Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2014 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2014 Stardock Entertainment

[MOD] The Sins Optimization Project version 0.08 (updated 9/5/11)

The Sins 2 gig crash issue has now been DEFEATED!

By on March 15, 2010 8:56:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Major Stress

Join Date 05/2006
+154

It is difficult to explain the issues Sins have without going into too much "tech" which some will not understand. The problem is that Sins is a 32 bit game. With a two gigabyte memory limit. This is nothing new. Since all 32 bit games have a 2 gig memory limit. However Sins is NOT like other 32 bit games. Most games load their assets "on the fly", or only as needed. Some games unload what is not needed. Sins on the other hand loads almost ALL of its assets at game startup. These assets remain loaded throughout the entire game. The size of the map, and the amount of players, or AI's also determine how much ram will be used.

In 2006 when Sins was first conceived 2 gigs was considered to be "plenty" of memory. So most game developers didn't have to worry about hitting that dreaded 2 gig brick wall. As time went on Computers, and Sins itself evolved into their present state which is Diplomacy, and dual/quad core 64 bit systems. Things have changed over the years. Much more content was added to Sins with the two expansions. Most people now use 64 bit systems, and have much more than 2 gigs of ram. However Sins still remains a 32 bit game. With a two gigabyte hard coded memory limit. Sins WILL CRASH when the game reaches that 2 gig limit.

There is some misunderstanding about the 2 gig crash issue. The dump happens when Sins reaches 2 gigs of Ram Usage. That means the ram Sins itself uses. NOT what your entire operating system, and/or other programs you are running combined uses. Only the ram that Sins uses. No matter how powerful your system is. If it is 32, or 64 bit, or if it is Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7. Sins WILL CRASH when it hits its 2 gig ram limit. It is hard coded into the game.

Nobody was aware that this would be a major problem back when the game was first designed, because Sins was designed based on the hardware standards of 2006-2007. Before 64 bit OS's, Quad Core cpu's, and 4+ gig ram systems became the standard that they are now. There is nothing that can be done about it. Except to re-write Sins in 64 bit. Which is out of the question, because it is too cost prohibitive for the developers. Sins is a great game, and it is a shame that this is happening. Entrenchment, and Diplomacy unintentionally pushed Sins over its own limitations with all of the new added content.

The Sins developers can not do anything to change the game at this time. However there is something that WE can do as modders to prevent Sins from hitting that dreaded 2 gig brick wall. I have taken the initiative, and applied to Sins what i have learned from my Homeworld Modding days. I present to you....

aka the "Taste Great, Less Filling" mod.

The goal of this project is to improve your Vanilla Sins game experience, and to eliminate the 2 gig crash issue. No changes will be made to Vanilla Sins gameplay at all. No stat changes will be made. Nothing will be added. There are other mods for that. We are optimizing what assets Sins already has to improve performance, and stability in game. The side benefit will be that some lower end systems can enjoy almost the same experience as the high end users.

The project initially started out as an idea to reduce the texture sizes, and poly counts of some models. Not just arbitrary reductions. The goal was to maintain the quality of Sins in game. To look like nothing has been changed at all. 

As of version 0.07 there are no longer any modded planet, and skybox meshes. Unfortunately the problems caused by the unfixable mesh errors from the poly reductions were not worth what little memory was gained from those optimizations. As i said the goal was to make it look like nothing has been changed at all.

Just with a few optimizations alone the games performance had a noticeable improvement. Though not much ram was saved.

I studied the Particle files, and textures. Many of the particle textures IMO were also way to high resolution. A reduction by 1/2 showed no visible difference in game in most cases.  There were some exceptions where it did effect the appearence in game, and those textures were left alone. Remember the goal was not to reduce in game quality. Also all of the particle textures were changed from TGA format to DDS format, because DDS uses far less memory, and is much more efficient. The particles also utilize the mip mapping features of DDS. Therefore enhancing in game video performance. As of version 0.07 no TGA format textures load in TSOP. With the exceptions of Mouse Cursors, and Scenario Pictures. This is due to those textures being controlled by the hard coded exe.

The developers mentioned something about a Memory Leak. I heard that a leak can be caused by a file calling for something over, and over again if it is not there. Example a mesh file calling for a texture that does not exist. Vanilla Sins has MANY particle, and mesh files that do that. I removed all of the redundant entries that pointed to non existent textures in the mesh, and particle files. I also removed the entries that have lines like "C;\gs\main\datasource\textures\effects\aura4.dds", and just put "aura4.dds". This will default the search to the mods texture folder, and speed things up. Also various typo's were corrected in some mesh, and particle files. Some ships have mesh nulls that were miss-spelled. For example the Akkan had typos on its engine nulls, and flairs. The engine trail, and flair didnt show up in game. the Marza was missing its bomb nulls. All of this has been corrected as well. If there is a ship mesh file in the mod then it had something wrong that was fixed. Regardless if this caused a memory leak, or not these errors had to be fixed.

After the Meshes, Particles, Textures, and the User Interface were optimized, and some very obvious bugs were fixed there was a tremendous boost in game performance. Sins ram usage was greatly reduced. As of version 0.07 no game i ran ever went above 1.5 gigs on Diplomacy with maximum settings. Including Bloom enabled. Tested on Huge random multi star maps with 9 AI's. The 2 gig crash problem is solved. Our primary goal with this project has been achieved! Without having to use some risky "EXE hack"!

Now TSOP is focusing on other ways to optimize the game to reduce late game lag as much as possible.  Also we are searching for more bugs as part of the Community Bug Fix effort.... It's a "Bug Hunt" now

NOTE: As of the latest Diplomacy series of patches v1.2+. Diplomacy no longer needs TSOP. Much of TSOP was incorporated into the 1.2-1.3+ series of patches. So the Diplomacy version of TSOP will no longer be linked here since it is now deemed obsolete.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Our Website

http://soase.weebly.com/tsop.html

Some sections are still under construction

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Downloads

The Sins Optimization Project v0.08

The User Interface is completely overhauled to use pure DDS format.

Trade Ships,  Strike Craft, Mines, and Constructor Unit meshes are Optimized.

Sounds, and Music are optimized.

All TGA format Textures are replaced with DDS format, and TSOP "force" loads them. The only TGA textures that remain are the Mouse Cursers, and Scenario Pictures. This is due to hard code in the EXE.

As part of the Community Bug Fix Effort, Many Mesh Null miss-labels were corrected, and Unnecessary Text Entry's were removed in both the Mesh, and Particle files. Entry's pointing to Non Existent Textures in both the mesh, and particle files removed. See the various "Fixed Files" texts in the mods Read Me for details.

The Diplomacy 1.2 graphic fix's have been incorporated into the Entrenchment, and the Original Sins versions of TSOP (Pipeline Effects, "White Line" error fix, and Corrected Mesh files).

As of TSOP 0.08 ALL textures have been reverted back to original Vanilla Sins Resolutions, but are all in DDS format. The Mip Mapping feature of DDS format "should" reduce any early game lag. Late game lag is still a problem, and is a CPU issue from too many units on the map in late game. Not a graphics issue. Graphic optimizations can not fix this.

As of the Diplomacy 1.2 patch, The issues that compelled us to create TSOP are now fixed! TSOP for Diplomacy is no longer required, and is now deemed "obsolete"! Many of the TSOP fix's, and improvements have been incorporated by Ironclad into the Diplomacy 1.2+ series of patches! We will no longer work on a Diplomacy version of TSOP. However, If we find something "game breaking" wrong with the new series of patches. Then we shall reconsider.

The Planets, Skybox's, Asteroids, Structures, Map objects, and various Other Ways to reduce the Late Game Lag issue will be looked into for any future updates.

Community input, and contributions are more than welcome, and they are encouraged! This is a Community Project! All can pitch in!

You do not need to download all versions of TSOP. You only need to download the version of TSOP for which version of Sins you wish to play. The Retail version of Trinity is just all three versions of Sins bundled into one package. Installation for Trinity versions of Sins are no different than if you purchased each version of Sins separately.

TSOP 0.08 For Original Sins v1.191

TSOP 0.08 For Entrenchment v1.051

TSOP For Diplomacy is no longer required. Since the Diplomacy 1.2 patch TSOP for Diplomacy is now obsolete.

Since TSOP Diplomacy is now obsolete. We will not host a "trinity" version.

However, when Rebellion is released we will look into what is needed (if anything at all), and perhaps make a combined version of TSOP in the future.

Add-On's, and Patches

TSOP Optional Lower Texture Resolution Add On

Optional Add On for those with VERY LOW END SYSTEMS. This Add-On "replaces" the full resolution TSOP 0.08 textures with the "strategically reduced resolution" textures from TSOP 0.07. Use this add-on ONLY if you suffer extreme graphic lag in the early game. If you still lag badly with this add on, chances are your system can not handle Sins. Use at your own risk.

Our Downloads page with optional Add-On's for TSOP

Read the Read Me's, and associated documentation for each version of TSOP, and add-on for important installation, and removal instructions. Plus other important information.

Sorry for the separate downloads. Together the project is over 600 megs with the sound, and music files, and most file host wont let you upload that much.  If your download is corrupt try downloading another version. The Mesh, Particles, Textures, Sounds, and Music files are all interchangeable between each version. Replace any corrupt files with another versions files.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This project is far from a perfect solution, and it is still rough around the edges. It is improving as time passes.

Other mods are more than welcome to use TSOP. No questions asked! In fact we encourage it! Learn from it! Use it as guide, and an example! Merge it into your projects!

TSOP is intended to be a Stand Alone mod. Run with no other mods enabled. There are issues enabling TSOP with other mods. Enabling with other "Graphic Enhancement" mods is NOT recommended, because the graphic enhancement mod will defeat the entire purpose of TSOP. All of our optimized files will be overridden by that enhancement mods "enhanced" files. Increasing your ram usage instead of decreasing it. Some enhancement mods like Distant Stars are incorporating elements of TSOP into their future updates.

Read the included READ ME text's for installation instructions.

1102 Replies +10
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 15, 2010 9:40:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Awesome! I highly suspect this will be making its way into a lot of mods (including mine). Thank you!

March 15, 2010 9:50:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You said to report any bad files? i got an error while unzipping on the PlanetVolcanic02-da.dds file. I think the process stopped at that error, so i'll see if there are any more.

EDIT: just noticed there were separate folders for the different versions. It was in the "E" folder, and it did indeed stop the process so im not sure about the rest of E or any in the OS folder.

March 15, 2010 9:52:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I tested the archive thrice over before i uploaded it, So it has to be filefront... it figures. Ill try to upload a mirror using another host.

All of the planet, and skybox meshes, and textures between the 3 versions are identical. If you get corruption from the download try redownloading the file first. If that fails then try to at least extract the GameInfo folders, and manifest's. The meshes, and textures are interchangeable between the versions. Try to swap out from one of the good folders.

Edit: Mirror link is up. Hopefully this one doesnt wind up being corrupt as well.

March 16, 2010 6:48:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Do this work with Distant Stars? oO

March 16, 2010 6:49:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

stress, you deserve a promotion to DE from Major for this mod, and the mirror did not corrupt for me , but the filefront one ONLY has one error on the planetvolcanic02-da.dds in the e folder, from testing with winrar. personally when I create the rars for uploading I always use the solid and recovery reord options, and they seem to help.

thank you for this mod.

harpo

March 16, 2010 10:17:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh i aint done yet. I found a bunch of stuff that can use the major's "nerf bat" just in the textures alone. Once i am done ill upload an update. So far i got Original Sins 1.19 down from 1.25 gigs at startup to 995 megs. Most of this because of a simple switch from TGA format to DDS. Then some strategic reductions of particles. So far i found no need to use a 256 res particle texture when 128 gives the exact same result in gmae (no difference visually) using half the memory.

Can someone tell me if the meshes themselves use more memory or cpu to run? Obviously less polys is better, but Sins has been known to run higher poly meshes smoothly on lower end machines. Holding off on any more poly reductions till that one question is answered.

The ship textures themselves are as optimized as they are getting. The only thing that can be done with some is size reductions. Especially on ships like trade ships and builder units. where there are hundreds on the map at any given time.

March 16, 2010 10:30:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just made a post regarding a map asking about these things.  Awesome.  I have yet to run a mod--this will be my first.  Perfect idea.  You are a genius...and excellent presentation here.  Please keep us posted as to what you find and do.

March 16, 2010 12:10:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
Can someone tell me if the meshes themselves use more memory or cpu to run? Obviously less polys is better, but Sins has been known to run higher poly meshes smoothly on lower end machines. Holding off on any more poly reductions till that one question is answered.

The ship textures themselves are as optimized as they are getting. The only thing that can be done with some is size reductions. Especially on ships like trade ships and builder units. where there are hundreds on the map at any given time.

I wish I knew for sure, it dosn't seem like it would be the case, you don't even see many of them at any one time do you. There is no complex animations or transparecy, no special shaders. Obivously texture and mesh footprint dosn't matter in this case since once its in memory its not copied for each ship or anything stupid like that.

March 16, 2010 1:27:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hm ... For me the Skybox is realy broken,

Anyone know where Sins saving the Screenshots?

Can't find them atm ...

Edit: Fixed ...

Just re-enabled the two Skybox Options randomly a bit (seems its broken because it was a bit strange before i tested the Mod too).

The Game runs a little bit smoother but i think there is something to do with the Airstrike Units, i'm not sure but when i enable the Cinematic Mode they lagging me much more maybe you can have an eye on that.

March 16, 2010 9:21:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Screenshots are saved in the same "Ironclad Games\Sins of a Solar Empire" folder where your mod folders are.

In TGLF (taste great less filling) 0.01  I ONLY changed the main planets (Terran, Desert, Volcanic, Ice, and Gas Giant) and all Skybox's. Absolutely nothing else was altered. The current release is just a proof of concept that it can be done with very little loss of render quality. It is still very rough. The new planet, and skybox textures can use some more work, and cleanup.

I am not surprised your strike craft lag you a little, because they werent touched at all.... At least not yet. Cinematic mode disables the icons, but as far as i know it renders all of the meshes hidden on the map. Even if they are zoomed so far out that you cant see them. So that causes a big framerate drop. Disabling Cinematic replaces the meshes with the icons. At least that is how i understand it. (Feel free to correct me if i am wrong).

Speaking of Strike Craft. I am finding out some very interesting things the more i study Original Sins itself. The Engine Trail texture for the strike craft is 128x256 res. It may seem small, but imagine hundreds (or in the strike crafts case thousands) of these duplicated at once. I cant see how "instancing" prevents a sharp memory increase. So I reduced them to 32x64 res. You know what the visual difference in game was?.. ZERO. No difference at all. Even zoomed in all the way as close as possible to the strike craft. The engine trails look exactly the same at 64 res as the do at 256 res. The difference is a 120 kb memory savings. Now that may seem like nothing at all, but it is these little things that can make a huge difference when you add it all up. This is the goal i am trying to accomplish.

March 16, 2010 10:26:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am so impressed by this effort.  Fantastic work (just had to say it again).  I am installing it now (my first mod) and will use it as a default.  Feel free to request feedback as needed.  Really looking forward to seeing how far this can go.

March 17, 2010 1:29:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Great idea Stress!

I've always wondered what the deal was with strike craft lagging the game, now i know.

I'm not much of a modder, but I do have a degree in 3D animation in 3d studio max, and am quite profitient in photoshop... If ya need any help, let me know - I would love to see this in full effect on the game.

