thats the most ridiculous intellectually dishonest argument against a target cap i've ever seen. you basically said "they can't change it because...someone will cheat the changed system".Actually, it sounded mroe like "You can't target cap it. They'll just throw more ships at it!"
Maybe this'll be clearer, "You can't target cap it. They'll just throw ships at it that are useless otherwise and they'll throw enough to completely negate MB."
This is equivalent to changing the Marza's lvl 6 to "Reduces opponent fleet supply by mB_targetcap*chaffshipsupply*avgMB_uses_perbattle."
I play Vasari, 7 is a likely supply number, 24 target cap is a popular number, let's say you have 50/50 on fire MB a second time before you're focus fired killed.
So every time someone lvl 6s a marza you take a 24 x 7 x 1.5 = 252 fleet supply hit.
1. So don't build chaff. Instead of 252 in waste ships, you lose that or more in highly valuable ships. Not a win.
2. Make the targeting random. Even worse, it over nerfs and over costs to counter. With 100 ships in range, and 20 of them are the ships you need to hit to damage the fleet (caps, support cruisers), you now have a 5% chance of hitting them. 95% of your missiles do collateral damage.
3. As TEC, only build marzas. A 4 player FFA means every time you lvl 6 one you wasted 750 of fleet supply across your enemies. Big win!
4. As TEC, never separate your marzas. Your opponent needs to bring 144 chaff to keep from losing his support cruisers when you get your third MB off. Weee!
5. As nonTEC, just spam your chaff. Build some colonizers as needed. 144 weak chaff will still get a couple shots off.
I cannot imagine a thought out scenario when using a target cap is a win in terms of improving balance and not neutering MB. I would love to be enlightened on this. But if you continue think beyond that first battle where you use the rebalanced MB, target cap goes to poop.