Kudos on a good thread with possible substance OP.
I'll echo the OP
- Be able to set a maximum number of mines in a gravity well in increments of 5.
- Set a maximum number of mines per player.
- Make it so that once the limit is reached the mines first placed will despawn (or blow up), when new mines are placed
- Adjustable strength for mines ranging from Very Deadly to Annoying. Annoying = Not enough to kill off an entire fleet of ships and thus leave your planet completely undefended, but still strong enough to tip the battle into the defenders favor.
- A tactical structure that sweeps mines in your own systems at a very good pace. EMP beams from a turret gravity well radius to prevent Vasari mine raids at my planets(I hate you all who does that... with a passion!)
- Make mines completely invisible.
- Make a mine sweeper ship that detects said invisible mines and sweeps them. Make current process of mine sweeping easier and less of a pita.
- Make mines in stars decay over time, due to the rather inhospitable environment. EMP, solar flares, etc.
I have no coding experience so I have no idea how difficult these things are to implement, but I would wager that the easiest and simplest solution would be:
- Have an option to turn both mines and starbases on/off at game options screen.
- Starbases need more firepower. At the moment they are great at defending against small harassment fleets but no use against larger fleets. I almost always play with large fleets on, and I haven't tried small fleets but I would guess that starbases are hard to destroy with small fleets.