SivCorp

March 17, 2010 2:08:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am about 1/3 done hitting the Original Sins particles (not entrenchment or diplomacy yet) with the nerf bat. It is not as simple as just reducing the texture sizes themselves. I have to look over each texture both in game, and in photoshop after the nerf to make sure as little detail was lost as possible. If too much is lost then the texture gets reverted back to its original size. However most of the vanilla particle textures are in TGA format with no mip maps. In some cases just a simple conversion to DDS (with mip maps) is more than enough. Still i have to check the texture and make sure very litte loss occured with the conversion. A little is acceptable, but if the image pixelates then it is unacceptable.

The next update to the mod 0.02 will be Planets, Skybox's, and Particles, and i am talking about ALL of the particles. It should be done tommorow, or by the weekend at the latest.

March 17, 2010 3:49:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wonderful idea.

March 17, 2010 4:16:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very good Idea. Have yet to try it out.

As for TGA's, i think most of them could be converted to dds, except the ones for UI Elements (which would give by far and large the most savings) because in the UI every pixelation would be noticeable. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

So thanks for the effort. In the end, I more than would prefer Ironclad to port sins to 64Bit. Transitions like this are not that much effort (as other developers have proven) and the instant benefit would be huge! Also it would make the engine more future-proof. If they ever plan to make a sins 2 (without dumbing it down to mainstream levels) they have no choice but make it 64Bit, so why not do it now and build up from there?

Ironclad - are you listening? This is not only important for modders, but for anyone with a good computer who wants to play a game with a huge map without crashing or lowering the visual details. And BTW, just for the sake of future-proofness, add more multithreading. Heck, I would even pay for such an upgrade (5 € for you that is)

March 17, 2010 4:49:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is my question of compatibility with Distant Stars because its using some improvements and particle changes. I dont know the exact System if every Effect is just a "compilation" of some Effects that are implented already or if they add completley new ones ...

And atm i think the same about the Strikecrafts, its not smooth with hundrets of them (100 Strikes, one Strike have arround 3-5 Ships (?) that are 300-500 ...). Maybe Tradeships are a Problem too but i think that there are many Textures wich are badly optimized and all together makes the Game so slow.

March 17, 2010 10:25:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So, is this mod only for 64 bit systems? Or does it improve performance for any system?

March 17, 2010 2:12:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

He remove and / or reduce just some Parts of the Originals so its for 32Bit and 64Bit.

March 17, 2010 2:39:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have to say im impressed with what you've been doing so far Major. Once your further down the line we'll see about integrating this in to Distant Stars however we do use (as some others have pointed out) alot of extra textures in our mod which whilst wont degredate from using your changes may help us incorporate some other changes we've been talking about with the community lately.

I'm glad to see your looking at optimising the strikecraft, because sadly those and trade/refinery vessels are infact the biggest lagger of the game. The games engine whilst good cannot handle processing the thousands some times tens of thousands of strikecraft that can build up which causes huge issues in lag.

An optimisation suggestion I have for you is to reduce the amount of strikecraft per squadron whilst increases the damage/statistics for them relatively, also as we've done in Distant Stars reducing the amount of Trade and Refinery vessels per trade port exponentially helps with the build up of the game. This does however cause some issues with working out the new values to set for the trade ships however im sure your up to the task

March 17, 2010 3:05:26 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Good opportunity to add the Leviathon transport from Farscape *cough* (I have the HW model of it).  What would be most helpful in regards to mods is perhaps a catalogue/change file detailing what files are altered in the Optimization mod--then the creators of those mods would have a template on how to modify theirs.

March 17, 2010 3:23:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Can we get a screenshot of the pole pinch problem?

March 17, 2010 9:19:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No need... Just download the mod and see for yourself. Its not bad on some planets but others it really stands out. Working on ways to fix the pinch problem. Already tried a pole pinch correction plugin for photoshop, but it screws the rest of the texture up. BADLY. The planet textures need to be re-done anyway, because i can do better with them. What is in now are just quick, and dirty textures just to see if this can be done at all.

