Sins of a Solar Empire : Real-Time Strategy. Unrivalled Scale.
© 2003-2016 Ironclad Games Corporation Vancouver, BC. All rights reserved.
© 2006-2016 Stardock Entertainment

Second opinion on method needed to pull off mod effect

By on December 3, 2013 10:20:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

furyofthestars

Join Date 08/2012
+13

Hi, just want to get a second opinion on what I see as being the "solution" to a mod I want to do.

I want to create a mod that creates a new Artifact, one that mirrors the effects of the Weapon Boost Artifact, but instead of applying to only the controlling player, it will also apply to their allies.

After briefly looking through everything, it appears to me as though the method I'd have to use is to create a new ability/buff combo (using the Advent Carrier's ability Energy Weapon Boost as a template example) that is tied to the possession of this Artifact and then have all/key ships/structures/whatever have this ability.  This would, obviously, result in the allies only receiving the buff when one of the Artifact controlling player's ships/whatever with this ability is in system.

That about sound right?  Does anyone know a "simpler" way?  I'm also assuming I can't create new modifiers (ie, "WeaponDamageAdjustment", the modifer used in many researches, including the Weapon Boost Artifact) as I can't find any kind of file that defines these (thus assuming they are hard coded engine side).

Locked Post 2 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 3, 2013 10:33:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm also assuming I can't create new modifiers

Nope.

After briefly looking through everything, it appears to me as though the method I'd have to use is to create a new ability/buff combo (using the Advent Carrier's ability Energy Weapon Boost as a template example) that is tied to the possession of this Artifact and then have all/key ships/structures/whatever have this ability.  This would, obviously, result in the allies only receiving the buff when one of the Artifact controlling player's ships/whatever with this ability is in system.

While this might work, keep in mind this would be an extremely intensive operation. I would not do it unless it was absolutely vital for some really unique feature, and personally I wouldn't consider an artifact like thing to be worth the upkeep.

Also you'd want to use a buffInstantActionType that applies the buff to all targets in the gravity well like the Sova's Embargo, rather than a radius like Amplify Energy Aura.

December 3, 2013 10:40:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, it does seem intensive and I forgot to add I had no intention of doing it that way. lol  If I did it, it would end up being a few key vessels.

Thanks for the tip on the Sova's Embargo.  Forgot about that.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time: