Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Balancing is just Broken

By on May 15, 2012 4:37:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Rovert10

Join Date 06/2011
+19

The balancing in its current state to be frank is crap and everything is broke.

I personally have no clue as how to fix any of this. IDK if any of the other guys on ICO have a clue.

Let's go through the number of problems.

1. Corvettes

• Beta 1 (beginning) - Okay they were a bit useless but at least they didn't go screwing up balancing everywhere for everything
  • Beta 2 and 3 - These are blantantly screwing up with any early game.

2. Vasari Rebels - Starbase Jumping

• Okay it's a great idea but why the hell is it just a 1 time cheap research? Make it a very expensive module.
  • This thing now just dominates the rush with the exception of maybe the TEC in the mid to late game if TEC brings their specific counters.
  • You just rush the SB and start jumping in wells to massacre everything. I doubt you can mass enough bombers or orgovs to stop it before it's too late especially since Vasari neut grab like crazy
  • And why can we jump multiple SBs in a well? So I have placeholders case one dies. No worries here if I lose one I have another on standby. Really? And it's actually bugged so you can have all of them operate.

3. Corsev

• Ties in with the corvette problem
  • Has AOE AND a tanking ability to make it a overpowered first capital ship

4. Rebels vs Loyalists

• There really isn't any point to playing a loyalists faction atm.
  • Their rebel counterparts are superior in pretty much everyway.

Those are some of the bigger problems in my book. But theres a hell of a ton more. Anyone willing to state a problem please feel free to post it here. I'll probably merge them into this posts through edits or just have it as an info dump.

Locked Post 103 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 15, 2012 4:49:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Literally nothing you said was correct except perhaps point 2 but I haven't used it yet. 

May 15, 2012 4:54:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting R3DT1D3,
Literally nothing you said was correct except perhaps point 2 but I haven't used it yet. 

Looks like someone doesn't know what he's talking about...

May 15, 2012 4:55:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It was all correct. +1

May 15, 2012 5:03:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And this is why we are in BETA....

May 15, 2012 5:04:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

All he sad is 100% correct.

He is talking about multiplayer balance.

May 15, 2012 5:07:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Starbase jumping should not be so simple. Its basically no longer a starbase, but a full blown capship/titan now.

Loyalists need a buff. 

May 15, 2012 5:17:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Removed.

May 15, 2012 5:18:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ShotmanMaslo,
Starbase jumping should not be so simple. Its basically no longer a starbase, but a full blown capship/titan now.

Loyalists need a buff. 

called it! vasari get 2 titans

May 15, 2012 5:30:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In all honesty, the Vasari (and particularly the VR) can now basically get free unlimited ships.  The Orky for the rebels is now basically a second titan which means that the VR can steamroll any defense they so choose except maybe for Twin Fortresses when close together or with BRB.

Not only that, but once the Rankulas hits level 6, it can start producing Greater Nanite Swarms which have no lifespan, meaning you get free decently powerful frigates periodically.  Just making them not phase jump would solve this IMO.  I'm fine with the ability to produce them, but as long as they can phase jump, you basically have free frigates.  And on top of that, the Rankulas is incredibly powerful to begin with.  It can create it's own private fleet.

May 15, 2012 5:48:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Polistes,
And this is why we are in BETA....

That's good and all but it has gotten to point of just game breaking with no real clear solutions.

Everything that has been added needs to be reworked in terms of balance without having the ships roles dramatically changed.

May 15, 2012 5:55:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Rovert10,

Quoting Polistes, reply 4And this is why we are in BETA....

That's good and all but it has gotten to point of just game breaking with no real clear solutions.

Everything that has been added needs to be reworked in terms of balance without having the ships roles dramatically changed.

Someone send it to Yarlen pls.

May 15, 2012 6:11:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Qu4r,
Quoting Rovert10, reply 10
Quoting Polistes, reply 4And this is why we are in BETA....

Someone send it to Yarlen pls.