Distant Stars may have issues with the particles once i get finished with the particle release. As far as i can see thats the only issue. Just replace what i did with your own particles and you should be good.

Strike craft meshes run between 500-700 triangles. Which is not bad at all. The textures are generally 512x512's which also isnt bad. However as the above pointed out there can be thousands on the map. How many of you remain focused on a single strike craft throughout an entire game. I think its safe to say nobody. They are pretty to look at, but can use the nerf bat down to 256's, or even 128's if the quality is good enough. As i said before we cant nerf them so low that they pixelate or lose tons of detail. Some loss will happen. The point is to keep it to a minimum. Ill experiment with this once i get to strike craft themselves.

I will NOT change any gameplay aspect of Sins with this mod. Vanilla Sins stats will not be touched nor will amounts of craft per squad. We are optimizing the existing game.. Not creating a new game.

Sins is a 32 bit game. It will ALWAYS be a 32 bit game. It runs on both 32, and 64 bit systems. There is NO programming being done with this project. None at all. If i could convert sins to 64 bit do you honestly think i would do it for free? Hell no! I couldnt program if my life depended on it anyway

This really isnt a "Mod" ether. More like an endeavor. What we are doing is taking the already existing Sins assets, and finding new ways to optimize them to lessen the memory footprint Sins as an entire game makes. Even if it is only a few hundred megs. Thats a few hundred meg buffer zone so that Sins doesnt hit the 2 gig brick wall. Using methods like

1) Mesh poly count reductions, or re-building an existing mesh smarter. By not having 100 tri's on a square. Not having a bunch of hidden triangles which the game renders anyway. Not having 3500 tri's for a trade ship. Not 12,000 triangles for a starbase. Not using 200 triangles for something that really only needs 20 triangles. Bigger does not mean better.

2) Texture conversion, and re-sizing. Converting ALL TGA textures to DDS will improve the memory footprint big time. Resizing textures that are unnecessarily huge. The Skybox, Planet, Starbase, and some particle textures for example. Re-uvmapping existing models with more effeiciant textures. Ships that have an unnecessarily large texture. Builder units, and Trade ships dont need a 2048, or 1024 texture. 512 will work just fine. Starbases dont need a 4096 texture. 2048 will give the same result.

3) Eliminating as much texture "waste" as possible. The Planet, and UI textures are an example of this waste. Vanilla planets use 2048x2048 textures that 1024x1024 pixels of that texture is blank wasted space. With some models texture waste is unavoidable, but there are quite a few models in sins that can use a texture re-size, and re-uvmapping. The UI is also a big culprit in the wasted texture space department. with one big texture a good 80% waste. Again bigger does not mean better.

Modelers are told to be a true artist you must present your ideas the best way that you can in as few polys (triangles) as possible.

These are some of the methods i plan on using.. If anyone knows a quicker, better way, SAY SO.

long day at work today.. tired. will talk more later.

March 17, 2010 9:34:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

for performance I've been remodelling my strike craft in SOGE to around 100 tris seems to make a big difference ( I think sins is very flaky when it comes to switching out the meshes for icons and it is pretty awful about rendering EVERYTHING on cinema mode as you mentioned)

granted Ihave no plans of poly reducing the bigger ships or hitting the texture sizes, but LOW poly fighters seems to help a lot on the frame rate issues

March 17, 2010 10:53:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That is the reason why i wanted to know if the meshes themselves were more memory, or cpu intensive. Granted lower polys helps in ether case (especially for video cards), However Sins seems to have the ability to render higher poly meshes (for an RTS) with ease. The same poly counts Sins uses on engines like Homeworld 2, or Dawn of War would bring your system (even if its top of the line) to its knees. This is one of the main features that attracted me to Sins in the first place. The ability to run quality models on low end systems.

If indeed it turns out the meshes use more CPU than system ram then poly reductions may not be necessary.

March 17, 2010 11:52:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, I'm convinced. This is going to be awesome. How long, you think, will it be until it's finished?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0003735   Page Render Time: