This tutorial is to help people with importing their Sketchup models into XSI for sins, as there will always be someone like myself who prefers Sketchup for modding over XSI.
*Just so you know, for this tutorial the programs i have used are Google Sketchup (free version) and Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 (which is also free)
Sketchup to XSI
- Explode the model completely
- Export model from sketchup as .kmz
- Rename the file and change extension to .zip
- Extract files
- Move textures file to model folder
in XSI Modtool (7.5 is my version)
- go to file, crosswalk, import
- select the .dae file and done.
Now, when I began trying to texture these models i found that the mesh simply dissappeared when i chose the texture veiwing option on XSI, and reappeared when i changed it back to wireframe. What people told me to do originally was to add a phong or other material to the texture, but I found that when you change back to the texture veiw again that only fractions will be textured and it will look a complete mess. If you get this problem, follow the steps i figured out below;
- Press the 8 key to open up the explorer
- Find Scene Root
- Locate the files named mesh and move them under the Scene Root branch
* In my case, there are a number of meshs that are named in green, i have deleted these before i continue further
- Select the mesh files and right click (use keyboard button for this, as the button on the mouse doesn't seem to come up with all the options) and select merge
- When you merge, set tolerance to 0 and tell it to delete the original files
- Now, clean up the Scene root of everything but the camera and the new polymesh
* In my case, I have (other than light) a ZUpToYUp and ImportCrosswalkOptions to remove
* To remove ZUpToYUp, remove all the possible options under it and then delete it,
* Once this has been removed, the ImportCrosswalkOptions can be removed by simply deleting it
Now when you change the veiw settings to texture it should look like any other XSI model, and you can continue doing what you need to from there.