At least they can't add anything new now to make balance worse.

Now the real task of fixing starts.

May 15, 2012 6:17:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting R3DT1D3,

I'd hate to point this out to you but everything you have said is incorrect and he is correct.

The corsev is indeed broken I posted a replay somewhere showing that it is.

Alot of other points I agree with as well.

Corvettes were easy to fix you keep them the way they are, give battlecruisers flak turrets, give starbases flak turrets. Bam no more Corvette problems.

May 15, 2012 6:21:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Corvettes are not as cost effective as before.

Rebel and Loyalist isn't a big problem. In beta 2, most ppl choose rebel because they like a more offensive titan.

May 15, 2012 6:23:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is it just me, or does anyone else thinks that perhaps the Orkuluses (Orkuli?) should be able to jump only into adjacent gravitywell, if its your own? So you could move them only to help out defense?

EDIT: Thinkin about it more, if it proves to be OP, i would do following changes:

Make SB Mobilisation 2-stage research. Keep it at level 5. First level would allow you to jump the Orkulus to any adjacent well, which is owned by you. Second level would allow you to jump to adjacent well, if its owned by your ally. You cant never jump to enemy well. 

May 15, 2012 6:24:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Also the TEC-R titan looks like a giant gun. badass.

May 15, 2012 6:25:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting MayallCommunion,
Also the TEC-R titan looks like a giant gun. badass.

That's because it IS a giant gun. Approximately a 20km long gauss rail cannon. With more guns attached to it, and even more guns inside it, and some missiles launchers.

Oh, and I believe there's an engine somewhere in all that firepower.

May 15, 2012 6:32:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

my solution would be to delay the appearance of Mobile Orku.

Raise the research to tier 7 or 8 and enable mobilization to be last upgrade (meaning you won't have access to the mobilization upgrade unless you have finished the first 7 upgrade)

May 15, 2012 6:43:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It is moments like these where I'm glad I can mod this game...

May 15, 2012 6:44:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's moments like these I'm glad D3 is out.

May 15, 2012 6:50:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Pat_22_,

Quoting MayallCommunion, reply 16Also the TEC-R titan looks like a giant gun. badass.

That's because it IS a giant gun. Approximately a 20km long gauss rail cannon. With more guns attached to it, and even more guns inside it, and some missiles launchers.

Im sure they could just use the recoil from all that to move it about.

May 15, 2012 7:06:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Valkyness,
Quoting Pat_22_, reply 17
Quoting MayallCommunion, reply 16Also the TEC-R titan looks like a giant gun. badass.

Im sure they could just use the recoil from all that to move it about.

But then you'd have to be firing it continually, even when there are no hostiles.

Not that firing it non stop wouldn't be fun as hell, but you know, sometimes friendly targets might get in the way.

A slug from that hitting one of your own cities might not be good for your empire ( alliegance rate drops by 90%? )

May 15, 2012 7:27:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Pat_22_,

If there is one thing humans are good at, its blowing shit up.

May 15, 2012 7:36:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Pat_22_,
Not that firing it non stop wouldn't be fun as hell, but you know, sometimes friendly targets might get in the way.

A slug from that hitting one of your own cities might not be good for your empire ( alliegance rate drops by 90%? )

Yeah, I somehow think there would be consequences. Fun visual, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCoHT_cHPzY

May 15, 2012 7:44:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

[quote who="XubXub" reply="24" id="3154286"]Quoting Pat_22_, reply 22Not that firing it non stop wouldn't be fun as hell, but you know, sometimes friendly targets might get in the way.

Yeah, I somehow think there would be consequences. Fun visual, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCoHT_cHPzY[/quote]

I don't think such a thing would bother the TEC Rebels, as long as the gun is oriented away from their controlled space at all times....

Besides... the Ragnarov's main gun is probably somewhere more in the hundreds of gigatons when it hits, as opposed to the 38 kilotons of an alliance dreadnaught.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0007438   Page Render Time: