One thing you should be aware of is that converting some large files to BIN format takes a long time, and the program unfortunately appears to not respond during the process.  If you come across the problem again, check to see if ConvertData.exe is listed under Processes in Task Manager before you close the error window.

Now, I've done some work with the interface for v1.2, and here's what I've come up with first.  A new "Themes" button will be added to let you change the background.  When you click it, the original window will expand to show you the theme choices, and clicking a theme would return the window to its original size again.

How would this be?

April 17, 2010 4:50:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I was finally able to implement subfolder support for not-in-place conversions, so v1.2 is that much closer to release.  Could still use feedback on the new interface idea above.

April 17, 2010 6:17:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They go away when you pick one right?

August 3, 2010 2:43:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ack, I've been away longer than I thought...

Yes, the theme pictures go away once you pick one.  Unfortunately, the themes feature's not going to make it into v1.2, because I'm having the worst time trying to make it work.  In fact the reason it's been so long since I was last here is because I put the project on hold when I started losing sanity over the themes feature.

The good news:  the other things I announced for v1.2 have FINALLY all been completed.  I have one or two bugs to iron out, and then I'll be ready to release, hopefully very soon.

August 3, 2010 3:08:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looks very easy to use and the themes are only eye candy anyway.

Let me know when its ready, if its under 10mb I will mirror it for you with a direct link on the  http://soase.weebly.com/modding-tools.html.

August 3, 2010 4:57:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
Looks very easy to use and the themes are only eye candy anyway.

Let me know when its ready, if its under 10mb I will mirror it for you with a direct link on the  http://soase.weebly.com/modding-tools.html.

Yeah, the themes are just for eye candy.  I'd still like to implement them eventually, but I'm more concerned about getting the functionality improvements out the door.

I would certainly appreciate the mirror, especially since I may be doing a lot of work on my own server in the coming weeks/months and don't want to accidentally prevent people from downloading this!

August 17, 2010 3:49:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm just about ready for release here, but I'm having one small problem.  I need someone running Windows XP to test the upcoming version and make sure it's running OK.  Any volunteers?

August 17, 2010 4:14:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

my room mate uses XP  , I guess I can peddle while I run that old beast 

August 17, 2010 5:20:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

if you want me to help, I can as I have several xp boxes with sins as well as win7 64bit on a couple of others.

harpo

August 17, 2010 6:26:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

OK, so here's the story.  I have an XP virtual machine that I use for testing programs.  It's insisting that there's a critical error (instant program crash on load) in my latest build.  The program runs flawlessly on the Vista and Win 7 machines that I have tested it on.  Apparently there is a significant chance that the problem lies in the virtual machine, not the program, so I need people with XP on a real, physical computer to try running it and see if it will even start up.

Bear in mind that the system needs to have .NET Framework 3.0 installed.  harpo, I will send you the link to a beta download as soon as I can get it set up.

myfist0, does that mean you can/will help or not?

August 18, 2010 10:40:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

OK, thanks to harpo, I've been able to deduce that there is no error when trying to run my program on XP.  There's obviously something wrong with my test machine, but I'll get that sorted later.

As far as I can see, v1.2 is done.  The only reason I'm NOT putting the download up right now is as follows:

I plan to switch my hosting provider this weekend; during the transition as I get the nameservers adjusted, my server will be down.  Obviously, I don't want such downtime to interfere with the release of this program, so I will be waiting until AFTER the switch is complete.  I plan to start Saturday morning or maybe even Friday night, so depending on how long it all takes, the tool could be out as early as Saturday afternoon, but also might not be until Sunday or Monday.

So, Sins Data Converter v1.2 coming this weekend!  I will put up a full list of changes when the time comes, but the two biggest new features are drag-and-drop, and full subfolder support.

August 19, 2010 12:34:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ya I can help, sry I missed the question b4. I can still mirror if you want.

August 19, 2010 10:27:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting myfist0,
Ya I can help, sry I missed the question b4. I can still mirror if you want.

No problem, and I would still appreciate that mirror!  My new hosting will have a bandwidth limit of 15GB/month, and even though people downloading a 2MB program will never even get close to that limit, it would still be nice to have a backup in case of downtime or server work.

August 21, 2010 12:20:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

*drum roll*

Sins Data Converter v1.2 is now available for download!  Original post has been updated with a full changelog, and the new link.

August 24, 2010 2:47:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can provide a mirror on the DoV site, if you're interested, we have plenty of bandwidth to go around. Either way, thanks for keeping this updated, having a no-BS converter app that does exactly what it says with no fuss has made my life a lot easier.

edit: Heh, just got an "Invalid allocation size: 4294967295 bytes" error, maybe I should do a folder at a time

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001094   Page Render Time: